Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How does one set up folders on the SD Card so that you can add audio files?

I added some songs but they were all in one big list -- I want them to be in separate folders, a folder for each cd...

I have searched and see that an /AUDIO folder is necessary on the card, but I've got my card in the Treo and even when I had audios on there I could see them from Real Player but couldn't see them when I viewed the card ---

Thanks for help in advance from a newbie (who DID search first

MG
    If you don't have a card reader, Resco Explorer will let you create folders on the SD card using the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    If you don't have a card reader, Resco Explorer will let you create folders on the SD card using the Treo.
    So I can't do it using Palm Quick Install / Palm Desktop without a card reader or using the Treo itself?
    I don't know for sure, because I don't use Palm Quick Install to install movie or music files to the card. I use a card reader. I looked at the Palm Desktop and didn't see any way to create folders for the SD card and tell it where to put the files. I think it just puts all the music files into the audio folder.

I deleted the audio folder from my SD card and created another folder called MP3. I then created sub folders inside the MP3 folder for each artist.

I also have Real Player removed from the Treo with a custom ROM and use Pocket Tunes Deluxe instead. It has no problem finding the files and playing them. I've heard that Real Player needs to have the files in the audio folder, but I really don't know for certain.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the help -

So if I download Resco I should be able to see the audio file?

I can't see it now - I've read that you can't see it without card reader or a program like Resco --

I can put subfolders in the audio folder I guess - no biggy -- Thanks.

MG
    Actually, Filez will let you create folders also. I just noticed it. Filez is free.
    Well if you don't have a card reader....Card export II is a nice program. It turns your treo into a removable drive. You can drag/drop the audio files into a folder on your sd card and you can edit the folders from your computer. Nice program.
    StrangeReaction says ....

I deleted the audio folder from my SD card and created another folder called MP3. I then created sub folders inside the MP3 folder for each artist.
    do you have ptunes deluxe in ROM ......

and you say that it recognises that file structure ok .... ie .. no audio ... just mp3 .... do you have adifferent set of folders for other audio formats ie wav etc? ....

and when you open up ptunes to see all the songs on the card do you see all the songs that are in all the folders in one big long list ... or do you just see a list of folders and have to then click on each one ?... or do you have to specifically navigate p tunes to whatever folder you want to listen to each time?

regards
    Bump ..

anybody? ... please ....

i am keen to following up on this post ... i am getting to the point with my treo where i am ready to transfer some of my MP3's to the card and am keen to find out how others set up their folders to do this ....

i really have two parts to my questions ..

1. this is really an MP3 question ..... my MP3 collection is huge... and most are recorded at the highest quality that i possibly could ... so the file size of each mp3 is huge ... from memory i think most individual songs hit about 10 - 15mb with albums running much higher ... but that is just from memory (i am at a different comp - i will check this later when i can)

i don't want to load such large MP3 files onto my treo .. even with my 2gb card that will fill up mighty quick .... and as i am listening thru earbuds i just want good quality ... not superb quality ...

is there a tool that i can use to change my MP3's to a smaller ... and hence lesser quality file size ...and what file size or compression ratio ( i am not sure of the correct term) is best to use for MP3 on the treo ...

i think i am ok with copying them over from the comp onto the card after reading thru lots of these posts ... but ....

2. i am still a little confused re that correct file structure ...

why change the folder from audio (does the audio file name have to be in caps to work properly?) to MP# ... what advantage is that? .... do you use other folders for wav files etc ???

what sub folders do most use within audio ... is it best to allocate one folder for each artist .... and then ALL that artists songs inside that in one big bunch ... or do you put sub folders inside those with each album having its own folder within their folder ...

or ...

do you put on folder for each genre ... ie all jazz into one big jazz folder ... all hip hop into it's own folder etc .... or genre/ artist/ album etc ...

how many levels can palm or aeroplayer (in rom) ....which is the one i use... altho i do have a registered copy of pocket tunes that i have not installed cause i prefer aeroplayer ...

and when you open up ptunes to see all the songs on the card do you see all the songs that are in all the folders in one big long list ... or do you just see a list of folders and have to then click on each one ?... or do you have to specifically navigate p tunes to whatever folder you want to listen to each time?
    told you i was confused ....

regards
    aussietanker
    bump....

anybody?
    I created my 1st few with FileZ in my early days of Treo ownership. You will have to type \audio\cdone....\audio\cdtwo etc. These days I do it using Softick Card Export II from the desktop.
    As for audio quality....high fidelity and mp3 are kind of contradictory. Most compression utilities accomplish compression by "losing" some of the sound quality. If you don't want to lose anything, then you could use SHN format fo "lossless" compression. The most widely used WAV/SHN/MP3 converter is MKW Audio Toolkit from Michael K Weise. For ability to change into mutlile formats tho, one of the most widely used tools is Goldwave, popular because it can be used for free.

As for folder, note that some players can not see inside of subfolders. However most of the popular windows ones don't have that limitation. As for the Treo, I simply haven't experimented as the Treo as it's not exactly a hi fidelity device.
    Under Audio, I have separate folders for each artist and under each artist, separate folders for each album. That seems to work fine with Ptunes deluxe and Real Player. It is good to have them under some generic main folder such as audio because there are restrictions on the number of folders you can have in the root of the SD. In Ptunes, you will see only those songs that are in a specific subfolder if you use choose songs. However, you can make a playlist that includes all albums/songs for a given artist if you want to. I think you just have to try it to see what works best for you.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/13/2006 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    do you have ptunes deluxe in ROM ......
    No, I just have Real Player removed from ROM. Ptunes is in RAM.

and you say that it recognises that file structure ok .... ie .. no audio ... just mp3 .... do you have adifferent set of folders for other audio formats ie wav etc? ....
    Donít get confused by me removing the audio folder and creating a folder called MP3. It doesnít have any benefit over calling it audio, itís just want I wanted the folder to be called. It doesnít matter if you have MP3, WMA, OGG etc. files in the folder. As long as you have the codecs for the files, Ptunes will see them.

Inside the MP3 folder I have subfolders with each artist. Inside the artist subfolder, I have a subfolder for each album. You can have Ptunes search for all the music or just one artist, album, or song if you want.
    2. i am still a little confused re that correct file structure ...

why change the folder from audio (does the audio file name have to be in caps to work properly?) to MP# ... what advantage is that? .... do you use other folders for wav files etc ???
    It doesnít have to be in caps. You donít have to rename or remove the audio folder. I just wanted to call the folder MP3. Thatís the only reason I changed it. Thereís no benefit or drawback to doing it.
    ok ... thank you all ...

that's a great starting point for me .. i will go off and track down the MKW Audio Toolkit as per Jacks suggestion ....

thank you to jrfaris and to StrangeReaction for your help ... it is greatly appreciated, and has given me pretty much what i need to know to get the storage side on the treo organised ....

i realize that i could have just mucked around, experimented a little ... tried a few things and then deleted what didn't work etc ....but my treo is running sooooo good that i am getting kind of phobic about "messing with it" too much these days ..... at least this way i won't be to far off the right track ....

now..... how do i squeeze 180 GB music onto a 2GB card ......

also slightly off track ....

Jack said .....

As for audio quality....high fidelity and mp3 are kind of contradictory. Most compression utilities accomplish compression by "losing" some of the sound quality. If you don't want to lose anything, then you could use SHN format fo "lossless" compression.
    Maybe Jack or someone else equally with experience in these things can comment or advise further on this ...

once i have payed for my songs i have the option of downloading them in one of several different formats (but i think that if i want to download a particular song in two different formats i need to pay twice) .... i can download songs as either an MP3, AAC, MPC, MPEG-4 AAC, OGG, or WMA format ......

in the past i have always chosen MP3 just cause i know what an MP3 is ... well kind of .... and have never heard of the others .... ...... i did however notice that the "aeroplayer" app that i use has an AAC and OGG plugin ...so i guess that someone uses them ...

is one format better quality than the other?

i can also select different "bit rates" .. (i assumed that a higher bit rate = higher quality) starting at a rate of about 50kbps for lectures and speeches etc up to around 320 kbps for higher quality audio ..... i have always just selected the highest quality MP3 in the past ...

there is also an option to download a song .....in its original format, (copied from original audio CD in the PCM / 44.1 Khz / 16 bit format) .... supposedly preserving every single bit of audio data from the original source.

i kind of realize that my treo is not a high quality audio device ... but i am sure from reading many posts here in TC that provided i get a balance between the bit rate, file size etc ..it's going to be ok for just listening to stuff thru reasonable earbuds or a smallish headset while on the bus, train, car etc .... going to work ... or on the walker at the gym ... down the beach etc .... or am i just kidding myself ?

hopefully someone in the know can comment on these last points a little more ...

these replies have been most helpful and i am sure will help to steer not only myself but many others into getting more out of their treos ...

thanks all
    Last edited by aussietanker; 03/15/2006 at 05:13 AM.
    bump .....

can anyone else comment on the points raised in post #16... specifically ...

once i have payed for my songs i have the option of downloading them in one of several different formats (but i think that if i want to download a particular song in two different formats i need to pay twice) .... i can download songs as either an MP3, AAC, MPC, MPEG-4 AAC, OGG, or WMA format ......

in the past i have always chosen MP3 just cause i know what an MP3 is ... well kind of .... and have never heard of the others .... ...... i did however notice that the "aeroplayer" app that i use has an AAC and OGG plugin ...so i guess that someone uses them ...

is one format better quality than the other?
    and also in regard to the best size or bitrate to save an mp3 or ogg file as for transfer and storage on an sd card etc ...ie a reasonable compromise between quality ( = big file size") and a file size that allows a reasonable number of songs to be stored on the card ( = small file size) .... i am not looking for perfect fidelity ... hey , it's a treo after all ..... just a reasonable "easy listening" sound quality ...

i kind of realize that my treo is not a high quality audio device ... but i am sure from reading many posts here in TC that provided i get a balance between the bit rate, file size etc ..it's going to be ok for just listening to stuff thru reasonable earbuds or a smallish headset while on the bus, train, car etc .... going to work ... or on the walker at the gym ... down the beach etc .... or am i just kidding myself ?

hopefully someone in the know can comment on these last points a little more ...

these replies have been most helpful and i am sure will help to steer not only myself but many others into getting more out of their treos ...
    please ....
    thanks all
    Treo 650, GSM 120 LAP Custom ROM, 2GB Ultra 2 SanDisk Card
    Basically, I am a proponent of the "fair use" doctrine that was established by the courts when casette tapes hit the market. I will not use any music which uses a DRM scheme I can't beat. I also will not use any music for which I don't have a sales receipt or original media. As for how to do this, please recognize that posting such information could get the TC folks some heat so I gonna skip that part....any apt googler can find what they need tho.

As for what quality, I don't have your ears so you are gonna have to experiment as to what you find tolerable.
    I'm no expert but this is what I've heard. ogg preserves quality better than mp3 for a given file size. I remember a post linking to further information on that so if you search you can probably find it.
    I use mp3's for reasons similar to yours. Most of my files are 112 Kbps which gives about 6MB for a 7 minute song. I have a few at 192 Kbps which ups the size to about 10MB for the same song. I'm not too critical of sound quality so I really don't notice the difference. I've not tried any significantly lower bitrates. Considering getting a larger SD instead.

Also you might want to start a new thread as we're a bit off topic now...
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/31/2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Hiya Jack ....

Basically, I am a proponent of the "fair use" doctrine that was established by the courts when casette tapes hit the market. I will not use any music which uses a DRM scheme I can't beat. I also will not use any music for which I don't have a sales receipt or original media. As for how to do this, please recognize that posting such information could get the TC folks some heat so I gonna skip that part....any apt googler can find what they need tho.
    thanks for the info and heads up ...all my music is well and truly paid for, so the thought that giving info about the file type and size could get someone into trouble didn't even cross my mind ... sorry, i didn't mean to compromise anyone ... ..

i did google it, and much of my earlier post was in fact an attempt to clarify what i had read elsewhere as i didn't really understand the finer details of the inks that i read, which is why i was hoping to get the points clarified in a more "user friendly" verbiage ....

it seems that there is also some (too me anyway) contradictorary info "out there" as some sites refer to the WAV format as being
    typically used for smaller files; low-quality output.
    and MP3 as being
    These files have near-CD sound quality
    while others refer to both WAV and MP3 as being "not as good" as Ogg Vorbis ...

but again, thanks for the reply, i think i'm gradually working it out
    Treo 650, GSM 120 LAP Custom ROM, 2GB Ultra 2 SanDisk Card
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast