Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The basic difference between digital and analog music fall into several categories. With analog recording a sound recording could be represented on a screen as a curved line. Think of a coloring book with a picture of Mickey Mouse. A digital signal you can think of as a connect the dots picture with the dots really close together. When you compress a file to an MP3, it loses some of the dots...when you expand it again, those dots that were lost are gone and don't get restored.

OTOH, Let's say I take a recording of the Grateful Dead at the largest rock concert ever (How many peeps know what that was ?). They're known to go on a bit so let's say that the files average 100MB (100,265,863 bytes) per wav file. Now they don't care if I put this up on my web site fo the world to share but if you gonna d/l all 20 songs, that gonne tie up a server and your broadband connection a while.

So you compress it down into a SHN file of 45 MB and an MP3 file of say 15 MB. If I convert the SHN file back to the wav format I gonna get a file of excatky the 100,265,863 bytes I started with. The MP3 file, no matter what the sampling arte will always be smaller and be missing soem portion of the original material.

You can get quite an education at the etree.org site.
    Hi jrfaris ....

thanks for this ....
    ogg preserves quality better than mp3 for a given file size
    that kind of confirms what i have been coming up with myself ....

and this is just the kind of experience and feedback that i was looking for ...
    Most of my files are 112 Kbps which gives about 6MB for a 7 minute song. I have a few at 192 Kbps which ups the size to about 10MB for the same song. I'm not too critical of sound quality so I really don't notice the difference.
    when i buy my music i get to choose what format and bitrate (and that actually affect how much that particular song or album costs me BTW) ...

.... so i have always just chosen to pay the extra and download at the highest bitrate possible .... they call it CD quality ...

if i want the same song again, but in a different file format then i have to pay for it again .... so i might try a few new ones in Ogg Vobis, and at a lower bitrate than the highest CD quality one - i might in fact try the bitrate that is just under the rate that you have suggested.... just as an experiment .... i don't think that my ear is that discerning ... esp when driving in a car or on the train etc

i didn't mean to "hijack" this thread .... and didn't initially see the need to post in a seperate thread because in my mind it was all related to how much music can be stored on our cards and how it is best to structure or organize the storage of those files .... but again, i see your point about a new thread ... thank you for making it so gently

i think that i actually have all the info that i need now..... thank you for your help ... your reply was just the little bit of "user based" experience that i was looking for....

if anyone wants the outcome of my Ogg Vobis "experiment" i am happy for them to PM me .. if i get more than a few PM's i will put the info into a new thread and perhaps somehow reference or link to this one ..

thank all for the help .... now i am off to add a 4GB SD card to my Fathers Day "wish list" .....
    Treo 650, GSM 120 LAP Custom ROM, 2GB Ultra 2 SanDisk Card
    If I convert the SHN file back to the wav format I gonna get a file of excatky the 100,265,863 bytes I started with. The MP3 file, no matter what the sampling arte will always be smaller and be missing soem portion of the original material.

You can get quite an education at the etree.org site.
    thanks Jack ......i actually understood that explanation .. you should be a teacher ...

and thanks for the link ... i'm already on my way .....

regards
    aussietanker
    Treo 650, GSM 120 LAP Custom ROM, 2GB Ultra 2 SanDisk Card
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12