1.    #1  
    Hey. I have an unlocked Cingular-branded Treo 650 and I've been using it with unlocked Treo650-1.13-ROW for a while now. I loved that firmeware! Its time to make a decision on which update I want to apply. I am leaning towards 1.20 since Ive been so successful with the old unbranded firmware. However I did notice that sometimes the reception on the Treo was kind of ****ty. Sometimes I would talk and have static and I'd look at the bars and realize I have full bars! Then sometimes I would have a perfectly good conversation and look at the bars and notice the bars show NONE! It just seemed as if the bars were never accurate. Would the Cingular 1.17 correct this or is this just a Treo thing? Which firmware is more stable? What do you all use? Thanks for the input!
    How did you get the 1.13 Unlocked ROW on the phone? Did you downgrade first? I have 1.17CNG SW and FW 1.51, and have been reading all of the millions of posts about 1.20 and wondering whether its worth it to take the CNG SW off of my phone. Is the unlocked FW that much better????
    I downgraded mine and then up graded to 1.2 ENA. I decided that I would go for it rather than wait for cingular! I like it so far, the only problem I have is that Ringo causes a reset everytime i try to run it.
  4.    #4  
    anyone else? which is the better software? and is there any reason why the CNG software (1.17) would be better to use than the unlocked (1.20) if im using cingular?
    I have oft wondered that myself.
  6.    #6  
    no cingular users that have either 1.17 or 1.20 have comments?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Not much to say...
    I had 1.17 and it was stable...then I installed 1.20 and it's stable also.
    Not much difference at all...I guess I just installed 1.20 because it was newer.
    I think the lack of a difference is the reason you're not getting much response.
    --Nelson
    I am just wondering what Cingular puts in that might not be in the unbranded version.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    no cingular users that have either 1.17 or 1.20 have comments?
    I am feeling kinda stupid just for hearing that someone sucessfully upgraded from 1.17 CNG to 1.20. I have tried several times and it says it is not compatible (lamens terms). I have a cingular branded unlocked GSM or at least i think its unlocked. Can anyone tell me how to determine unlocked vs cingular branded unlocked for sure?
    I donwgraded first to the 1.13-ROW version, then upgraded to the 1.20-ENA. It worked fine that way.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    Hey. I have an unlocked Cingular-branded Treo 650 and I've been using it with unlocked Treo650-1.13-ROW for a while now. I loved that firmeware! Its time to make a decision on which update I want to apply. I am leaning towards 1.20 since Ive been so successful with the old unbranded firmware. However I did notice that sometimes the reception on the Treo was kind of ****ty. Sometimes I would talk and have static and I'd look at the bars and realize I have full bars! Then sometimes I would have a perfectly good conversation and look at the bars and notice the bars show NONE! It just seemed as if the bars were never accurate. Would the Cingular 1.17 correct this or is this just a Treo thing? Which firmware is more stable? What do you all use? Thanks for the input!
    I was in the same boat. I had 1.13, and then waited for the unbranded update. I upgraded to 1.20 and have been very happy in terms of stability. The jury's still out on phone reception. I think it's a little better at least. But I've gone over 10 days w/o a reset where before I couldn't go more than a day (because of the memory hogs I was using).

I'm a happy camper.

I can't say if you'd get better radio reception with 1.17. I didn't try that.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am a cingular customer and have used almost all of the ROM's that have come out so far. I have also recently started rolling my own ROM's and was surprised at how easy it is and how hard it is to brick the device. I use transitional firmware versions to go between cng branded and row/ena versions.

Lately I have been wrestling with getting Goodlink re-installed (2 weeks now without it) and think it has something to do with the custom firmware. I have tried every combination of firmware and installation methods and it hangs at 80% of the installation. Firmware related? I don't think so since I have tried 5 different versions (1.06, 1.13, 1.15, 1.17, 1.20) and they all produce the same situation. As I write this I am going back from my 1.17CNG custom ROM to the stock ROM and attempting one last effort to get goodlink installed.

The reason for this lengthy post is to say that going back and forth, using one or the other is really easy, painless, and safe. Personally I look at it as a leap frog effort. 1.20 is the latest but a newer version, say 1.21 will come out from cng. I like to always run the latest since many bug fixes and optimizations are included in each newer version.

I now have reservations since I am using goodlink, but otherwise my opinion always run the latest version no matter what brand it is.

Just my $0.02,
    Chris
    Old topic, but I am considering going from my customer 1.20-ENA release down to 1.17-CNG. Telenav does not seem to like the ENA software. Are there any custom ROMs for 1.17-CNG? It seems like most of the modifications were done to 1.20-ENA which makes sense since they both run on GSM phones.

Maybe there is someway to trick Telenav into thinking I have CNG software even though its ENA.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    As a test I want to try the "out of the box" 1.20-ENA ROM. I can find lots of custom version of this ROM.

Can anyone tell me where to find the SD files for the original 1.20-ENA release?

EDIT: I found it.
    Last edited by swieder; 12/23/2006 at 09:51 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante View Post
    I donwgraded first to the 1.13-ROW version, then upgraded to the 1.20-ENA. It worked fine that way.
    Yup.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650