Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Didn't see anyone post this over here yet (and was hesitant to do so because I wasn't sure how "secret" it was), but I and some others have been beta testing Mantragroup's (maker of Causerie) new mobiVoIP application for a couple of weeks now. Beta testing is limited to a small number of users however, and I EDGE service is spotty where I live so I'm not the best test case since it requires a fairly good data connection to be effective.

Check it out:
    http://www.mobivoip.net/

You can sign up for the free trial but beta testing of the app itself is still fairly limited, so you may not get the app right away if you register.

Cool concept, but hard to judge it either way due to spotty bandwith here.

Forums are now open again as well after 5+ months:
    http://www.mantragroup.com/forums

And for any Causerie users, the app is now at v3.1 if you weren't aware (I wasn't)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Can you use it to talk to ppl using Skype for free, would that be treated as connecting to POTS?
    Very interesting! Thanks for posting Scottymomo! Although I don't see my home country listed on the homepage I signed up for the beta anyway. One thing I couldn't seem to find out is whether this is SIP-based and if you need a special phone number. Care to enlighten us on that matter?
    Submitted request for beta, got feedback (username/password), downloaded the newest 0.8.5, installed it, "registed" the application, did the noise test and it just sits there "Connecting to server", I'm unable to do the Dial-3 loopback test.
    Soft-reset fixed the connecting to server issue, the echo test is a bit choppy. This looks like an interface to POTS systems and nothing like skype with VOIP<->VOIP calls. Not sure how useful it's going to be since I'm already no-roaming no-long distance. I've kicked off the email so they'll flip the switch and enable VOIP long-distance calling.

Again, this is like a tradtional VOIP application not something like Skype with IM-IM VOIP conversations. This is more VOIP->POTS based on what I've seen now.
    Great idea in theory, and one I would love, as a single source phone that works wherever I am and on cellular or wireless bands depending on my location.

But even at full signal on Verizon, the QoS (Quality of Service) is deemed low for 1xRTT (which they admit may or may not work), and the call quality is choppy and frankly unusable.

This is the future of telephony, but apparently 1xRTT won't support it.
    Yeah... I was another one of the early beta testers and found it less than usable with Cingular's stock GPRS service. I only get around 30-50 kB/s using dslreports 100K test. Mantra recommends at least 60 and even then suggests turning of debug and using noise limiting to enhance the signal. I also show a tremendous latency (on the order of a second... sometimes more). That also makes the experience less than enjoyable.

It would be interesting to hear how it performs on someone's treo who really has a higher speed connection ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Yeah... I was another one of the early beta testers and found it less than usable with Cingular's stock GPRS service. I only get around 30-50 kB/s using dslreports 100K test. Mantra recommends at least 60 and even then suggests turning of debug and using noise limiting to enhance the signal. I also show a tremendous latency (on the order of a second... sometimes more). That also makes the experience less than enjoyable.

It would be interesting to hear how it performs on someone's treo who really has a higher speed connection ;-)
    1xRTT SprintPCS user, unlimited vision. ~120 to 110Kbps, echo test ran fine with about 2 seconds of latency. The initial recording was choppy however echo-test results were crystal clear. Configured audio profile for 32db noise clamping with no noise supression.
    Curious how the sound quality of MobiTV is acceptable (even while streaming video), but audio alone is tougher to get with MobiIP. I assume it has to do with buffering the stream and acceptable latency times or some such technology that is beyond me....
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Curious how the sound quality of MobiTV is acceptable (even while streaming video), but audio alone is tougher to get with MobiIP. I assume it has to do with buffering the stream and acceptable latency times or some such technology that is beyond me....
    I'd imagine it's an issue with the conversation being bi-directional and the asymetric qualities of the 1xRTT service.
    Interesting... I think this would be even more useful when the 1xEvDo Palm OS treo is released. Also, has anyone commented on the audio quality via wifi using the Tx or enfora wifi sled for example?

Also, interoperability with Sype, Google Talk etc would be very high on my wish list as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Can you use it to talk to ppl using Skype for free, would that be treated as connecting to POTS?
    Micael: Yes, we do support calling mobiVoIP - mobiVoIP users.

For more information, please follow

http://www.mobivoip.net/howitworks.php
    Quote Originally Posted by djr
    Very interesting! Thanks for posting Scottymomo! Although I don't see my home country listed on the homepage I signed up for the beta anyway. One thing I couldn't seem to find out is whether this is SIP-based and if you need a special phone number. Care to enlighten us on that matter?
    djr: At this time, we are currently supporting PSTN calls to

Australia, China, Canada, Germany, Italy, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK and USA.

Just to clarify, you can make calls from anywhere but at this time restricted to the above countries.
    mobivoip...

emailed you yesterday. I am getting a ogin error when registering the app with your supplied username and PW.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Submitted request for beta, got feedback (username/password), downloaded the newest 0.8.5, installed it, "registed" the application, did the noise test and it just sits there "Connecting to server", I'm unable to do the Dial-3 loopback test.
    cesium1024: Please try now. We have disabled registration process for calling 3 - echo test.

http://www.mantragroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6 is the best place to check for mobiVoIP updates.

Thank you.
    Soft-reset fixed the connecting to server issue, the echo test is a bit choppy. This looks like an interface to POTS systems and nothing like skype with VOIP<->VOIP calls. Not sure how useful it's going to be since I'm already no-roaming no-long distance. I've kicked off the email so they'll flip the switch and enable VOIP long-distance calling.

Again, this is like a tradtional VOIP application not something like Skype with IM-IM VOIP conversations. This is more VOIP->POTS based on what I've seen now.
    About the echo test being choppy, the minimum Bandwidth required for the application is 60Kbs.

Yes, we do support internal calls between mobiVoIP - mobiVoIP users.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Great idea in theory, and one I would love, as a single source phone that works wherever I am and on cellular or wireless bands depending on my location.

But even at full signal on Verizon, the QoS (Quality of Service) is deemed low for 1xRTT (which they admit may or may not work), and the call quality is choppy and frankly unusable.

This is the future of telephony, but apparently 1xRTT won't support it.
    We actually have very good beta results from 1xRTT users. QoS is not that bad as expected with most GPRS connections in some places for 1xRTT.

What is the BW that you are getting?
    1xRTT SprintPCS user, unlimited vision. ~120 to 110Kbps, echo test ran fine with about 2 seconds of latency. The initial recording was choppy however echo-test results were crystal clear. Configured audio profile for 32db noise clamping with no noise supression.
    cesium: Godo to hear that. Is the initial recording always choppy?

Can you enable VAD (Voice Activity Detection aka Noise Suppression enabled and report back?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Interesting... I think this would be even more useful when the 1xEvDo Palm OS treo is released. Also, has anyone commented on the audio quality via wifi using the Tx or enfora wifi sled for example?

Also, interoperability with Sype, Google Talk etc would be very high on my wish list as well...
    Gaurav: We need a good BW and EvDO would be excellent. Sure it should 'very' well with WiFi, Enfora and even BT.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    mobivoip...

emailed you yesterday. I am getting a ogin error when registering the app with your supplied username and PW.

thanks
    We disabled the registration check now for making echo test calls. You should be able to choose Bandwidth Test from the menu options directly.

Please make sure that you have unlimited data or you will see a surprise in your next bill.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast