Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have yet been able to get the custom Radar Image to work.

1st it won't allow me to paste the url in that field.
    2nd when I type it in (lots of typing) I get nothing-I've tried with and without the www.
    I used the pda optimized radar site for accuweather and noaa. Should I be using the non optimized url?
    Anyone else have any issues.?
    Tks
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 02/05/2006 at 08:59 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I have yet been able to get the custom Radar Image.

1st it won't allow me to paste the url in that field.
    2nd when I type it in (lots of typing) I get nothing-I've tried with and without the www.
    I used the pda optimized radar site for accuweather and noaa. Should I be using the non optimized url?
    Anyone else have any issues.?
    Tks
    sorry TT, i do realize you can't paste yet which makes it a tedious task to type out the full URL (especially the URLs on that site in particular). some things that might help.

1. make sure you have "Use Custom Radar Image" checked.
    2. make sure you enter the FULL URL (starts with the http://)
    3. make sure the URL is a jpeg image (ends in a .jpg, not a .html)
    4. make sure the image is a jpeg < 62k in size

after you update profile with your new settings, check the profile log to view any errors. if you don't mind, please send the URL of the image that is not working to support@moxsi.com and i will take a look at it. thanks.
    Tks Scott,

I followed your suggestions above and am still having problems. I just sent you an email with the info you requested.

Tks Again
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    It looks like Weather Underground has some good radar images optimized for Mobile/PDA but they are .gif format. Can they be made viewable?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Tks Scott,

I followed your suggestions above and am still having problems. I just sent you an email with the info you requested.

Tks Again
    For the benefit of those following this thread, Scott was very repsonsive and helpful in resolving my issues

Good app and good support .
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    My one two issues with this app thus far:

1. I made a profile for Tampa, FL, and the radar and sattelite images are centered on New Orleans, with very little of Florida displaying. Why not use NWS NEXRAD sites by default?

2. I am travelling to Dallas today and wanted to see the weather there - but I would have to create (and then later remove) a one-use profile.

3. When I tried to create said profile, I needed a zip code that I don't know. Allowing city/state and/or airport codes would be great.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    That should obviously read 3 issue - can't edit the post from the mobile forums...

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    My one two issues with this app thus far:

1. I made a profile for Tampa, FL, and the radar and sattelite images are centered on New Orleans, with very little of Florida displaying. Why not use NWS NEXRAD sites by default?
    Even Katrina couldn't take out our powerful radar.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  9.    #49  
    1. I made a profile for Tampa, FL, and the radar and sattelite images are centered on New Orleans, with very little of Florida displaying..
    hey joeTampa, did you try to pan the image over to tampa. just use your stylus (or fingernail) and touch the image and drag it. xWeather will remember the pan position for each image.

2. I am travelling to Dallas today and wanted to see the weather there - but I would have to create (and then later remove) a one-use profile.
    hmmm, ...i'll have to think about this more.

3. When I tried to create said profile, I needed a zip code that I don't know. Allowing city/state and/or airport codes would be great.
    we have the capability to add a profile using city and state, we just haven't built/tested the interface for it yet. this is a feature that will be added in the future. specifying airport codes is a great idea. thanks for the feedback!
    Moxsi:

2 things:

1) - I might be hung over from the super-bowl, but the screenshots on your website rotated so fast I nearly puked trying to view them. I think much of that is my hang-over.

2) - It would be the bomb if the phone knows where it is (LBS / cell tower info) and used that info to only send relavent S.A.M.E. weather alerts. Don't know if that is do-able, but would be very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi
    hey joeTampa, did you try to pan the image over to tampa. just use your stylus (or fingernail) and touch the image and drag it. xWeather will remember the pan position for each image.
    No, I hadn't - the image didn't give the impression that I was viewing less than the entire image, if you get my meaning. While this works, I still would like the ability to zoom in to a given WSR-88D site. If you have ever used weathertap.com, you'll know what I mean. National radar, when clicked, zooms to regional, which, when clicked, zooms to individual site which, when clicked, zooms in on that image.

As far as SAME alerts and tower locations go - if that tower is jusssst across the county line, you'll either be notified of things that won't impact you or not be warned about things that will. While there could be workarounds (alerting for each county around the tower, for example), they would be progmatically heavy and, for reasons stated, perhaps not quite so useful.

What might be a better idea is the ability to enter the county you're in - which can be looked up in a database of SAME FIPS codes and used. Of course, if you move counties.... But perhaps referencing the tower can be of some use here as well to detect that you've left a county. After some time in which you haven't changed towers, you could be prompted for the county name that you're in... I could go on, but for travellers, it might make more sense just to warn for everything in the NWS office's coverage area. We're not talking that many, after all, and the more typical of them (lines of thunderstorms) will likely impact a large portion of a CWA (coverage and warning area) anyway.

- Joe

another suggestion: on the forecast tab please show the current day plus the four next days, instead of showing past days
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    another suggestion: on the forecast tab please show the current day plus the four next days, instead of showing past days
    My Forecast tab does show current and next 4 days.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    hmmm, i just ran the quick upate and it still starts with last saturday
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    1) - I might be hung over from the super-bowl, but the screenshots on your website rotated so fast I nearly puked trying to view them...<snip>....
    haha. yes, we need to fix that. it sort of reminds me of an old wang chung video (...not that there's a new wang chung video).

Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    2) - It would be the bomb if the phone knows where it is (LBS / cell tower info) and used that info to only send relavent S.A.M.E. weather alerts. Don't know if that is do-able, but would be very cool.
    agreed. we've discussed similar functionality, but haven't thought of using cell tower info. i'm wondering if information regarding the lat/lon position of each cell tower is public.

....<snip>....I still would like the ability to zoom in to a given WSR-88D site. If you have ever used weathertap.com, you'll know what I mean. National radar, when clicked, zooms to regional, which, when clicked, zooms to individual site which, when clicked, zooms in on that image.
    joetampa, in the near-term, we are going to provide an image zoom capability. that coupled with user definable map images should be a good initial capability. in the long-term, being able to zoom in and out from national images, down to local images seems feasible. as long as xWeather is supported, we will keep striving to make improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    <...snip....>
    hmmm, i just ran the quick upate and it still starts with last saturday
    rock, try selecting "update profile", instead of "quick update". quick update only updates current conditions and alerts, ...not forecasts.

FYI, "quick update" was developed primarily for auto-updating. when auto-updating becomes available, you will be able to schedule both full and quick updates. for example, perform a full update (current conditions, alerts, forecast, and images) twice a day AND quick updates (current conditions, alerts) every hour.
    Last edited by moxsi; 02/07/2006 at 04:36 PM.
    Is this basically Treo Alarm w/o the alarms ?
    I gave this little gem a shot. I set up a profile for my home town, San Diego, and it CRASHED my Treo. The second time it worked. I haven't had a 3rd party app CRASH since Oct 13th. I was shooting for a whole year without a CRASH or until the 700p becomes available, whichever comes first...I digress

Being an over the road trucker, I would have steal a zip code book from a post office or find some zip code software to look up zip codes to use xweather.

The downloading of forecasts, sat maps and alerts all the same time is a nice touch. Also as discussed earlier, auto refresh would be nice.

I think I will stick with Shimons' 4cast. I don't have to look up zip codes, and it never CRASHED my Treo.

Chuck
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    I gave this little gem a shot. I set up a profile for my home town, San Diego, and it CRASHED my Treo. The second time it worked. I haven't had a 3rd party app CRASH since Oct 13th. I was shooting for a whole year without a CRASH or until the 700p becomes available, whichever comes first...I digress.
    thanks for testing our BETA chuck. could you describe when the crash happened ?? was it during the downloading of the weather data ?? had the download just finished (all progress bars full) and it was trying to draw the first screen ?? did you have to download the profile data again after the reset, or was the data valid as soon as you ran the app the 2nd time ??

this information would be very helpful to us. please respond via email at support@moxsi.com .

for what it's worth, i'm sorry we broke your 4 month crash-free streak, ...but this IS a BETA. all of those other apps started at a BETA stage, and i'm sure they experienced resets as well.

for those following this thread, we have well over 100 testers and 2 reported resets so far. we sincerely thank ALL of you for help in testing our app and providing us with helpful feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    <...snip...> ...I don't have to look up zip codes, and it never CRASHED my Treo.
    we will support city & state lookup in the future. thanks for your feedback.
    Hey Scott

I downloaded xweather to my T650 from your site and used Handzipper to unzip and install the 2 prc files into ram. Then I reset my Treo.

I opened the app and setup the profile for San Diego, CA with the zip code and hit OK and that's when the phone crashed.

The CRASH was due to xweather fatal exception. The second time I set up the profile for San Diego, xweather downloaded all 5 items just fine. I tested again using Fort Worth, TX with the zip code from my bills of lading and it worked OK.

For what it's worth, I would like xweather much better if I could just put city and state without the zip codes for the various cities I go to or travel through.

Chuck
    I like the direction that this app is taking. I'd be ready to drop (serious) cash on it if/when the following features above what is available on the web become reality (and I understand that some are already in-process):

1. Some reasonable location support, which would ideally make that location my current profile - auto updating if configured, auto-alerting watches/warnings if configured.

2. Ability to zoom through static or animated radar images to lower or higher level radars. Radar images not in the current profile to be downloaded on-demand.

3. The ability to obtain weather info for an arbitrary city without creating a profile.

That app would be worth $20-$30 to me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast