Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Nice app! I especially like that it uses NOAA forecast data. I check weather (especially radar) frequently during the winter months, so this will get alot of use.

I agree that user customizable alerts would be a good addition, and am happy to hear that auto-update is in the works. A ZLauncher plug-in (similar to 4cast) would be the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by karenct; 02/03/2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Very professional looking app, but since I already have weather information bookmarked in my three browsers, I can't see ever paying for it.

Good luck with your product!
    very good point hoovs,
    NOAA does indeed issue a lot of 'insignificant' alerts. The most common one is
    the 'short term forecast' alert. I often see this alert when there is light rain in the
    area, but not 'threatening' weather like thunderstorms or tornados. We do have some
    ideas about how to alert the user in the event of 'serious' weather alerts, and we
    hope to be able to implement them in the future.
    Jason
    Moxsi LLC
    www.moxsi.com
    support@moxsi.com
    Best weather ap I've seen for the Treo. Liking this more each time I play with this. Switching profiles is easy.

One feature request.

It would be nice if the program would disconnect from the internet when it closes as leaving the connection on drains batteries!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas
    One feature request.

It would be nice if the program would disconnect from the internet when it closes as leaving the connection on drains batteries!
    Good point, Eyedeas. To add onto this thought, perhaps an option to disconnect (since some of us use other apps which require the network connection remain active).
    Very nice app. any way of having an option to get annimated radar and sat images?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    Very nice app. any way of having an option to get annimated radar and sat images?

I asked; they currently don't support animated images.

Hopefully that's only a "not yet"
    the only feature that would distinguish this app from treoalarm for @me@ would be realtime weather alerts.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsidev
    Yes TurboTiger,
    You will need to install both xWeather.prc and pnoJpegLib.prc.
    pnoJpegLib.prc is a library used to manipulate the jpeg map images
    used by xWeather.
    There is a version 1.0 of pnoJpegLib.prc (44196 bytes) included with Handmark Express. Will that work with xWeather?

Is this a standard file supplied by Palm (or who)?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Can xWeather be installed to the SD card?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    What info can you access with this app that you cannot already access with this url?

http://mobile.srh.noaa.gov/

Just want to know what additional functionality your app has over the NOAA's own mobile portal. Tx...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Nice link, G. Thanks.
    I don't see any fields on the developer's website for payment. Will this beta expire, and have I somehow missed the pricing for this app?
    Nice App. I do agree that the disconnect from the internet would help, but I see this as very useful. Metars and other pilot data would be a real plus. Good program
    Pilottreo
    Quote Originally Posted by karenct
    Good point, Eyedeas. To add onto this thought, perhaps an option to disconnect (since some of us use other apps which require the network connection remain active).
    I agree with karenct-the option to disconnect would be preferred- I don't want to disconnect.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Radar needs to be local display or at least state, not regional.
  17.    #37  
    Thanks for all of the great feedback. Jason and I are compiling a list of desired features as well as a FAQ. This is just the first BETA release, so many improvements will come (and many are already in the works).

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I would rather have up/down switch profiles, rather than bring up the menu, since thats done with the menu button anyways.
    thanks insertion, good suggestion. i've thought about this, ...and how about an item in a preference form (which doesn't exist yet, but is coming), to enable fast profile switching. when enabled, those that have a rocker switch will be able to switch profiles instantly with rocker up/down. the default behavior will be "as is".

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas
    eyedeas, this seems to be a very popular request. it will certainly end up near the top of our "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    rock, this also seems to be a very popular request. xWeather does not currently support animated images. there are a couple of options we could consider to do this. we will definitely look into this feature in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    There is a version 1.0 of pnoJpegLib.prc (44196 bytes) included with Handmark Express. Will that work with xWeather?
    xWeather requires the newer version of pnoJpegLib (we distribute the latest version 2.13). according to the author, the newer version of pnoJpegLib is fully backward compatible with applications built against version 1. i have not verified this myself. you should be able to delete the 1.0 version and install the 2.13 version and your handmark express should function fine. if you would like, i can experiment with this. if you've already tried this, please let me know the outcome. thanks aprasad!

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Can xWeather be installed to the SD card?
    well, yes, it can be. unfortunately, if you run it from the SD card, it will still install all of the databases/images to main memory. we currently have not added the SD card support to be able to store the images to the card yet. we will definitely consider adding this feature in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What info can you access with this app that you cannot already access with this url? http://mobile.srh.noaa.gov/
    gfunkmagic, the answer to your question is none. everything we display comes from the NOAA website. our "value added" is not in extracting data you can't find via blazer, but rather the convenience of setting up profiles of cities you're interested in and accessing that weather data quickly with very little interaction. in the near future, when auto-updating is finished, we will have the ability to warn users of inclement weather.

Quote Originally Posted by neill
    I don't see any fields on the developer's website for payment. Will this beta expire, and have I somehow missed the pricing for this app?
    the BETA will expire in 30 days. during these early development days, there should almost always be a new BETA out every couple of weeks. just check our website. fortunately, the current version seems very stable, so i suspect we will release this version (or a version similar to it) for sale in the near future. pricing hasn't been determined yet, but i suspect it will be in the $11.99 ~ $13.99 range. for those that will support us with early purchases, ...well, first of all, i sincerely thank you (we are a startup, need i say more). secondly, if you buy an early version of our software, you will be able to upgrade as new versions come out, up to the major version number. so, if you buy version 1.0.0, you will be able to upgrade to any version 1.x.x as they are released. auto-updating will be included in the 1.x.x release, so if you buy an early version, you can upgrade to a version that supports auto-updating (when it's stable) free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Radar needs to be local display or at least state, not regional.
    gapost, if you find a radar display on the internet, and it is a jpeg image under 62K, you can display that image in xWeather. just go into the profile manager, select your profile, select advanced settings, select "Use Custom Radar Image", and enter the FULL URL to the image. then simply just update that profile and your new image should be displaying on the Radar tab. Let me know if you have any problems.

thanks again everyone for all your feedback. please keep it coming!
    Last edited by moxsi; 02/04/2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Hmm do I have a setting wrong? The Map and Satellite Imagery look like a Weather Channel Product and not the NOAA Imagery. The NOAA one typically is much less refined/clearly demarked.

Way to tell the URLs?
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi
    Thanks for all the great feedback. Jason and I are compiling a list of desired features as well as a FAQ. This is just the first BETA release, so many improvements will come (and many are already in the works).

thanks insertion, good suggestion. i've thought about this, ...and how about an item in a preference form (which doesn't exist yet, but is coming), to enable fast profile switching. when enabled, those that have a rocker switch will be able to switch profiles instantly with rocker up/down. the default behavior will be "as is".
    I was thinking a user option would be good idea as well. If you can do it easily, that'd be great.

You guys did a good job for an initial release! I'm using it all the time.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Hmm do I have a setting wrong? The Map and Satellite Imagery look like a Weather Channel Product and not the NOAA Imagery.
    PeteEMT, yes, at the 11th hour we switched the imagery to yahoo weather images instead of the NOAA images. in the very near future will add the proper credits. i guess xWeather is now a NOAA & Yahoo Weather Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I was thinking a user option would be good idea as well. If you can do it easily, that'd be great.
    not a problem insertion. in fact, i implemented it tonight. it works very well and is user configurable via a preference form. i also implemented a "disconnect after refresh" tonight, ..also user configurable via the preferences form.

i'll post a new BETA build in the next couple of days, ...so check our website often. thanks!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast