1.    #1  
    I'm ripping some cd's (First time ever) they are voice only training cd's - boring I know, but its for work -- I'm using CDex -

My question is - there is an option for MPEG 1, 2 or 2.5 -- there is also an option for bitrate of 64 or 128 and I have a 1gb card in my Treo 650 so space could be a premium... Will there be a difference in quality for just "voice", no music, in the 64 and 128??

Also which option on the MPEG option is best for voice only audio -- ?

Thanks...
    You lose base and some Hi's at 64, since vocals are 2000hz to 4000hz it makes almost no difference. The sound will not be as "rich" but even 48bit would be OK for voice. Most voicemail systems are half that.

Derek
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by computerfixitguy
    You lose base and some Hi's at 64, since vocals are 2000hz to 4000hz it makes almost no difference. The sound will not be as "rich" but even 48bit would be OK for voice. Most voicemail systems are half that.

Derek
    Thanks Derek -- Here's what the help file in Cdex says about MPEG setting -

--------------
    The difference between MPEG-I and MPEG-II are the sample frequencies of the input file. MPEG-I can handle input streams (WAV files) with a sample frequency of 48000, 44100 and 32000 Hz. MPEG-II on the other hand will support stream for 24000, 22050 160000 Hz. Basically, use MPEG-II when you want to encode with low bit rates (e.g. for voice files, or if you need small MP3 files with reduced quality). As you can see, the lowest bit-rate for MPEG-II is 8 Kbits/sec while for MPEG-I the lowest bit rate is 32 Kbits/s.
    ---------------
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If it's just voive you could also encode in mono 64k, it will cut the file size down considerably.