1.    #1  
    I bought what I thought was a factory unlocked GSM Treo 650 on ebay form what seemed to be a reliable seller (4321media) but it turned out to be a hacked Cingular 650, according to Palm. Now I paid $488 shipped and he said he will refund me if I return it. He told me that the phone may have the Cingular logo on it but that it never went to Cingular so they never loaded their software on it and did not get to lock it. Pal said that is BS and that they load the Cingular software and they lock it for Cingular. So here is my qestion: Should I keep it even though I will never be covered under any warranty or do I send it back at a loss of $38 and get the unlocked one elsewhere? The only problem I have is that when I put it to my ear, I can hear the high pitched sound the screen apparently makes. It also developed a line right down the screen when I loaded the 1.20 update but that seems to be fixed by removing the battery and putting it back in. Also, it says I have 1 voicemail when I no longer have any??? TIA for the help.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    for the buyers story to be true, they would have to be buying the phones directly from th manufacturer, and I would bet there are sever penalties for the manufacturer, should they sell a Cingular phone to someone else - that would be piracy.

ANY seller with that kind of story cannot be trusted and you should immediately return the phone.

Did you pay with a credit card ? If so, you are in luck. If not, I would hold the phone until they agree to refund ALL you money, AS WELL AS pay for return shipping. They can get into a lot of trouble with ebay and the Attorney General (think mail fraud) for something like this. If you politely explain your intention to report them to both, and you agreement to drop the issue should they comply.

If you used a cc:
    1. notify the credit card company that it is a fraudulent transaction and have the transaction disputed (the entire amount including shipping). Also, tell them you are happy to return the item when you get a call tag (return shipping tag) paid for by the seller.
    2. notify the seller you have disputed the cc transaction, and tell them they have to pay for return shipping (as per the cc company)

cc companies can be a big help in this type of matter.

If you did not use a cc:
    notify the seller that you consider this a fraudulent transaction, based on the conversation with Cingular, and you are willin gto drop the issue once you get ALL your money back (including shipping) and a return tag.

Either way, report this to ebay once you have your cash back in hand. These folks give ebay a bad name.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    the voicemail icon thing is a Cingular issue.

Call and leave your self a voicemail. Then check voicemail, but listen to all the prompts and go through all the menus until you get the "goodbye" message - ie, don't just listen, delete and hang up. The icon should then disappear.
    If you sign up to palms developers club n(pluggedin), you get $100 off a new treo. So you can buy a brand new 650 for $499 and shipping is free... and no taxes depending on where you live.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    If you are referring to the number 1 on your screen, it is a shortcut and not the number of voicemails.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'd send it back, and pay the $38 stupid tax. It's already not as described (although close) in the sale and it's having trouble, what else do you want to go wrong???

You're going to have a heck of a time getting any CC company to call it fraud or misrepresentation. It is a phone, it does work, it is the model you wanted, etc. You might lose all of your money if you try to claim fraud.

BTW: It's not Piracy to sell something that's locked. You can order locked phones at distribution, and if you are not authorized to sell that unit, all warranty and support is void, but they don't come looking for you. He didn't break a law by selling a locked phone, he broke a COMPANY POLICY, huge difference.
  7.    #7  
    Disputed it with the CC company and PayPal (per my CC company) and I will be ordering one directly from Palm. The CC was not as much help as I thought they would be. The "No Hassle" company my ***! They said I had to pay for the return of the phone and they said that I had to dispute with PayPal. No more eBay or PayPal for me. This is not the first time I have been burned on eBay but it will be the last. BTW, for anyone interested in who the seller is, he uses ID's 4321media and choicedeals, but of course now eBay makes it easy to change your ID so that is only as good as long as he keeps those names.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    You're going to have a heck of a time getting any CC company to call it fraud or misrepresentation. It is a phone, it does work, it is the model you wanted, etc. You might lose all of your money if you try to claim fraud.
    If the seller's ad stated "factory unlocked phone" and and it is not, and he will not accept a return, this is fraud. There are no factory unlocked Cingular phones and Cingular told you this. If a seller advertises a "Brand New Factory Unlocked, Unbranded GSM phone" and ships a used cingular hacked phone instead - there is no question this is fraud. Just because it is a T650 tat can make a call does not absolve the seller from any other statements they make in the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    BTW: It's not Piracy to sell something that's locked. You can order locked phones at distribution, and if you are not authorized to sell that unit, all warranty and support is void, but they don't come looking for you. He didn't break a law by selling a locked phone, he broke a COMPANY POLICY, huge difference.
    It is piracy if you are buying Cingular branded phones through unauthorized channels (direct from the manufacturer) and hacking them. That was my point - If he is a Cingular dealer, he won't sell them unlocked.
  9.    #9  
    Got on the phone with the CC company again and they will help me. They did not like the "fraud" term either as they associate this as an unauthorized charge, which it wasnt. I am going to pay the retrun shipping and they state I will get the full price I paid, inclduing what I paid to have it shipped to me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    If you sign up to palms developers club n(pluggedin), you get $100 off a new treo. So you can buy a brand new 650 for $499 and shipping is free... and no taxes depending on where you live.
    Thanks, I did just that.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    glad to hear you made out ok. Make sure you insure the return shipment and get a signature. That way, if th eseller claims you broke it, you are covered. Worth the extra couple bucks IMO...
  12.    #12  
    Got my Pal 650 today, thanks nonobeez. Now I just need to figure out how to use my own domains email on this thing while I am out and about.