1.    #1  
    There is a very nice review of this printer accessible from the Treo central homepage.

I can read:

Q: What should I know about using a Bluetooth wireless printer?
    A: The Canon i80 printer works with your Treo smartphone out of the box; no extra software is needed. The Canon i80 can print the following items from
    your smartphone:
    a.. Photos
    b.. Schedule
    c.. Business cards
    d.. Tasks
    e.. Memos
    OK... that's nice, but what if I want to print a doc from DocToGo such as a word document or an Excel spreadsheet ?

Regards,

stipus
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    There is a very nice review of this printer accessible from the Treo central homepage.

I can read:

OK... that's nice, but what if I want to print a doc from DocToGo such as a word document or an Excel spreadsheet ?

Regards,

stipus
    Hi. I wrote the iP90 review, but I don't have Docs To Go on my Treo 650, however if a program does not have a native (built-in) "send" function like the ones you listed, then you probably need to get PrintBoy. If it has export to memo pad and the export is formatted properly then you could print it from there directly over Bluetooth.

Printboy::

http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/product.asp?id=365

Take a look at it. I believe this will get you where you want to go. You could always try it with another Bluetooth enabled printer, if you have access to one, or use some demo unit at a store somewhere, if they have one turned on that you can demo. If that does the job, then it should do the job with the iP90.

You ask a good question. I don't have a definitive answer for you. If Docs To Go doesn't have a "send (over Bluetooth)" feature like those ROM apps do, then I think Printboy is your solution.

If I can find the time, I'll get it myself and see if it'll let me do things like print out Web pages from Blazer, or anything else that doesn't have a "send" function built-in. I've never used Printboy but i assume it has those capabilities. It's hilarious how many Palm programs have no print menu item or button. I'm looking at Word on the 700w and there's nothing in it to tell it to print. Very strange.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 02/04/2006 at 03:18 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  3.    #3  
    I agree it's a bit amazing to see that printer management is not included at all in Palm devices... I could understand this as this has never been included, but for a WM5 device as the Treo 700W... ? All Windows app have always been able to print !

My father has an old Psion 5MX, and he can print graphics, word documents and excel spreadsheets on any printer. As his device is ageing, he wants to get a new one but he wants a device that can print spreadsheets and word documents (formatted as he can see on screen).

I just checked DocToGo and SheetToGo and I could't find any "print" menu item. There is a "send" menu item but I doubt the printer will be able to understand the format. I think these new printers can understand when a text document or a graphic file is sent, but a word document ???

It would be nice if someone found a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance,

stipus
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
  5.    #5  
    Thank you !
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I thought yawl might like to know about a deal Staples has going. I'm told it will last until September, 2006. For every used inkjet cart or tank you bring in, they'll give you $3.00 store credit. The credit does not have to be used to purchase new ink tanks or carts. And they won't give you $3.00 cash for each one, just store credit. Any brand qualifies for this credit. I don't know if there's a limit on how many you can bring in, and I don't know if this deal is nationwide in ALL their stores or not, so you might want to check their site to get the gory details.

This doesn't just apply to the iP90's tanks, but to ANY inkjet tanks or carts you were planning to throw out. Don't throw them out. Take them to Staples and get $3.00 store credit for each one you bring in. I threw out a pile of old inkjet ink tanks a few weeks ago, when I was cleaning up some area around my desk, and then walked into one of their stores last week and saw these huge signs hyping this deal hanging all over the place. D'oh! So now i'm saving every inkjet tank i use up.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    My boss has the Treo 700w and recently purchased the Canon ip90. I'm trying to get it to print using either IR or Bluetooth. Has anyone found a way to get this to work yet? When I send a document to the printer it just starts printing out a lot of unrecognized text as if the driver is bad. Is there a utility from Canon that I need to set this up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Hi. I wrote the iP90 review, but I don't have Docs To Go on my Treo 650, however if a program does not have a native (built-in) "send" function like the ones you listed, then you probably need to get PrintBoy. If it has export to memo pad and the export is formatted properly then you could print it from there directly over Bluetooth.

Printboy::

http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/product.asp?id=365

Take a look at it. I believe this will get you where you want to go. You could always try it with another Bluetooth enabled printer, if you have access to one, or use some demo unit at a store somewhere, if they have one turned on that you can demo. If that does the job, then it should do the job with the iP90.

You ask a good question. I don't have a definitive answer for you. If Docs To Go doesn't have a "send (over Bluetooth)" feature like those ROM apps do, then I think Printboy is your solution.

If I can find the time, I'll get it myself and see if it'll let me do things like print out Web pages from Blazer, or anything else that doesn't have a "send" function built-in. I've never used Printboy but i assume it has those capabilities. It's hilarious how many Palm programs have no print menu item or button. I'm looking at Word on the 700w and there's nothing in it to tell it to print. Very strange.

Harv

I just got the Canon IP90/Bluetooth/Battery setup and tried Print-Boy. Speadsheets and powerpoint printed ok, but word files have a bug. I am talking to tech support about this and will advise

KeithC
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithc
    I just got the Canon IP90/Bluetooth/Battery setup and tried Print-Boy. Speadsheets and powerpoint printed ok, but word files have a bug. I am talking to tech support about this and will advise

KeithC
    You know, this whole printing situation is kinda nuts. If you bought a computer that came with the usual Micro$loth bundle of Office or Word or Works or whatever, the printer you buy comes with a FREE driver, you install it, and blammo,you can print anything.

Yes please let me know. I'm going to try to add PrintBoy to both my 650 and 700p next week. I still think it should have been in ROM in the 700p, since Docs to Go is in ROM. And $40.00 is about double what most Palm programs cost and this is basically a glorified printer driver. Do you have it on a 650 or a 700p? Which one is giving you trouble with .doc files?

How do you like the iP90 otherwise? Have you messed around with its driver and software bundle like Easy PhotoPrint, and tried printing any photos on Canon's photo paper? The results I get out of the thing are unbelievable. Whether regular draft mode on plain paper or high quality photos on 4x6" Canon photo paper. But this is from my laptop, or I connect my camera directly to it and use its PictBridge feature.

Harv
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    I'm going to try to add PrintBoy to both my 650 and 700p next week. I still think it should have been in ROM in the 700p, since Docs to Go is in ROM. And $40.00 is about double what most Palm programs cost and this is basically a glorified printer driver. Do you have it on a 650 or a 700p? Which one is giving you trouble with .doc files?
    Were you able to get it running? I have the same setup (650, ip90) and still can not print true Docs2Go files (the text is either insanely small, or the one built-in font that the printer has--Courier, 12). I can not--for example--print the simplest of docs...two words, in Times 24. That's all I need to do, but have not found a solution. I have tried this printer with every print software for the Palm and PocketPC and am running out of things to try.

I won't blame your article (you didn't say in your article that it could print Docs2Go files...I assumed that it would since PrintBoy supports them), but you did inspire me to purchase the printer which is right now (with all the options) is a $500 paperweight.