Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    List of major changes:

Strong encryption support (blowfish algorithm)
    Differential backups allow for lightning fast backups throughout your day
    User-defined list of files to skip during backups
    Support for 320x320 and 320x480 displays
    Easy to use Setup wizard to guide you step by step when setting up a schedule
    Numerous new scheduling options
    Ability to create a automatically create a backup after exiting any number of user-defined applications
    Complete integrated help system that explains each option in detail
    Optional Abort dialog prior to backups
    1 touch automatic restores. Should your device need a complete restore simply tap the BackupMan icon and it will walk you through restoring your device.

See their site here

Looks like it's a chargeable upgrade from V1.54 (unless you purchased within last 60 days).

Going to try new version now...
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Well, I went back to verion 1.54. Probably something I was doing wrong but I had frequent resets. When you select encrypt files, it states something along the lines of "You must force an automated backup now, to avoid corrupted backups".

All in all the only good feature this update has addressed is the encrypted backup option. It should have been a free update....

I'm not too bothered encrypting my files; if my Treo falls into enemy hands I can rely on good ol Butler to wipe my SD card.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Does this new version still eat up the NVFS cache?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Well, I went back to verion 1.54. Probably something I was doing wrong but I had frequent resets. When you select encrypt files, it states something along the lines of "You must force an automated backup now, to avoid corrupted backups".

All in all the only good feature this update has addressed is the encrypted backup option. It should have been a free update....

I'm not too bothered encrypting my files; if my Treo falls into enemy hands I can rely on good ol Butler to wipe my SD card.
    You can use Butler to wipe your SD card?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Hmm... decisions, decisions. I'm currently a BackupMan user but don't qualify for a free upgrade, so this will be $14.95 for me. BackupMan 2.0 seems to include a lot of the fuctionality of BackupBuddyVFS Professional ($19.95). I was a BackupBuddy user until I bought my 650 which, at the time, didn't play well with BackupMan. So now I'm wondering if BackupBuddyVFS is worth the $5 premium?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Hmm... decisions, decisions. I'm currently a BackupMan user but don't qualify for a free upgrade, so this will be $14.95 for me. BackupMan 2.0 seems to include a lot of the fuctionality of BackupBuddyVFS Professional ($19.95). I was a BackupBuddy user until I bought my 650 which, at the time, didn't play well with BackupMan. So now I'm wondering if BackupBuddyVFS is worth the $5 premium?
    I have both BackupBuddy and BackupMan. Generally, I use BackupBuddy for my restores. With the latest version of BackupBuddy, I have had no problems at all with backups and restores. On occasion, I still have restore problems with BackupMan.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    You can use Butler to wipe your SD card?
    Since v 3.40.

The new version adds a Remote Lock function that allows the user to send an SMS to a lost/stolen Treo and remotely lock the device so it cannot be used.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/724-1.htm
    I use Backupman 1.54 but don't think I would pay for this upgrade. I've switched over to Resco Explorer which works quite well. Including restoring Java files.
    I *was* a big BackupMan fun but the more than frequent resets after backup scared me away to BBVFS. I liked the multiple set feature of BackupMan though and it's tempting to pay the upgrade fee. I'll probably won't do it, since BB:VFS Pro is performing so good lately and if I want multiple sets I could always use the checkpoint feature (albeit not automated as with BackupMan)

//edit: Am I missing an upgrade fee for previous users? Do we need to shell out the full price again or am I blind? I haven't been able to use this software since I got my Treo 650. Have I complained to the author about his incompetence in coding a stable app (like BB:VFS)? No! But not offering any upgrade fee is a sign of *bad* customer service to me
    Last edited by djr; 02/02/2006 at 06:21 PM.
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    Quote Originally Posted by djr
    Am I missing an upgrade fee for previous users? Do we need to shell out the full price again or am I blind? I haven't been able to use this software since I got my Treo 650. Have I complained to the author about his incompetence in coding a stable app (like BB:VFS)? No! But not offering any upgrade fee is a sign of *bad* customer service to me
    I haven't found an upgrade fee listed, hence my question above about BackupBuddy. I could stay with BackupMan 1.5x but if I'm considering an upgrade to BackupMan 2.0 at full price, I might as well look at BackupBuddy as well. I agree that an incentive for longtime users should be offered.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I use Backupman 1.54 but don't think I would pay for this upgrade. I've switched over to Resco Explorer which works quite well. Including restoring Java files.
    I agree on the issue with Java files, I have tried just about all the automated backup apps the only one that will restore the huge Java file is Botzam Backup.
    Wow, Resco Explorer seems to offer a lot for only $14.95! I'm going to demo it and see how well it works. The backup seems to have all the functionality of BackupMan and BackupBuddy.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    Since v 3.40.

The new version adds a Remote Lock function that allows the user to send an SMS to a lost/stolen Treo and remotely lock the device so it cannot be used.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/724-1.htm
    Great peace of mind knowing that you can completely wipe your Treo and SD card remotely!

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Wow, Resco Explorer seems to offer a lot for only $14.95! I'm going to demo it and see how well it works. The backup seems to have all the functionality of BackupMan and BackupBuddy.
    I've had Resco Explorer for over a month now and I didn't realise you could use it to backup your RAM

Just done it now; it encrypts the backup too!

What I do like about Backupman was the ability to quickly choose which file to restore. Resco Explorer automatically selects all files and you have to unselect all if you only want to restore 1 or 2 files. Am I missing a setting here?