1.    #1  
    Hello all. I've been lurking for a couple years now while I waited to purchase a Treo (I've had an m505). I think the time has come (the 650 is pretty cheap, rumors of a new version seem to be rather up in the air, and I need a cell phone), but I just found out my firm's user support will not support it. They only support Blackberry.

Having said that, I work in a branch office away from user support and am pretty sure I could set it up to sync with Outlook myself. My main question would be whether I would have the ability to receive and send emails through my firm's server. Somehow I doubt it, but do any of you know? I do not even need any push-type email just one where I could check and send email when I wanted to. Sorry to be so vague, but I don't know what type of servers my firm uses.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am sure this can be done. Take a look at Chatteremail at www.chatteremail.com this should do what you want. Find out some of the basics of your email server, is it IMAP, what is the ingoing and outgoing server, you may need to relay of your carrier. There are tons of posts on this forum on how to setup email for any phone and any server.

Good Luck
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip. This is when I wish I was much more tech savvy than I am.
  4.    #4  
    Any other advice out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by jphj44
    Any other advice out there?
    I think you will get more responses if you can "find outsome of the basics of your email server, is it IMAP, what is the ingoing and outgoing server" as posted above.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  6.    #6  
    Other than asking my IT department for those details, is there a way that I could find this out by myself? I'm afraid my asking will raise suspicions. I'm using Explorer to poke around the network drives but I'm not savvy enough to figure out which drive is the email server--of course they're not clearly labeled. Sorry for my technical ignorance.
  7.    #7  
    So, our server is Microsoft Exchange 2003 with IMAP. Our carrier is Cingular. Any thoughts or hints? I just got a Blackberry 7280/7290 from the firm and now I know why I want a Treo.
    You can use Chatter via IMAP or Xpress Mail by installing a re-director on your work PC. I would recommend IMAP as the Xpress Mail redirector may open ports in your coprorate firewall that IT administrators won't like.

If you have access to Outlook Web Access, you could stay simple and use Versamail with Activesync.

And then there is the BlackBerry client for the Treo, when released. Your IT amy let you access that if they won't have to pay for additional # of client (you).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  9.    #9  
    Thank you very much, aprasad. Where would would I find more information on a re-director?

We do have Outlook Web Access, so I could try that as well.

What I'm scared of now is buying a 650 only to have the rumored 700p come out two weeks later.
    chatteremail has been developing their Outlook Web Access interface. I've been trying it and it appears to work OK (although the version I have isn't completely stable yet). I'm actually about to swing by their website to see if there any updates. Currently I use a Treo 600 (though I'm about to buy a 650... bound to cost less than the latest expected treo), and I used SnapperMail up until a couple of weeks ago. I am testing chatteremail for IMAP access for my personal email accounts, and OWA for work. I think I will definitely purchase it soon.

edit - Forgot to mention that you only need to know how to access Outlook Web Access in order to configure chatteremail, so if your IT department has given you those instructions, you'll be able to get chatteremail going by using the instructions provided with chatteremail. Last I knew it's still at a beta stage (haven't gone to their website in over a week), but it looks very promising.
    Last edited by snowbound; 04/04/2006 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot detail
    Who's flying this thing?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound
    edit - Forgot to mention that you only need to know how to access Outlook Web Access in order to configure chatteremail, so if your IT department has given you those instructions, you'll be able to get chatteremail going by using the instructions provided with chatteremail.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you!