1.    #1  
    Can I use voice dialing feature on my 650? I tried last night with my wife's Moto HS850 headset but it never worked. Maybe I was not doing it right but I figured that all I needed to do was hold down the call button.

About to get a bluetooth headset for my 650 but really want to make sure I get one that will do voice dialing if that is possible.
    The Treo doesn't support voice dialing via bluetooth.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    The Treo doesn't support voice dialing via bluetooth.
    Yes, but the bigger question is why not?

rob
  4.    #4  
    Thanks! I knew this had been a problem when they first came out but had figured I had waited long enough that it would have been fixed by now. I can do voice dial via the wired headset. This sucks, I almost fell like I got used. Had been an 180 user for a long time (only had one hinge break on me over several years) and finally got a 650 since they are cheap now with the 700 out.

I think that Rob has it right "why not".

Does the 700 support dialing via bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Yes, but the bigger question is why not?

rob
    Palm has trouble keeping the emoticons working with messaging and you expect them to be able to handle voice, bluetooth and dialling all at once.
  6.    #6  
    Why not? The phones cost a ton of money new and seems like they could employ at least one person that knows what they are doing? The Design Eng for the Treo 180/270/300 should have been shot. How many of us had to replace the phone because the hinge broke. Guess I was lucky with only 1 replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by brax4
    Can I use voice dialing feature on my 650? I tried last night with my wife's Moto HS850 headset but it never worked. Maybe I was not doing it right but I figured that all I needed to do was hold down the call button.

About to get a bluetooth headset for my 650 but really want to make sure I get one that will do voice dialing if that is possible.
    The simple answer is NO...however, if you are on Sprint you can sign-up for
    their voice-dialing for $5.00 a month. It works flawlessly for me with my BT headset. Once Palm upgrades to BT 1.2 or 2.0, or whatever the standard will be then, no doubt you will be able to use a BT headset to voice-dial.

I am certain that the 700p, 750 or 800 version of the Treo will most likely allow for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by brax4
    Does the 700 support dialing via bluetooth?
    I don't think so from what I've heard/read.

If a WM05 treo can't can we really expect Palm to get the 700p to? Bluetooth has been around for a few years now, voice dialing was possible on my 'old' sony t610 & I think my nolia 6310i, but on a new treo? no chance. When I bought my treo in some ways I thought I was going back in time!
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave
    The simple answer is NO...however, if you are on Sprint you can sign-up for
    their voice-dialing for $5.00 a month. It works flawlessly for me with my BT headset. Once Palm upgrades to BT 1.2 or 2.0, or whatever the standard will be then, no doubt you will be able to use a BT headset to voice-dial.

I am certain that the 700p, 750 or 800 version of the Treo will most likely allow for this.
    I thought it had more to do with palm screwing up the BT stuff than the version of BT. My sony ericsson phone with BT 1.1 could voicedial over BT years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyber
    I thought it had more to do with palm screwing up the BT stuff than the version of BT. My sony ericsson phone with BT 1.1 could voicedial over BT years ago.
    I agree
    Are you referring to the ability to use the voice dialing feature inherent in your BT headset, or to using your BT headset to communicate with voicedialing software (VoiceDialIT or the other one) on your Treo?

Either way, it isn't supported. The former is because Palm didn't program that type of profile in their BT protocol and I doubt they ever will on the 650 anyway. The latter is because

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Palm has never released the info the developers need to access the BT interface in such a way they can intercept the button press on the BT headset. Blame Palm for that if you will! Nothing else you can do.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks everyone for their quick response. Sorry if this topic has been hashed out before, but I waited until I could get a good deal on the 650 before upgrading and NOT having to get one of off Ebay. I still like the 650 for all it's other features but seems like a waste that you can't just say "Call Home" over the BT headset. Seems like a step back in time in using the wired headset that does do this. Oh well guess I can't have everything for just over $100.
    Best thing you can do is get VoiceDialIt, program it to fire up with the side select button (via the speakerphone), and speak the name via the speakerphone. It's not much more inconvenient than being able to speak into the BT headset. Just that car noise might make it a bit harder to understand your command at a distance. Albeit, VoiceDialIt does seem to cause my 650 to crash more often when it is installed.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I use my BT Sony HBH 662 with Voice Launcher and Then Use Sprint Voice command. All I do is press the power button on my BT ear piece and it then dials Sprint Voice Command. I can call any one in my data base or even speak the number digits. This works great. The only glitch is you can not have "keypad lock on" if you do it will not work.