1.    #1  
    Since I'm no pro with the soldering iron, I thought I'd have someone else fix my broken headphone jack on the 650. Warranty is expired so I guess I need to find someone who'll do it for me, preferrably on the spot. Any ideas where to look in New York City?

Thanks,

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by maluszynski
    Since I'm no pro with the soldering iron, I thought I'd have someone else fix my broken headphone jack on the 650. Warranty is expired so I guess I need to find someone who'll do it for me, preferrably on the spot. Any ideas where to look in New York City?

Thanks,

Chris
    You can get a software Bypass solution to this problem with VolumeCare.

http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

Use the feature called "Bypass Boken Headset Jack" in the Advanced Configuration screen in Phone Mode.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    You can get a software Bypass solution to this problem with VolumeCare.

http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...p=getit&lid=28

Use the feature called "Bypass Boken Headset Jack" in the Advanced Configuration screen in Phone Mode.

Jeff
    Wha? How do you get sound out of a jack that is broken? I'm making an assumption that there's a physical defect (since he mentioned soldering) that prevents sound from coming out of the jack. How does VolumeCare get around that, or what "broken" scenarios does VC address?
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Wha? How do you get sound out of a jack that is broken? I'm making an assumption that there's a physical defect (since he mentioned soldering) that prevents sound from coming out of the jack. How does VolumeCare get around that, or what "broken" scenarios does VC address?
    When the headset jack fails, it prevents sounds from coming out the handset and speaker phone. This feature in VolumeCare will allow you to again use your phone but the headset jack will remain broken. Software can not cure a hardware problem but it does allow you to bypass the headset jack to restore the normal operation of your Treo.

Jeff
  5.    #5  
    Wow, that sounds nifty, HOWEVER, I still would like to listen to music on my Treo, which was one of the reasons I bought it... So thanks for the software tip, will check it out, but I still would like to find a repairshop (or maybe somone on in this forum that lives in NY and is handy with the soldering iron!). Chris
    Nobeez will do (I think) this but you'll have to ship it to him.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I would consider something like a TV repair shop. Anyone with a soldering iron and an iota of experience should be able to do this for about 2-3 minutes worth of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by maluszynski
    Wow, that sounds nifty, HOWEVER, I still would like to listen to music on my Treo, which was one of the reasons I bought it... So thanks for the software tip, will check it out, but I still would like to find a repairshop (or maybe somone on in this forum that lives in NY and is handy with the soldering iron!). Chris
    I do the repair for $60 total. I am on the west coast though. I usually ship back out the same day I get it via USPS priority mail... takes about 3-4 days max. I can do overnight I guess, but it costs more

Be careful who you give your phone to, you need a really fine soldering tip and a steady hand. I use a $600 soldering station with temp control and finger activation.

I have also received emails regarding "fixes" gone bad. (my friend said he could do it for free... ).

The repair is permanent though... it will not fail unless you break the jack off.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    nonobeez: Is it the jack thats faulty or is the torque on the jack causing the solder joints to fail?

Thanks for your professional opinion. =)
    Last edited by tcc3; 02/02/2006 at 04:31 AM.
    I have yet to see a bad solder joint. The problem is a combination of bad jack design and bad board design. A signal goes in and out the jack, via a 2 piece metal contact design. If the contacts separate from each other, the jack fails.

It's like a switch that is there that is not needed because it is always "on", but it is too delicate and eventually goes "off". Seems the jack is a common of-the-shelf design. Palm could have ignored the circuit in the jack, but they did not.

There are other jack problems in which the jack really breaks (cracks), that causes the same problem. It's almost as if Palm designed the jack to break and disable all audio....
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.