1.    #1  
    Well I decided that I need help from the group here.

I'm pretty good with figuring out most problems and have had a pretty trouble free experience (after fixing all the problems of course).

But this is stumping me.

It seems that almost everyday, my preferences are lost (the 'saved preferences). Luckly, I keep restoring it from backup, but today my backup did not contain a copy of it.

I'm using Resco Backup version 1.31.1. And it's set to automatically backup every other day at 12am.

Is it posssible that the backup program is what is killing the preference file?

I also just upgraded to Sprint version 1.13 Sprint. I have hardware version B.

I have not tested to stop backing up to see if that stops this behavior, but will try starting with this message.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks all!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

this used to happen to me on daily basis before I found syncbeforereset.prc search for it. there is also prefdoctor.prc by hobbyistsoftware.com I found the first to work best for me. I was unable to narrow down the rests to one app, although butler was the primary suspect.
    Treoing & Loving it
    This EXACT same thing was happening to me post-1.13 update. I finally solved it by hard resetting and re-installing everything except for TreoGuard and TreoHelper which I suspected as causing issues. So far - no resets, no loss of prefs.
    To the OP:
    Post a list of your applications and version #s. We may be able to suggest which ones to remove or lock into memory using Resco Locker.

Does typing ##377 identify the process running when the reset occurs?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Happens often to me and I use Backup Buddy. Restoring from BB fixes most things, but for some reason my Sound, Button, Date/Time and default app prefs are only partly restored and have to be fixed by hand. So does Butler and Uninstall manager. Getting old.

Will try syncbeforereset.prc
    i was plagued by this problem and the only solution i came up with was to use filez and delete the saved and usaved preferences. You have to enter reg numbers and preference again, but I haven't had it happen since. good luck
    I loaded syncbeforereset.prc, it shows up in Filez but not in Launcher. OS5 has no hack manager right? How's it work?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    This was happening to me after I installed Butler 3.41. Went back to 3.28 and it stopped. When it does, restoring just saved and unsaved prefs should restore everything you need.
    syncbeforereset is a hack you need yahm to run it, see quote below from the post discussing this hack
    SyncBeforeReset hack saves all unsaved data from DBCache to NVFS volume before reset.

What hack does? Hack patches SysReset syscall and saves all unclosed databases. It can be useful to preserve unsafe database like zlauncher or preference databases from crashing.

You can check what hack does with following steps:
    1. Open Memos and create new record (don't close record view!)
    2. Reset you device programmatically. I used ZLauncher Launch Anywhere to make reset.
    3. Check for new record. Oops, there are no new record.
    Repeat those steps with active hack and fee the difference.

Hack there: http://yahm.palmoid.com/SyncBeforeReset.prc
    Yahm there: http://yahm.palmoid.com
    Last edited by gt5l; 02/01/2006 at 06:50 AM.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13
    This was happening to me after I installed Butler 3.41. Went back to 3.28 and it stopped. When it does, restoring just saved and unsaved prefs should restore everything you need.
    I'm using Butler 3.41 and I never had this kind of problem with both 1.13 and 1.20.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    I schedule a reboot of my TREO every night at 3am, followed by a backup at 3:30am. Also using DBcache tool to help clear out the cache. I use all the programs people mentioned including BackupBuddy, and TreoGuard and I don't have the problem.

I recommend a reload. That means NOT restoring after a hard reset, but rather, reinstalling all your apps one at a time, most necessary first. There may be a corrupt file or preference that is causing this.

On the treo, you can use the phone to do a ##377 to see what caused the last reset. I am assuming you lose the preferences file when a reset occurs.

Jim C
    Quote Originally Posted by cioffij
    I schedule a reboot of my TREO every night at 3am, followed by a backup at 3:30am.
    Jim,
    wich sw do you use to schedule a reboot?

Thanks.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Restoring from back up is a waste of time because it will happen again. Restoring is a temporary fix.

Don't waste time reloading all apps, simply delete the saved and usaved preferences and start from scratch on entering reg info and preferences.
    Or simply replace the software that's causing the crash.. Look in the phone #*377 (or equivilent for your carrier) and see what's causing it to crash.

I haven't had a preference loss but 1 time in about three months, before that I got one about once a week. Resco locker fixed it for me.
    For me #*377 showed several apps causing resets. I believe the preference file was corrupt and therefore causing the crashes.