Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me which of the following apps will work from my SD card? I'm desperate to gain more internal memory:

vindigo
    Documents t.g.
    Power Run
    Splash ID
    Xiino
    Snapper

Also...does anyone know of a way to move over ROM apps like Versamail (which I don't use), RealPlayer, Web (Blazer), etc.

Any suggestions on ways to access more internall memory? I'm already using PowerRun, which is great, but I definitely need more.

Thanks.
    DataViz has a tool to move your DTG files to the SD card. This can save you up to 4mb of memory, but you need to use the tool, you cannot do it manually.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Move all pictures and videos to the SD card.

FileZ is a freeware file manager for the PalmOS. It allows you to see all your internal files and see which ones are the biggest. Be careful what you move though. www.nosleep.net then click on downloads.

Only way to remove ROM apps is to create a custom ROM that strips out the unwanted programs. Do a search on custom ROMs and visit www.shadowmite.com -- he is the resident hacker guru. Custom ROMs are for the more adventurous.

P.S. Your carrier's support people will probably say "go fish" once they find out you have a custom ROM installed -- just be so advised.
    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/30/2006 at 10:33 PM.
    Move Xiino and SplashID to the card as well
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by lorms
    Also...does anyone know of a way to move over ROM apps like Versamail (which I don't use), RealPlayer, Web (Blazer), etc.
    That would be pointless, and not worth the effort. Completely removing some of them (Versa or Real for instance) is one thing. But to remove them, only to try and put them on a card would be silly.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Call me sick, call me crazy, but I miss that damn monkey.
    Just tell em Large Marge sent ya
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7.    #7  
    I'm perfectly happy to remove Versamail and RealPlayer permanently from my ROM. I just don't know how.
    I'd be happy to get rid of them completely, too, if you find out how.
    I wish somewhere there was a list of applications that said whether or not they'd work on the SD card.
    Does everyone do like I do? - Install a new app to the SD card to see if it'll go there then if it doesn't work delete it and install it again to the internal? (For the many programs that don't tell you in the documentation whether or not it would work.)
    I'm perfectly happy to remove Versamail and RealPlayer permanently from my ROM. I just don't know how.
    Just bear in mind that removing ROM apps does not free up any user-accessable memory. It just makes your ROM smaller. If you don't use the apps, just hide the icons in a hidden category or get the program that will hide them.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by pqfnb2
    I'd be happy to get rid of them completely, too, if you find out how.
    I wish somewhere there was a list of applications that said whether or not they'd work on the SD card.
    Does everyone do like I do? - Install a new app to the SD card to see if it'll go there then if it doesn't work delete it and install it again to the internal? (For the many programs that don't tell you in the documentation whether or not it would work.)
    A general rule of thumb to follow is to see if the app installs a conduit on your PC for syncing. Those apps usually work best in RAM rather than the SD card. That said, there are some apps like Documents to Go that provide their own tool for moving them to the card and still sync properly.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Just bear in mind that removing ROM apps does not free up any user-accessable memory. It just makes your ROM smaller. If you don't use the apps, just hide the icons in a hidden category or get the program that will hide them.
    Zane
    I'm confused! Then what is the whole reason for a Custom ROM? Why would people do it, if it doesn't free up user space?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I'm confused! Then what is the whole reason for a Custom ROM? Why would people do it, if it doesn't free up user space?
    Perry,
    As I understand it, a user cannot directly install apps in ROM, and empty ROM does not become RAM. The only way a custom ROM saves RAM is to put third-party apps in the ROM, such as PTunes, Chatter, etc. Then they don't occupy RAM. The only problem I see with doing that is that the only way to upgrade those apps is to make a new custom ROM.
    Zane
    Thanks, Zane!

If Xiino is run from the card, can it be used as the default browser (by system or CHatteremail, etc) I tried thru Power run but it still wasn't seen. How about with Zlink?
    Can someone tell me which of the following apps will work from my SD card? I'm desperate to gain more internal memory:
    PowerRun is what you use to move apps from main memory to your SD card. You can't use it to move itself to the card.

For most programs, simply use PowerRun to move any app you are considering to the SD card, if it fails to work, simply move it back.

Some programs like Docs2Go use their own utilities or install process to move to the card, most of TomTom will wind up there for example and Docs2Go uses the Dataviz Tech Tool to move most of its bulk to the card.
    i recently started using zlauncher and really like it .....

i have found using it to transfer some apps to the card very easy .....

i used to use power run many years ago .... and found it as an "almost essential" app ... unfortunately that was many years ago and i can no longer find my registration coded ...

i would really appreciate it if some very experienced power users could comment on how effective zlauncher is (which i have just registered) ..... in performing the functions of power run ...

if zlauncher can pretty much do the same thing as power run then i won't need to buy power run a second toime .....

but if it's significantly better .... or more powerful, stable etc then i am haoppy to do so .....

advice is really greatly appreciated ...
    PowerRun does the simple job of moving apps back and forth to the card and alowing you to launch them from within the Palm interface. If you write to hackerDudeSan, I would imagine they would replace your lost code.

Zlauncher does this too and adds a new launcher interface, skins and a host of other features it will take you months to get a full undertsanding of. Personally, I prefer the Palm launcher so the extras offers by ZL were just unneeded "fluff" and "in the way" for me. Others here love ZL so it's simply a matter of individual taste.
    thanks jack .....

so if zlauncher does the same stuff as powerrun then i guess that there is no advantage in having both ...

i will continiue to use zlauancher ... but i will also take your suggestion and write him ... i originally bought it thru another software selling site about 4 years ago ...(i can't remember which one)..... and just presumed that they would have my details ... i did not realize that he (hackerdudesan ) would have my code as well ........ that would be good if thats the case .......

again ... thanks for the info

regards
    aussietreo
    I am not sure who has what but it's certainly worth a try. Most outfits would be hard pressed not to provide same if you had PoP (proof of purchase)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    i recently started using zlauncher and really like it .....

i have found using it to transfer some apps to the card very easy .....

Has anyone besides me noticed that several apps which have been moved to the card write themselves to RAM in order to be accessible when you open them from the card, thereby dropping internal memory down after they're opened from the card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast