I had a 600 with AT&T Wireless. Replaced several under warenty (screen issues, buzzing noise). But Cingular just twisted my arm into signing by giving me a new free 650. But so far I hate it!!!

Here are my issues:

* It crashes twice a day for all different reasons. I'll hit the green button to turn on the back light, and poof it reboots. Or last night I was listening to music with realplayer and it locked up with the backlight on and nothing on the screen.

* Reception is just as bad as the 600/AT&T or worse.

* The well known interference is even worse than my 600 was. Even with my computer speakers turned down I can't get my phone anywhere near my computer or it sounds like an alien attack with bleeps and bloops.

* Battery life is considerably lower than my 600. Need to charge every day.

* Max volume is lower on the 650, which is a big problem.

Am I cursed. I thought the 650 was supposed to be a huge improvement. So far, I want to throw it in a lake!

I have firmware 1.51 and Cingular and I don't do anything fancy with it. Just calls, web, real player.

Puff
    exhaust.tv
    Hi Puff!

Did you upgrade to your 650 by directly syncing to your 600 userid? If so, we need to do a clean install:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install
    (start with the hard reset of the 650, since you already have done your last 600 hotsync and have installed the 650 desktop)

If this is not it -- check the GSM forum for issues and fixes related to the Cingular Treo.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/31/2006 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puff
    * It crashes twice a day for all different reasons. I'll hit the green button to turn on the back light, and poof it reboots. Or last night I was listening to music with realplayer and it locked up with the backlight on and nothing on the screen.
    Depends what you have running, what apps you have loaded, etc. After doing a custom ROM mine never crashes on its own any more.

* Reception is just as bad as the 600/AT&T or worse.
    Eh, depends where you are I guess. In the DC area I have great reception with Cingular.

* The well known interference is even worse than my 600 was. Even with my computer speakers turned down I can't get my phone anywhere near my computer or it sounds like an alien attack with bleeps and bloops.
    This will happen with any GSM phone, but is really only an issue if your reception is poor. I dont have any issue with this keeping it next to my computer at work or having it mounted on my dash next to my car stereo, but again my reception is generally 3-4 bars.

* Battery life is considerably lower than my 600. Need to charge every day.
    I recharge mine every night and it charges when im in the car, but ive gone a couple days without a charging. I never had a 600 so I cant compare, but again reception strength can be a factor here. If reception is low the Treo willcontinually search for a better signal which will drain the power. There are plentyof power saving tips outlined on this site if you do a search.

* Max volume is lower on the 650, which is a big problem.
    This is an issue that there are two solutions for. 1) Buy VolumeCare, its a great app. 2) Update to the latest firmware. While I havent done this yet, others have reported that it resolved their volume issues.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    i had a 600 unlocked and i was using on Cingular. no problems. i now have a Cingular 650. still no problems or major complaints. i just upgrade the FW when available and dont put any garbage programs on it that i dont need, or arent trusted.

and yes it makes my TV and PC speakers go nuts, i just like to think of it as my Treo is so powerful it makes other electronics upset and they complain.

and as far as Cingular service, had it for over 5 yrs now, and never had a service complaint between here in middle TN and Eastern PA.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Me again. I'm helpless. I've read the suggestions and sticky thread...

1.51 is the latest firmware and 1.17-cng is recent, right, so that's not my problem. Now, previously I did try sync with my 600 (I never listen!) but then I took the battery out and installed frm the cd with a new username as instructed. *Q: Am I still suffering from side effects of the 600 sync?

*Q: Is RealPlayer (which is bundled) particularly buggy?

*Q: Also, I paid for ptunes, and a korean dictonary on my 600. Am I just supposed to pay AGAIN since I can't sync or use the same username?

Help!

Puff
    Ptunes has options for upgrading from older versions to the current version. You can use the same sync name but you have to delete the 600 stuff on your computer and start fresh with a new install for the 650.

Most instability is caused by incompatible software. I don't install a thing before checking out the Treo 650 Compatibility List at PalmFocus.

When I was getting resets on my 650 (GSM unlocked, T-Mobile service) I solved it by putting a folded piece of paper behind the SIM card. Just a double-thickness piece cut to the same size as the SIM card and placed on the SIM tray before sticking the SIM card in. YMMV, but it certainly worked for me. My Treo is back in my good graces.
    Just taking your battery out won't result in a hard reset. Doing a hard reset will restore the phone back to a completely bare state. I forget the procedure, but it involves pushing in on the reset button while holding down on one of the front buttons. Basically, you don't want HotSync to install any of the low-level 600 apps which may cause problems on the 650. You'd want to install the apps you want one at a time.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Never do the paper in tray. I did it and it fixed the problem, but I tried all methods in the last three month and can't get the tray out. I was planning switch to new carrier, now hane to give it up.

Your treo 650 shoud ne equipped witht the new tray.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Do a hard reset. Rename your backup folder in the Palmone directory. Install your CD. Sync with your old username. Load your old programs individually.