Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hey guys im playing around with the size of my pocket dvd studio files . It seems if you make the movie files with lots of fighting under 300 mb it gets very bad quality when played. I was wondering what you guys set your file sizes to.
    I usually go with 200 MB in FairUseWizard. Don't know about pocket dvd studio
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I ues Pocket DVD Studio... usually around 200 megs for any movie, even fast action. Now if you are mentioning this because you can tell the difference between watching it on your Treo, VS. on your DVD player, then you are just too picky... We all know the quality isn't exactly the same, but I've never felt that any movies were unwatchable.
    I use Pocket DVD Studio all the time to burn/copy movies to view on my Treo 650. There are so many different configurations you can set for burning a movie using Pocket DVD Studio...this is both good and bad. For example, I have burned the original StarWars movie at least 20 different times using various settings to see what quality level is best at a given file size. In the end, I opted to have no compression at the highest quality setting for StarWars since I really like this movie, and want to view it at its absolute highest quality. This turned out to be a little over 500MB in size!! That's why it's important to have a large card, such as a 2GB. I have also tried burning the same StarWars movie at around 300MB, and found this to be pretty much the limit before it starts to really degrade in viewing quality. At an even lower 200MB setting, the quality was very poor...a joke really.

The bottom line is that you have to experiment yourself to see what you are willing to put up with in terms of quality, or lack thereof versus file size. I would try this for a test: Burn a movie at the highest quality setting with no compression, and see how this looks to you. Then burn the same movie again, but reduce it down to half the size, and maybe this might still look okay to you. You know when quality has been degraded too far when you see obvious pixelation everywhere, or when the movie playback is choppy.

As a tip, you can easily reduce the file size by knocking down the Audio quality 2 or 3 notches lower, to something like near CD quality, or near FM radio quality. Also, another method is to set the start bar and end bar so that the movie only starts burning at the first frame the movie starts (and cutting out the opening credits). Setting the end bar will cut out the movie ending credits, and this too will save space. The combination of cutting off the opening credits, and ending credits of the movie will save at least 10 to 20 MB !! By the way, another method to reduce file size is to only use the wide screen crop, which is the crop choice at the far right of the crop menu. In other words, do not crop any portion of the movie. Conversely, if you choose the middle crop choice, which is to have enlarged full screen, this will signficantly increase the overall movie size to an extra 100+ MB !! I personally really like the full screen crop because I can see more of the movie in filling up the Treo 650 screen, but this seriously blows up the file size much larger. There are always compromises to be made!
    great post
    I purchased PQDVD's Pocket DVD studio for palm. It is a pretty simple process to RIP a DVD to my Treo 650. I am trying to find out what setting others are using for the best record/playback. I am using TCPMP for playback.

The default recording fps rate is 15. I tried to bump it up to 20 to get closer to the DVD native 24 fps. When I did, I had a problem with the audio being out of sync with the video and I wasn't able to correct it with the offset. I'm not sure if this a processor speed issue. So, I went back to 15 FPS and enabled the two pass encoding. The audio/video sync are fine now, but the video motion isn't as smooth as I would like.

What have y'all tried and what works? Also, what stretch/crop, etc are you using? And what Codecs?
    Last edited by socomon; 02/02/2006 at 12:19 PM.
    Now you know why I burned the original StarWars movie 20 different times...because there are so many settings you can make in Pocket DVD Studio!

I too experimented with different frame rates. My conclusion after many burns is twofold: 1) 15 fps is the safe bet to use for most/all movies...anything higher runs the risk of getting choppy out of synch playback; 2) The maximum frame rate setting can be different for different movies. Sometimes a higher frame rate setting may be okay for movie ABC, but bad choice for movie XYZ.

I've also experimented with the 2 Pass encoding, and also found this to be dicey. Sometimes the 2 Pass setting works out fine, other times it produces problems. Again, no clear answer here too. If you are able to get away with doing a 2 Pass burn, and the playback is okay, then go for it. But if this setting produces poor results, then only use 1 pass.

As for codecs, you must go to the Pocket DVD Studio website, and download the free XVID app to install the MPEG4 driver.

Here is the link for the additional XVID driver download--go down to near bottom of page and click on "Recommended codec-XVID 1.0 Final":

http://www.pqdvd.com/download/

By the way, I have not tried the DIVX 5 driver yet, so I cannot comment on this.

It took me awhile to figure out there was this extra step of installing the XVID codec, but once done, you will now get an option to burn using MPEG4 format in the option setting menu within Pocket DVD Studio. I always burn my movies in MPEG4 format and get good viewing quality.

For stretch mode, I always use 0 (zero) stretch setting, otherwise you will get vertical distortion where people look thinner/taller than reality.

For crop mode, I usually choose the no crop setting, which is the far right choice on the crop menu. However, that said, sometimes for certain movies I might choose the full screen crop setting, which is the middle setting I believe. The full screen crop setting will pretty much fill up the whole screen of the Treo 650, except for a tiny 2mm black border at the top and bottom of screen. However, the downside of this crop setting is that it will increase the total file size significantly.

Additionally, I sometimes burn movies using the +1 Brightness setting, and find this very useful for movies that have many darkly lit scenes. For example, the original StarWars movie looks much better burned in the +1 Brightness setting. I realize you can probably have the same effect by bumping up the brightness level with the TCPMP movie player, but I'd rather burn the movie brighter instead, and have the brightness level in TCPMP at the default 0 (zero) brightness level.

Lastly, all my burned movies for the Treo 650 also play back equally well when copied onto my laptop. In other words, the same burned movies you can view on your Treo 650, you can also view on your laptop screen just as easily. The IMPORTANT thing to do to make this work on your laptop is to also download and install the same XVID codec driver. Simply copy the same XVID codec (from above link) from your desktop PC to your laptop. The movies are played back as a RealPlayer movie file on your laptop (I believe). So now when you are bored, you can watch burned movies either on your Treo or your laptop computer!!

Hope this helps! -Casey
    Thanks for the reply. I noticed on the PQD support page they say if you have audio issue to use the AC3 codec and if you have video issues to use a certain MPEG 1/2 codec. I have been using the MPEG4 codec - XVID. I assume MPEG4 is preferable becuase you get smaller file sizes.

I agree with what you said about the 2 pass burn. i noticed it made some scenes in "Flightplan" more choppy than normal. I might turn that off next time. I will try the +1 brightness. Thanks for your thoughts.
    I have not tried the AC3 codec, nor the MPEG 1/2 either. Actually, the MPEG4 format works well for me, and I don't see the need to try other codec drivers, unless someone can convince me that other drivers are better/superior. I would define a better driver as one that produces a higher quality video/audio file, at an overall smaller file size. It wouldn't do much good if a driver produces fantastic movie quality, but at a huuuuuuge file size. My 2GB SD memory card is already filled to the max with movies, songs, pictures, apps, voice recordings, Word/Excel files, etc, etc, etc. I wish I had a 4,6,8 GB memory card that would work with the Treo !!

By the way, if you want to experiment with various quality settings, but don't want to wait til you burn the entire movie to see the results, you can simply burn a small portion (say 10 minutes worth) of the movie, and then quit burning. Play back the abbreviated movie, and if the setting produces the results you want, go ahead and re-burn the movie to its full length at the setting you want. Tricks of the trade !

I seem to recall from a previous discussion a few months ago that someone commented that in order for the Treo to be able to play back at a faster frames per second, you need to install some type of over-clock application that makes the Treo run faster. In other words, it is the limitation of the Treo's operating system that is the reason why the Treo doesn't play back movies at say 24 or 30 frames per second. I have not had the guts to test the over-clock app on my own Treo, but maybe some else can verify this.

Casey
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have a problem with pqdvd studio. I tried searching and cannot find an answer. I emailed customer service a week ago - no response.
    Worked great in demo mode.
    My problem, if I try 2pass encoding on anything longer than an hour or so, the program locks up or exits (giving that windows reply: ...encountered a problem and must close) The error reporting does not yeild anything.
    I am using xp with 1gb free ram, and loads of hard disk space.
    It doesn't matter what audio compression, or frame rate, or video compression I use.
    Any thoughts on what is going on here?
    I didn't want to start a new thread, as you guys seem to know this program
    Thanks!
    Bill
    Haven't had that happen to me as yet. Sorry no help here. Are any other applications running while you are encoding w/ PQDVD?
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec
    I have a problem with pqdvd studio. I tried searching and cannot find an answer. I emailed customer service a week ago - no response.
    Worked great in demo mode.
    My problem, if I try 2pass encoding on anything longer than an hour or so, the program locks up or exits (giving that windows reply: ...encountered a problem and must close) The error reporting does not yeild anything.
    I am using xp with 1gb free ram, and loads of hard disk space.
    It doesn't matter what audio compression, or frame rate, or video compression I use.
    Any thoughts on what is going on here?
    I didn't want to start a new thread, as you guys seem to know this program
    Thanks!
    Bill
    Hello,

I also got your mailbox message separately too. I've never heard of this problem of freezing up while doing a 2 pass burn...this doesn't happen on my own computer. Only problem I get is that sometimes a 2 pass burn will yield poor results for playback for a given movie...but that's a different problem. Doing a 2 pass burn is very dicey, as I've mentioned in previous posts.

Try the following, which might fix the problem. Delete PocketDVDStudio on your computer, and reinstall from scratch, and see if this solves the problem. If the above doesn't work, then try installing the program and burning a movie on a different 2nd computer, either a desktop or laptop. See if that fixes your problem. Only thing to do is narrow down the possibilities, and figuring out alternate solutions.

Casey