1.    #1  
    Im having issues sending email from my company's server. My IP guy wants to know if the 650 has an IP address. Does it? If so, how can I find it? I've searched for the answer but can't find it. Thanks in advance.
    A guess on my part -- I would say no.

The Treo can "access" e-mail servers thru Versa-mail or other programs and can "access" the WEB thru data services provided by your carrier but I do not believe that it has it's own IP address. Aren't those only for internet servers? (Well, thanks gfunk -- I learn something new everyday! See the next post.)

BTW -- Are you trying to send email from your Treo via VersaMail? To get outgoing mail to go on my Sprint Treo -- on all accounts I have set up within VersaMail (home and office) -- I had to use the Sprint Server (smtp.sprintpcs.com) as my outgoing server in each account -- that has been working fine for me for the last year.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/30/2006 at 09:36 AM.
    Goto > prefs > network > menu > options > view log:

type info > enter

Will list local IP address...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I believe to get a static IP address you must be enrolled in a PDA data plan. The MediaNet plan does not provide you with a static IP IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    A guess on my part -- I would say no.

The Treo can "access" e-mail servers thru Versa-mail or other programs and can "access" the WEB thru data services provided by your carrier but I do not believe that it has it's own IP address. Aren't those only for internet servers? (Well, thanks gfunk -- I learn something new everyday! See the next post.)

BTW -- Are you trying to send email from your Treo via VersaMail? To get outgoing mail to go on my Sprint Treo -- on all accounts I have set up within VersaMail (home and office) -- I had to use the Sprint Server (smtp.sprintpcs.com) as my outgoing server in each account -- that has been working fine for me for the last year.

Cheers, Perry.
    As a user of T-Mobile VPN, I do have my own IP address on my Treo 650. I don't believe it's a static IP, however.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I do not believe that it has it's own IP address.
    Every device connected to Internet has an IP address.

Im having issues sending email from my company's server. My IP guy wants to know if the 650 has an IP address. Does it? If so, how can I find it? I've searched for the answer but can't find it. Thanks in advance.
    just point blazer to the following address http://www.whatismyip.com/
    Last edited by The Solutor; 01/30/2006 at 12:58 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks gfunk, you da man. I'm on Sprint, is my IP address static?
  8.    #8  
    I have unlimited vision, if that makes a difference.
    Is very unlikely, but try it yourself, connect (and disconnect) to the Internet 3 or 4 times and check if the IP changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    Every device connected to Internet has a IP address.
    just point blazer to the following address http://www.whatismyip.com/
    This is bad advice and will return the incorrect IP address. Since you're using a caching proxy server (Sprint uses SQUID) you'll return the IP Address of the proxy server not your phone IP. Do as gfunk said to get the device IP address or go:

prefs -> network -> options -> view log
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    I have unlimited vision, if that makes a difference.
    Your IP is not static. It will use the below ranges (in CIDR format):

68.240.0.0/13
    70.0.0.0/13
    70.8.0.0/14
    70.12.0.0/15
    70.14.0.0/16
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    Hi dean25261,

I was wrong on the IP address -- but keep my other comment in mind -- try setting the outgoing server for the VersaMail account you have set up to the Sprint server (smtp.sprintpcs.com) and see if this cures your "outgoing" problem.

If you do this -- you also have to go to the advanced pages (Outgoing Server Settings) in the set up sequence and key in your sprint userid and password, as well as, check the use authentication (ESMTP) box.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    This is bad advice and will return the incorrect IP address. Since you're using a caching proxy server (Sprint uses SQUID) you'll return the IP Address of the proxy server not your phone IP. Do as gfunk said to get the device IP address or go:

prefs -> network -> options -> view log
    Yes, the other reason Solutor's post is misleading is the issue with NAT. While every device on the Internet has an IP address, it may not be an Internet routable IP address. With the advent of RFC 1918 and NAT, the address on your device is not necessarily your source address as it routes thorugh the Internet.

Example: I am on Cingular and when I go to whatismyip.com, I see a 209.183.x.x address, while my Treo reports 10.96.x.x. My 10. address on the Treo is translated to the 209. address at Cingular's egress into the Internet.
    Exactly, Cingular uses NAT while Sprint uses an Internet routable IP address (hence the CIDR list). If your IP reports as being in the IANA Reserve IP (RFC 1918) range you're behind a NAT device:

10.0.0.0/8
    172.16.0.0/12
    192.168.0.0/16
  15.    #15  
    changing the outgoing server to smtp.sprintpcs.com didn't fix it. the trouble Im having is that when I go to send an email from my work account (exchange server, POP protocol) I get an error 553 Email name not allowed or chunk too large. Any suggestions?
  16.    #16  
    OK, had the wrong password, the smtp.sprintpcs.com outgoing server did work. Called Sprint and they reset my password and talked me through it, and it works. Thanks everyone for your input, it really helped out.
    Example: I am on Cingular and when I go to whatismyip.com, I see a 209.183.x.x address, while my Treo reports 10.96.x.x. My 10. address on the Treo is translated to the 209. address at Cingular's egress into the Internet.
    You are right, this is why I suggested to use whatismyip and not the info directly on the treo.
    Yes, but I guess part of my point was that the IP address reported by whatismyip.com is not necessarily the IP address of your device. If someone asks for the IP address of your Treo, you are better following GFunk's advice. If the tech helping you knows anything about IP addressing (I know that is a stretch) they will know that you are being NAT'd somewhere.