Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks. It doesn't seem likely to be "a 650 carrier thing", but you never know. I've done the same thing from ZL a number of times now without a problem. I guess RLing ZL solved it for you, so that's good.
    This is a very useful application.

Here is a screen shot.

If you are put off by the warning of losing ZL prefs, just try it without running the purges. I've had no problems though, and have found the info useful in tracking down problems
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasT; 01/31/2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Nice find. Thanks for the post
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    rudychow,
    Can you elaborate on the menu choices for clearing the dbcache? What exactly does each one do? I hesitate to use those options without knowing what I am doing.
    Thanks,
    Zane
    Sorry about the delay in replying guys... Been busy.

Anyway, there shouldn't be anything unsafe about this app. It's exactly the same mechanism employed within the 1.20 update. Basically, it does everything the OS already would automatically. Well, it might help in debugging buggy non-NVFS-friendly apps but that's about it. NVFS DB Cache management is pretty solid this time round. Palm engineers have done a good job .
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill
    Nice find. Thanks for the post
    For more info on this app, check out the original post about version 1.0

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=68881
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Hey Tom, I'm using Cingular Blue 1.17 fw. I launched Memory Info from zLauncher then tried to clear the memfill cache. When I hit the home button to go back to ZL it told me the db wa corrupted. Fortunately a painless restore from backup of zLauncher_DB and I was ready to roll
    Took me a few more days of using the Sprint/cdma 1.13a update, but now I know what you mean. Sometimes when I do the memfill flush, everything works fine. Other times, I got the "ZL db corrupted" message and then a reset. When the db "got corrupted" though, it wasn't catastrophic and didn't need a restore.

I'm now RL'ing ZL just to play it safe. Even though ZL is ~1M, locking it doesn't seem to fragment the cache or effect my total/contiguous free space.
    What level of Largest Free Chunk are others getting ?

I was getting 4821kb/4644kb ratio, see above pic.

But following a hard reset I'm now getting 4821kb/2701kb

Nothing I do will recover my 650 to the previous levels.

What is the normal amount that others are getting
    Thought of the day :
    NVFS DB Cache
    Total:11647
    Total Free:8789
    Largest Free Chunk:3868

After Flush DB Cache (Hotsync) : No change

After Flush DB Cache (MemFill):
    Total Free:11500
    Largest Free Chunk:4229

After running Blazer and then Flush DB Cache (MemFill):
    Total Free:11500
    Largest Free Chunk:8072

After the last firmware update, Blazer has been the one application that seems to trigger the garbage collection in the NVFS cache.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    NVFS DB Cache
    Total Free:8789
    Largest Free Chunk:3868
    Thanks for those figures, the level of free NVFS is effect by the number of background apps you have installed, such as VolumnCare, TealLock, Butler etc.

The figure I was really interested was the Dynamic Heap (Ram)
    Currently I have:
    Total Size: 5440kb
    Total Free: 4819kb
    Largest Free Chuck : 2701kb.

But if I take a reading right after a Warm Reset (safe mode) the Chunk size jumps to about 4644kb.
    Thought of the day :
    After a soft reset, my Dynamic heap # are :

Total: 5440
    Total Free: 4886
    Largest free chunk: 2837

Since no application is running after a warm reset, it figures that the numbers would be higher.

Is the largest free size of dynamic heap becoming a factor in running your applications?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    After a soft reset, my Dynamic heap # are :

Total: 5440
    Total Free: 4886
    Largest free chunk: 2837

Since no application is running after a warm reset, it figures that the numbers would be higher.

Is the largest free size of dynamic heap becoming a factor in running your applications?
    For a long time I've been finding that I get random reset while using my Sat nav app, Navman.
    Flushing the NVFS with DBCache DA helped, but a soft reset c/w flush seemed to give the best results.

Recently I upgraded to the new Palm 1.20 ENA from 1.31OUK, via 1.23 ROW.

Things seemed a bit better. I then found this MemoryInfo app.

I found, like you, that I had a Free/Largest Chunk 4800kb/2700kb, in round numbers.

I played around with putting various apps on my SD card and suddenly found I had 4800/4700. This made my Sat nav, and Treo, very stable.

Blazer & Rosco Backup would drop it back to 4800/2700, but a soft reset would bring things back to 4800/4700.

Yesterday I had to do a Hard Reset to help track down a problem with some beta software I'm testing, but I then found that my dynamic Heap was back to 4800/2700. Nothing I do, including more Hard resets, help to restore the balance.

I have found that if I do a Warm reset, safe mode, I get 4800/4700, but after the needed reset to start everything up I'm then back at 4800/2700.

This would make you think it's an added app that's grabbing the memory, but this is not the case, as I get the same 2 reading after a hard reset, so in this case there is no new apps to do the grabbing.

Was it just a fluke that I got 4800/4700 from the reformat of RAM done at the first Hard Reset when upgrading to 1.20, or is there something else going on here?

I have sort of got round the Sat nav problem by trying UDMH, which gives me memory of 17820kb/13020kb, but I'd rather get back to 4800/4700 if possible.

I think I've done all the options, so that's why I'm interested what Free Chunk size others have
    Last edited by ChasT; 02/05/2006 at 09:03 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    Any other users care to share their Largest Free Chunk amount v's Total Free Dynamic ?

So far only aprasad & tomvb2000 seem to be using memoryInfo
    Thought of the day :
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Any other users care to share their Largest Free Chunk amount v's Total Free Dynamic ?

So far only aprasad & tomvb2000 seem to be using memoryInfo
    That's because with the 1.20 update it is no longer needed... DBCache management is done automatically and effectively.

Prior to 1.20: Purging was done to free up DBCache but not defragmentation (resulting in Max Largest Chunk dropping to dangerously levels).

With 1.20: Purging and defragmentation is done as needed. To test this, keep using your device until the Max Largest chunk is low (around 200KB). Using Resco/Filez, install PalmPDF (around 1+MB) from the SD. There will be a slight delay while DBCache is being purged and defragmented; after which the action will proceed. Check back with MemInfo and you will see the values for DBCache would have shot up indicating proper DBCache management.
    Rudy

Thanks for that, but I'm talking about Dynamic Heap memory, not NVFS DB Cache.

I was interested what level of DH Larget Free Chunk other have.

If you install UDMH you will find that PalmPDF will handle bigger files, and will render them in colour to a bigger zoom factor. This is because DH memory is increase, DB Cache will have no effect on this
    Thought of the day :
  15.    #35  
    Oops... I'm sorry I was unaware you were referring to dynamic memory. My bad... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    New version allows flushing and defragmenting (to increase largest free chunk) of the dbCache. Also has a "compact storage/dynamic heap" feature (no idea what it does though).

Not sure if this is gonna be much use as the dbCache mangement functionality provided is performed automatically in the 1.20 software update. Nonetheless here it is...
    So help me understand the use of this...
    I use it only on my CARD to flush the cache when I get a dbcache error using TOm TOM. I do not have it installed on the Treo

But that is all

Is this supposed to be installed in Treo memory? Does it actually RUN in the background? Or does it only do the 5 commands when you hit the option key?
    It doesn't automatically run in the background, so you can keep it on the card and run it when needed if you like. It's a small app so you can keep it in memory as well. Either way is fine.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    So help me understand the use of this...
    I use it only on my CARD to flush the cache when I get a dbcache error using TOm TOM. I do not have it installed on the Treo

But that is all

Is this supposed to be installed in Treo memory? Does it actually RUN in the background? Or does it only do the 5 commands when you hit the option key?
    Are you talking about MemoryInfo?
    If so:
    It does not need to be in Treo memory, RAM
    It does not work in the background.
    Option Key ? Not sure what you mean.

If you are having TomTom memory problems, I would:
    1. Install DBCache Tool, and set it to Auto Clear, DB mode App stop etc.
    2. Try UDMH, it worked for me.
    http://palmpowerups.com/modules.php?...showpage&pid=2
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Do you really think it's Blazer forcing the flush on it's own or is the cache manager kicking in automatically when it sees an app (like Blazer or any other) that needs more than is available. I think it's the latter which should mean that other apps can run where in the past, they'd hit the "out of memory" wall.
    I now know for sure that TomTom sometimes generates a (PALM OS?) message under 1.20:
    "Free DB cache memory too small (F and last L were off-screen)
    Not enough free DB cache memory to run this application", see http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105958

I got this message a number of times now, so even if PAlmOS's cache manager kicks in automatically, it is not sufficient for TomTom while a manual flush trough DBcacheDA is sufficient for TomTom.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I just looked and had some low numbers.....did a soft reset and get (meminfo)

Stoarge Heap
    Total Size -- 24,270 KB
    Total Free -- 12,488 KB

NVFS DB Cache
    Total Size -- 11,647 KB
    Total Free -- 7,642 KB
    Largest Free chunk -- 7,637 KB

Dynamic Heap
    Total Size -- 5,440 KB
    Total Free -- 4,824 KB
    Largest Free chunk -- 4,756 KB

Before the soft reset LFC on DH was around 2700