Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I am going to pick up the phone tomorrow so I will have an extra PDA phone around in the event I have a problem with my main phone again. Is there anything new with the 650 that I should know about to get the phone going as smoothly as I had it going last year? I don't want to buy software since I was happy with what I had on it back then and I prefer to put that $$ into my PPC software.

I am thinking about potential software upgrades to the phone or bug fixes that may have been released. I heard something about a newer version of VersaMail as well...is this accurate?
    From where are you getting the phone? If it's from a phone store, it should have the latest factory software. If not, just search here for the latest update from the specific carrier and install that first (make sure you follow the instructions to the letter). Most carriers have released an update within the past year that contains VersaMail bug fixes, among other patches.

What did you do to your previous 650 to get it running smoothly? I'd suggest doing the same but downloading the most current version of whatever 3rd party apps you had. In most cases those updates will be free unless a major revision has been released.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I am buying the phone from someone local here in the Chicago area. I will check to see if it has the latest firmware, but it is definitely a Cingular phone that is being unlocked. Thanks for the tip on downloading the latest apps...I was going to use the last backup from when I had the 650. My last Treo was running smoothly most likely because I didn't load a whole lot of applications on it. It wasn't perfect, but many people here seemed to have MANY more issues than I did...less is more sometimes.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    If it's from a phone store, it should have the latest factory software.
    Most of the time, though not always. It's definitely worth checking, if only to be sure it's not one that was sitting on the shelf for a while. If Palm has an updated version out (or you feel like going for one of the unofficial versions), load it before loading any software or data. Simpler that way.

I work with both Cingular-branded and unlocked GSM Treos frequently; I saw two unlocked GSM ones today, for instance, that were still on 1.13.
    No offence, Silver5, but ... say, what?

You are buying a Treo650 as a backup to your PPC (phone?)??? With the money we all spend on software to customize these critters, wouldn't you want to do it just once? Why not buy another PPC phone as backup? Confused, I am.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I got a 650 from Cingular yesterday. I wanted to check that it's as current as it can/should be (the box was stamped 1/26/06, but you never know)... is the firmware that is being referred to here (1.13, 1.20) shown under Phone>Options>Phone info>Firmware?

Mine says 1.51... nothing I've seen mentions a rev higher than 1.20. Just want to check that I'm looking at the right thing.
    Treo 755P
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton
    Mine says 1.51... nothing I've seen mentions a rev higher than 1.20. Just want to check that I'm looking at the right thing.
    Current Cingular Firmware is 1.51
    Current Cingular Software is 1.17 (CNG)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I am thinking about potential software upgrades to the phone or bug fixes that may have been released. I heard something about a newer version of VersaMail as well...is this accurate?
    Versamail gets updated when ya install the latest ROM update which brings you to 1.51 formware and 1.17 on Cingular software. I believe the unlocked GSM is 1.20.

As for program updates, download TrackerDog. It will scan your system and tell you if you have any outdated versions. Expect a few errors as developers don't always update the version field when they release new versions.

http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    No offence, Silver5, but ... say, what?

You are buying a Treo650 as a backup to your PPC (phone?)??? With the money we all spend on software to customize these critters, wouldn't you want to do it just once? Why not buy another PPC phone as backup? Confused, I am.
    You make a good point. I was trying to buy another PPC phone but I couldn't find one I wanted quickly enough. I was looking for an SX66, or an iPaq 6515, or something along those lines but people were either asking WAY too much for them or I just wasn't finding what I wanted. One guy wanted $500 for an SX66...needless to say, I passed on it. I am now realizing that I will have to add all my old programs one at a time since my backups are all gone. I deleted them since I didn't think I would ever have a Treo again. At least I don't have to buy anything new...just add them back on since I still have them in a folder on my laptop.

I should add, I only paid $200 for this Treo 650! I would not have found a decent PPC phone for that price this quickly. I still have an SX66 here but the screen is broken (bought it for $15!!) so I can get that fixed any time for about the cost of the Treo I just got. We'll see....I just miss my Qtek 9100...

I will be needing to update the phone's firmware. Will that re-lock my Cingular branded Treo?? I unlocked it with a code remotely.