1. mbn
    I have Goodlink Version 4.0.3.6 installed on my treo 650. I'd like to upgrade to the latest client sw version - I think it's 4.7.

Do I need to get permission from my administrator to upgrade or can I simply upgrade the client software myself, preferably OTA. I'm not an admin, just a user.

If so, can someone please tell me how?

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I have 4.7.0.25 that I downloaded from http://www.good.com/download/
    Use the first link on the page (End User Desktop Client) it will download a program. Just run it and follow the prompts. very easy. Your IT guys don't need to do anything.

If your IT guys are like mine, it will take them forever to load the new server software. It is the new server software that will let them send you the client stuff OTA.

I do like the new version (4.7)

-Sean
  3. mbn
    thx- I tried to do it from my home pc and it was looking for my exchange server profile, so I guess I have to install the upgrade from the pc that has my excahnge profile on it, which is my pc at work. However, the only options I received were for a new sw installation, or to see the device info. The upgrade sw button was greyed out.
  4. mbn
    A few more questions about upgrading to 4.7- I'm a newbie to Treo (moved companies in October from a berry environment for 5 years)

1) My IT guys sent me the email to install GL on my 650 in October, 2005 and I guess it was for 4.0.3.6- why didn't they send me an OTA link to a later version to install? I can't imagine 4.0.3.6 was the latest version in October 2005.

2) Can I install 4.7 right on top of my old 4.0 version, or do I need to do a hard reset and then do a clean install of 4.7?

3) Also, do I have to use the desktop client to upgrade to 4.7, i.e. can it be done OTA? I tried to upgrade using the desktop client from my home pc, but it was looking for my exchange profile so I guess downloading the install tool needs to be done from my work pc that has the exchange profile that GL syncs up with.

4) Last, how much free memory do I need to upgrade? Right now I've got 5.3M free space on my phone. Is that enough to upgrade to 4.7?

5) This one's a little off topic, but does anyone know when Cingular will offer the 700 for consumers???
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn
    thx- I tried to do it from my home pc and it was looking for my exchange server profile, so I guess I have to install the upgrade from the pc that has my excahnge profile on it, which is my pc at work. However, the only options I received were for a new sw installation, or to see the device info. The upgrade sw button was greyed out.
    I'm having the same problem here but I am using my work PC (not connected to my network)
    Is there a way to get this to work?
    It appears that my current version is 4.0.0.59 which I got today from OTA. Shouldn't 4.7 be the one that's downloadable?
    Just my personal exp as a GoodLink admin,
    The OTA Email will only give you the software which is setup by the profile on your GL Server. This can be different versions, but usually it's the version that the GL Server was installed with.
    Sometimes, you can not do a cabled install if your GL Profile does not allow it. And you need to have an Exchange profile matching your GL Profile on the machine your are installing from.

For my few users, after countless OTA installs (which is very convient, but take a long time) I have switched over to a cabled install at my desk. Where I have a junk Outlook profile that I can change to any user. Installing over the HotSync cable is much faster and easier. They can drop off thier phone at lunch, and it will be done before they're back.
    Cargo...out of curiosity, how long do OTA installs take you? Average time I have seen is about 20 minutes, from downloading the stub to provisioned.
    Hi GoodGuy,
    20minutes sounds about right. The download is the very long part and typing in the pin number is never fun either.
    Now that I have a cabled station I won't be doing anymore email setups. Using the HotSync install method only takes a few minutes.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I looked in this forum and on the support pages at good.com and can't seem to find what the new features in version 4.7 are.

Is there a place on the good web site that lists these? Want to see if it is worth updating my software (And risking problems with my phone) before installing.
    The key change with 4.7 wasw WM5 support. From an end-user perspective, the reply and reply all are now touch screen items with forward being removed ('F' will enable forwarding) and adding vCard attachments to contacts were the two major changes
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Sounds good. How stable is it on a Cingular with 1.17 firmware? I always worry about trashing the phone and having to explain to my IT people that I upgraded the software.
    Have not heard one way or the other since I use a Sprint device. Any Cingular users here want to comment?
  13. mbn
    My device is locked to the sw the admins specify so OTA was the only way to get it- had to have the admin download newest software for all new devices but finally got 4.7 installed. 4.7 seems to be more stable than previous the version (no more slow motion responses that I sometimes had when typing an email). Also seemed to solve some minor calendar issues I was having. All in all, not a huge difference that I can see, but my 650 does not seem to be sluggish like it used to be. It didn't take the first 2 times we tried OTA so we had to wipe the device clean, delete me from the goodlink server and send me a new password. Since I backed up prior to the install, all my apps and settings reloaded perfectly after the install. Goodguy- the downloads took almost exactly 20 minutes each time OTA. I'm using 4.7 on a Cingular 650 with 1.17- no issues whatsoever.
    My admin had to enable 4.7 on OTA to have it work when I download it. Works fine now.
    How about loading all the PRC files in the folder
    D:\Program Files\Good Technology\GoodLink Client\Palm Handhelds\Treo650\v4.7\EN?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    bump.

Can the client SW be upgraded via the PRC files in the folder listed in my last email?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It took me a few tries and more than 20 minutes to install software using my home WLAN (not GPRS). Originally tried to install software on my mini SD card and that is probably why the multiple installation tries as it looks like it was never intended to be installed on an external memory card. I had the choice of using it or not using it for my work email. Currently I am not happy with the product and while I am convincing many peers (Treo 600-650) to check out the Cingular 8125 and many have already purchased this phone (5 so far). I would have to say at this time that I wouldn't recommend the use of Goodlink with the Cingular 8125. I am not going to repeat what others have mentioned across this forum but at this time it appears to take over many of my more needed features on my phone. Email is important to me and I did like being connected all of the time. Historically I have used and connected to our exchange server using IMAP. The purpose of the purchase of the phone wasn't just to be able to get to my company's email. The purpose of my purchase of this phone was to be able to utilize all of the WM5 features and this product has taken many of those features away. The simple solution for me is just to remove the software and wait to see what the next gen of this product software brings to the WM5 world.

The only way I was able to remove the software cleanly is by a cold restart.

I'll end my comments on this sub forum - not worth the effort nor time for this product. Goodlink must have some very good salesmen to be able to peddle this cr#p.
    Last edited by PeteC; 04/08/2006 at 06:24 PM.