1.    #1  
    I'm looking forward to buying an unlocked GSM 650, but I've never heard so many people complain about a product.
    Dropped calls, low volume, low memory, constant resets, bluetooth problems, crashes, call waiting issues, synching errors, the list goes on and on.
    Does anyone own a problem free 650?
    Am I about to buy a $550 machine that is guaranteed to have frustrating problems?
    I think a lot of problems are attributable to software problems, most of which have been fixed with the most recent palm firmware updates.
    It's a great device and you can load it with a lot of third party application which is both a blessing and a curse, because while there is an amazing array of really useful applications, some of them can cause problems.
    But overall I would say it's definitely worth it, my 650 is problem free since the latest version (FW1.71/1.20).
    Quote Originally Posted by redleaf12@usa.n
    I'm looking forward to buying an unlocked GSM 650, but I've never heard so many people complain about a product.
    Rememer this is a forum where people come to discuss problems, so it stands to reason you're going to read about problems. Also remember a Treo is a Palm device, so it's stability is more akin to early Windows versions than to a phone.

Dropped calls,
    I don't have a problem with dropped calls any more than other phones.

low volume,
    I don't have an issue with the volume (other than BT), but that is one constant complaint that I see here, and I don't work in a noisy environment. Volumecare seems to fix that issue just fine.

low memory,
    Valid complaint.

constant resets. Does anyone own a problem free 650?
    I had lots of resets at first but they were all application related (Advice from experience: Don't install 2 dozen apps when you first get the phone). Rock solid now.

Am I about to buy a $550 machine that is guaranteed to have frustrating problems?
    Out of the box, you should be fine. If you want to add features and install apps, there is a good chance you will run into problems. Most of those problems can be fixed if you have the patience to work through them.
    Last edited by ColKurtz; 01/28/2006 at 02:52 PM.
    I think the vast majority of Treo owners don't have major problems. Like it has been stated before it is generally add on software. I don't have problems with my Treo dropping calls or volume etc. Not many people will start threads like "I love my Treo so much..." but when asked about it by someone in line at the store that is what you say.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

And I'm Buying a 650..Why?
    Because other PDA phones have more problem?
    Good Question...
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Not to try and repeat what everyone has already stated, but the Treo is a computer. It's a computer at the same time trying to perform as a phone. If you have a PC remember the problems you had with it after loading certain programs. The only saving grace to the problems that I have had with my 650 is this forum. If there are problems, it's almost certain that someone else here has seen it. Imagine if you logged onto an alcoholics forum. You would say there sure is a lot of people with drinking problems. Same here.
    [QUOTE= Imagine if you logged onto an alcoholics forum. You would say there sure is a lot of people with drinking problems. Same here.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I have a locked Cingular 650 and it's been flawless since day1 February 2005!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Mine too, very stable except when I am purposely pushing the limits which being a chronic tinkerer means fairly often. Is there a tinkerer's anonymous? Every problem I have created though has been resolved and I can always rely on my Treo to do what I really want it to do. The great people on this forum are always ready to help with any problem you do run into. If you are going to install a new app that you are unsure of wait until you have some spare time to install it so that if you do run into a problem you have time to work through it without getting into a panic.

Buy it, you will love it.
    This is where peeps come to solve problems....so by definition, what you see on the boards is peeps with questions on how to do things of solve problems.

Dropped calls
    I have had 5 or 6 in a year of use.....almost always in mountainous areas.

low volume
    Never experienced. This seems to be more of a problem with some carriers models than others. Seems the earlier the model hit the streets, the more likely it is that the user experienced it.

low memory
    Have 15 - 20 MB free depending on my mood and what I want to leave in memory. have several programs like Bonsai, D&EA that won't run completely from card and others like VoiceDail that I just don't want to wait to load.

constant resets
    I usally get a few resets a day of so after loading a new ROM but a reinstall of the program usually fixes.

bluetooth problems
    Never experienced....uisng Treo BT Headset

crashes
    Had about 3 or 4 in a year....2 associated with a program installed within last 2 weeks.

[QUOTE=redleaf12@usa.n]call waiting issues
    Never use it. Don't quite understand reasoning for making 1 person wait while I take a second call. First come, first serve. Voice Mail works.

[QUOTE=redleaf12@usa.n]synching errors
    Have had a few, mostly due to my not RTFM'ing befpore doing something. Other shave been single instance errors like when starting with a new SD card.

Does anyone own a problem free 650?
    There's a few "polls" that were started here right after someone like yaself asked just a question....over 95% were trouble free.
  11.    #11  
    The only 3rd party program I consider a must is Vindigo. Love that thing.
    Does anyone know if Vindigo causes problems with Treos?
    I purchased a refurb Treo 650 from Cingular and never have I been so happy. No Resets at all, no dropped calls or bluetooth problems. It was very easy to setup a bluetooth connection to my computer (note i didnt set it up to synch via bluetooth just connect to the internet) and have had no synch errors. For the record though, I didn't load up my treo and actually still have around 18 or 19 megs left. I install most of my stuff to the card. Best decision I have made.

Dave
    KEEP IN MIND ONE THING:

NOTHING ON THIS EARTH is problem free. From cars to appliances to audio/video gadgets, PCs, etc. There are web blogs, forums messageboards for almost ANYTHING. That being said, use your judgement. There are plusses and minusses for the Treo, just as there are for any other smartphone, or regular cell phone. You'll read about bugs and fixes, 3rd party freeware, etc. Its still your choice. I do think HOWEVER, that good devices will have more positive opinions than negative................
    The only 3rd party program I consider a must is Vindigo. Love that thing.
    Does anyone know if Vindigo causes problems with Treos?
    If you are not going to install every app under the sun, you should be fine with your Treo. Another good thing to do before installing any 3rd party app is to search the TreoCentral forums first. The odds are good are someone has posted comments that should highlight pros and cons. If you use caution before installing programs, you really shouldn't have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmmgg
    KEEP IN MIND ONE THING:

NOTHING ON THIS EARTH is problem free. From cars to appliances to audio/video gadgets, PCs, etc. There are web blogs, forums messageboards for almost ANYTHING. That being said, use your judgement. There are plusses and minusses for the Treo, just as there are for any other smartphone, or regular cell phone. You'll read about bugs and fixes, 3rd party freeware, etc. Its still your choice. I do think HOWEVER, that good devices will have more positive opinions than negative................
    My Blackberry 8700 is problem free. It is perfect. No resets, no bugs, no problems.
    Here's my bottom line...

My Treo 650 from Verizon is one of the greatest purchases I have EVER made, and I love to buy electro,techno toys. No joke. Since I bought it last fall I cannot walk anywhere without it in my hand or my pocket, ready to jump out at a moment's notice. (It also makes a great flashlight in the middle of the night). I have had no problems that couldn't be resolved by the knowledge base you find here and elsewhere.

I resolved the volume issue by installing VolumeCare. The wealth of software out there, free and otherwise is amazing, and the accessibility of internet and email is just unbelievably convenient. Add the mp3 player, camera, camcorder, docs to go, and all the rest, how can you resist. The only disappointment to me is that is doesn't have broadband speed for internet. However, the National Access is still quick enough for me to surf to my hearts content.

I love it so much I find myself doing commercials for it to others all the time. Too bad I don't get a commission for it.

Gotta go now and use it to make some toast. Go for it!
    I like the 650...by now it's fairly stable. However, you might wait a little longer and see what comes out in the next couple of months?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The problem with the Treo 650 is that you have to put it in perspective. Palms came into the picture because they could run a whole mini operating system on a tiny battery.

Then Treo married a Palm to a phone. Then high res graphics, compatibility with Word and Excel, email, browsing became possible.

But all that on a "keep it together with chewing gum" operating system.

And it is open, with the same "get along with your neighbor" rules as the wild west. One new application and next thing you know, your Treo AND your computer have crashed.

I love my Treo. But don't cry like a baby when you lose all your information. Hey when are we getting our first Treo virus? Aren't we being discriminated against that we don't have a virus? We'd be proud to have one. But then again, our OS is so unstable the viruses are scared of resets and all.