Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My treo is less than a week old, hoping this isn't my first issue. I ordered the thing and couldn't be more excited, but reading on here has made me worried about some problems.

Part of what really drew me to the treo was the ability to carry video and music with me. So, last night, I swing by a Cingular store and find a set of stereo headsets. Thing is, these aren't "treo" specific. They say they are compatible with the ROKR phone, the itunes one. I asked, they said they would work. While shopping I stopped by Staples, also saw somw stereo phones. They also didn't say Treo, but they were $34, the ones at Cingular $16, so I got the $16 pair.

Here is the deal. I tried to call my wife, she said she could barely hear me. I figured I would try more when I got home. When I got home loaded some music to my SD, transfered it over, started to listen. Matisyahu screamed in my right ear so loud I had to pull the earphone out. I tried turnign the volume down, but then there was nothing. I pulled the headset out, the speaker worked fine, but I can't get it to go through both earpieces. Actually, I can, if I pull it out one click from fully inserted, turn it just right, and stick my tounge out.

So, in trying to fix this I read in the manual that the Treo requires a special 3 pin headset. Is it possible that this ROKR set or the Universal set at Staples wont work? Or, is my jack messed up already before my first use. BTW--Can't find any Palm ones local, and really wanted an in-ear option anyway.
    The Treo has a 2.5mm headset jack (most "normal" earphones are 3.5"). If you try multiple 2.5mm earphones at the store and they both output to only one ear then have your phone serviced.
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    So, in trying to fix this I read in the manual that the Treo requires a special 3 pin headset. Is it possible that this ROKR set or the Universal set at Staples wont work? Or, is my jack messed up already before my first use. BTW--Can't find any Palm ones local, and really wanted an in-ear option anyway.
    I don't believe the ROKR's headset will work--and this was told to me at a Cingular store when I explained I wanted to try it with my Treo.

That being said there are several stereo headsets--with mics--that work with the Treo 650. I bought one on Ebay for around $15 and it works fine. I can listen to music, and use the phone, with the same headphones.

if you only want to listen to music, you can buy a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm male-to-female stereo adapter. These allow the use of most any 3.5mm headphones, but are primarily for music--not phone use. Radio Shack sells such an adapter, but since it's long (and straight) it puts a lot of stress on the Treo's fragile headset jack. There are other adapters that either place their plug at a 90 degree angle to their jack or separate the jack and plug with a small piece of wire. The store on this Website sells just about all of the options you need to listen to music on the Treo.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $about$ $the$ $only$ &$quot$;$normal$&$quot$; $phone$ $accessories$ $that$ $work$ $with$ $the$ $Treo$'$s$ $headset$ $jack$ $are$ $the$ $typical$ ($mono$) $cellphone$ $headsets$. $In$ $the$ $case$ $of$ $the$ $Treo$ $650$, $music$ $will$ $at$ $least$ $play$ $through$ $one$ $of$ $these$ ($in$ $mono$, $of$ $course$).

--
    Mike
  4.    #4  
    Has anyone tried any other "generic" types? I really would like to avoid an adapter for two reasons. One, the stress on the jack. Two, having to carry around too many things. I guess I am taking this one back then trying to look at a few more stores. A Cingular guy told me to try and find a sprint store. He said they tend to carry more Treo stuff. Guy at another cingular store said no one had ever even asked about headsets before, so go figure.
    Why not just get one of the many available (stereo) headsets designed just for the Treo? While I suppose there are generic 2.5mm headsets around, I certainly wouldn't waste time trying to find one--and hope it works--when there are plenty of verified solutions available that definitely work.

--
    Mike
    A Cingular guy told me to try and find a sprint store. He said they tend to carry more Treo stuff. Guy at another cingular store said no one had ever even asked about headsets before, so go figure.
    Again, you don't need "Treo" headphones. There's no such thing outside of a marketing campaign. You just need a set with 2.5mm plugs. There are good 2.5mm sets and bad ones. You just need to try a 2nd set...ANY set... and if you have the exact same problem then it is certainly the phone.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Fry's, you'll probably find a good selection there. Otherwise you might have luck with BestBuy/Circuit City. I got the 2.5mm Seido retractable set from Treostore and they work great.

But I agree with you about an adapter. There are several posts here about adapters breaking the headphone jacks.
    How many devices use 2.5mm stereo jacks? Besides my Treo, the only other device I have ever owned that used a 2.5mm stereo jack was my old Toshiba Libretto 50--and it came with a 3.5mm adapter. And it didn't have to contend with a mic connection.

In any event, I didn't see even one 2.5mm stereo headset in any of the major electronic retailers that I visited. Well, except for Fry's: they had one cheap $7 set (retractable cord) that looked like they would fall apart if actually used.

And there are indeed "Treo" headsets. These are the ones that not only allow you to listen to music in stereo, but also use the phone (with the mic on the headset--including the tradition phone button). While there might be some arcane device that uses the exact same jack as the Treo, I certainly have never seen one.

--
    Mike
    Treos use basic 2.5mm stero jacks. You're right that we haven't seen many 2.5mm stereo headsets around because there haven't been many devices that used them. But that's changing because of things like Treos and iTunes phones. But 2.5mm stero jacks are a commoditized part that everyone uses, likely coming in bulk from Taiwan so that Palm can shave 5c off the cost of making a Treo. There's probably only a couple of companies that even manufacture them. There's nothing specific about the Treo's 2.5mm jack.

And here's a link to headsets at Best Buy . No guarantee they have them in-store, but you can get quality 2.5mm headsets there, and they have a good return policy in case you don't like them.
    I have yet to see "quality" 2.5mm stereo headsets. At least not yet.

And the ROKR's jack, even though it is 2.5mm and capable of stereo sound and phone (w/mic) is definitely not the same as the Treo's. So which design is the standard?

And the Bestbuy site listed one, perhaps two (the photo only showed mono), 2.5mm stereo headsets (based on the provided URL). These both came with mics. Are they compatible with the Treo or with the ROKR?

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman!; 01/28/2006 at 02:19 PM.
    The ROKR headphones WILL NOT WORK with the Treo. Though the connector is "generic" it is is being used for a mic connection as well. This switching does make it somewhat Treo specific. You need to get a set that at least claims to be compatible. The Treo Hybrid sold by Palm is more than just marketing, it allows for music but also as a headset for the phone. I have looked at Best Buy etc. and never found anything other than from an online source.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Perhaps I stand corrected. I can't imagine there's "2.5mm jack" standards war brewing. I would assume a 2.5mm jack is a 2.5mm jack is a 2.5mm jack. I'm now curious myself as to why rokr's headphones won't work in a treo. Who's bucking the standard... the Treo or the ROKR? (sigh.. I'll bet I know the answer).
    There really isn't a standard. 2.5 was orginally mono ear with a mic, designed for headsets. When you look at headsets there are differences even there. All of the headphone stereo stuff is really based on the device.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I wasn't aware there was even a standard in place for this type of jack; a jack that serves three purposes:

1.) With a standard 2.5mm mono cellphone headset plugged in it works just like a 2.5mm jack on most other cellphones. This uses three conductors.

2.) With a standard 2.5mm stereo headset plugged in--either directly or via a 3.5mm adapter--it works just like a typical stereo headset. This uses the exact same three conductors as in number 1, above.

3.) With a Treo-specific 2.5mm stereo headset and mic combo plugged in you can both listen to music in stereo as well as talk and listen on the phone. This uses all four of the Treo's 2.5mm jack's conductors.

If there is a "standard" in place to accomplish the above I'd like to know about it.

--
    Mike
    I was assuming that the 2.5mm stereo standard was designed specifically for cellphones, and thus that's why it could handle mono output, stereo output, mic input, and button signals.

And there does have to be a standard. There may not be a 2.5mm standard yet (though I'm still inclined to think there is) but there will be soon. Companies don't want to make a device for a Treo and a 2nd device for a rokr. They just want to make a 2.5mm device. This necessitates a standard.
    Then by all means give a cite of where that standard exists. The Treo predates the ROKR, and the Treo 600 was out well before the 650. If you're claiming there is a standard, and the Treo just doesn't follow it, I'd like to see some supporting citations.

Regardless, it will not help the current situation one iota.

BTW: As I mentioned earlier, my Libretto had a "standard" 2.5mm stereo jack. It worked just like a 3.5mm jack, only smaller. This was back in 1997, well before there were music-playing cellphones.

--
    Mike
  16.    #16  
    Lots of info here. Seems a 2.5 isn't a 2.5, which is what I thought when I purchased these. Considering that I can pull them out one click and make what would be the "correct" connection for stereo on the Palm leads me to believe that they are indeed not the same. I was trying to avoid ordering online mostly because I wanted them today or this weekend, not another week from now. If I can't find something local then online is where I will go.

I was also disuaded by the reports on Seidio stuff on here, and the Palm ones have the kind of earbuds that sit outside the ear. I hate those, they just don't work with my ear shape. They fall out if I move at all. The headset that came with the Palm falls out of my ear right now. The ROKR ones I found were the in ear canal type like my Sony headphones, so that is why I got them. Guess I will keep looking.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative. I originally stated that all 2.5mm jacks are the same. Obviously I was wrong. But that doesn't mean there isn't a standard (R&D and manufacturing realities demand that there is). The question is, does the Treo conform to that standard.

From a little reading, Nokia has bucked the trend and gone with a non-standard 2.5mm jack (google for lots of stories on this). I can't find any info about Palm having a non-standard jack. In fact, this blurb from PalmOne on their compliance with the Federal Rehabilitation act says "The Treo 650 contains a standard 2.5mm jack"

But if the rokr headset doesn't work in the Treo, they're obviously using different jacks. I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Seido designs specifically for the Treo. Maybe they'll read this and pipe in as to what spec (industry or treo-specific) they design their headsets to.
    Forget the wires and jacks....free yourself....Only $250 !

Though can be found all over for under $110

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ntronics_590a/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/16/p_590a_1.png
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/28/2006 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added street price
    I would say the Treo bucked the trend. The Tungsten W uses a 4 conductor 2.5 mm jack that is compatible with the Nokia. It is not Stereo, and uses separate grounds fot the mic and stereo.

I personally use a 3.5 mm jack I installed in my antenna. Anyone willing to use an adapter should use one and get a good pair of 3.5 mm headphones. The jack is easily repaired in case it fails and the insurance offered by Sprint and Verizon is a bargain.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  20.    #20  
    Those are some ugly headphones. I am not walking around wearing that. I am bald, so anything on my head or ears is 10x more obvious. Even a bluetooth headset makes me look like the guy from Star Wars in the city in the sky, with Lando. Remember him?

Can't mod the phone either, it is still under warranty, of course. Guess I am ordering a Palm set, but I am still going to try and look a few places for a better option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast