Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Everyone who calls me say they echo, So i called Cingular and they sent me a new Treo 650 (refurb) so i tried it and the echo was gone. I called a few friends no problem. I was not hearing the echo on my end but the said they heard themself echo. I thought it was their provider , but it was everyone Alltel, sprint , cingular , and even land lines. Well i put all my info ,Software, contacts, and everything back on my phone thru the Sych program where my phone was backedup. now the echo is back , so it must be a software issue. but when i do a hard reset the problem is gone .... Help one know what software might be causing this.
    The very old firmware that was on my 650 when I first got it echoed back into the callers ear, but that was fixed long ago.

Check your firmware version, you might need to update. As for it being a software issue, that really wouldn't make sense as few things would mess with the phone portion except for the volume of the earpiece and sensitivity of the microphone.
    Are you using a headset ?

On a headset, the mic is like an inch away from the speaker.
    On the Treo, ya got about 3 inches.

If your speaker volume is load enough such that the sound travels from the speaker to the mike, then they gonna hear themselves. Try turning the speaker volume down.

I had read on this forum about peeps not being able to hear from September to February when Cingular released theirs and I bought mine so first thing I did was turn volume up to max. Must a been a carrier specific thing caiuse on my Cingular unit, once I turned down the volume, I never had the echo issue again.
    If you have VolumeCare loaded, reduce the MIC volume one or 2 clicks.

Jeff
    Jeff:

While you are here ...

I am quite happy with the phone volumes so I never had need of volume care. However I have a few apps that I would like to try and adjust so I thot I'd give VC Pro a try. Downloaded VC Pro and tried to adjust a few of the offending apps.

Hal9000 is way to low so set that higher
    Thumbscan is way to high so set that lower
    TomTom navigator doesn't appear in the VC app list
    Voice Dial command prompts were just a bit too low

No matter what I set VCP to for VD in the applications list, the volume in VD doesn't change.

Hal and Thumbscan were linked. I set TS all the way low and Hal all the way high. But both took on the properties of whichever I did last. That is if I raised Hal 1st and and lowered TS 2nd, both were low. If I switched, both were high.

And the main purpose of what I garbbed it for....TomTom Navigator, it seems VC doesn't find it.

And one more thing....VCP doesn't seem to grab hold until well after the app is running. Like say I want to try TS, it opens up and blasts the room for about 5 -7 seconds until it seems VCP grabs hold and lowers it.

Suggestions ?
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/29/2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Dyslexic typing
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Jeff:

While you are here ...

I am quite happy with the phone volumes so I never had need of volume care. However I have a few apps that I would like to try and adjust so I thot I'd give VC Pro a try. Downloaded VC Pro and tried to adjust a few of the offending apps.

Hal9000 is way to low so set that higher
    Thumbscan is way to high so set that lower
    TomTom navigator doesn't appear in the VC app list
    Voice Dial command prompts were just a bit too low

No matter what I set VCP to for VD in the applications list, the volume in VD doesn't change.

Hal and Thumbscan were linked. I set TS all the way low and Hal all the way high. But both took on the properties of whichever I did last. That is if I raised Hal 1st and and lowered TS 2nd, both were low. If I switched, both were high.
    There is only one application volume adjustment. All applicaitons that are selected will share the same volume boost level. You still have volume adjustment ability for your different sound types that is located in the Prefs Application. There are 5 different sound types in this application that are each effected by the boost settings from VolumeCare. VolumeCare adjusts the underlying Boost value for application sounds.

And the main purpose of what I garbbed it for....TomTom Navigator, it seems VC doesn't find it.
    TomTom is an issue that I need to fix! They use a "trick" to install their application that I was unaware of until just recently. The workaround for right now, is to turn off application filtering mode in VC when you are running TomTom. This will cause all sounds to be boosted including TomTom. I will have a fix for this very soon.

And one more thing....VCP doesn't seem to grab hold until well after the app is running. Like say I want to try TS, it opens up and blasts the room for about 5 -7 seconds until it seems VCP grabs hold and lowers it.

Suggestions ?
    VolumeCare waits 3 seconds from the start of the application before it adjusts the volumelevel for that application. This gives applications like pTunes time to make their adjustments so VC can un what they did and set the volume you tell it you want.

Jeff
    I've had the same echo and cingular is sending me a refurb phone. When i perform a Hotsync, does my phone back up the 3rd-party software? when i sync the new phone with my PC, will I still have all of the extra software I've purchased?
    1. Yes.

2. Yes.

However, if they are sending you a different model (for instance Insurion on Sprint has been replacing lost or damaged 650s with 700Ps in some isolated cases due to inventory shortages on the older model) you will need to do a clean install.