1.    #1  
    I have aSamsung I330 that I use to hook up my laptop to the internet and am thinking of getting a 650. I need to use the I330 cradle to keep the phone charged while surfing the web.

How does the 650 stay charged under the same scenario? Does this cable on ebay allow you to connect a laptop through the #777 sprint vision AND keep the phone charged through the USB port?

Thanks.

p.s. Is there anyway to use the old Palm graffiti capability (like on the I330) on the 650? i.e. is there any aftermerket programs for grafitti?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    If I'm using DUN, I usually try to keep my charger plugged in. However, the T650 battery life is pretty good anyway.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    USB port provides constant trickle charge to the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany
    I have aSamsung I330 that I use to hook up my laptop to the internet and am thinking of getting a 650. I need to use the I330 cradle to keep the phone charged while surfing the web.

How does the 650 stay charged under the same scenario? Does this cable on ebay allow you to connect a laptop through the #777 sprint vision AND keep the phone charged through the USB port?
    You didn't state which cable from Ebay you were referring to. However, if it is a "sync-and-charge" cable it will charge the Treo via USB. While the standard Treo 650 cable supplies a trickle-charge to the Treo, this is often a very small charge--probably providing less power than the Treo is using while transferring data--and the amount of charge varies greatly (depending upon USB port).

Also, you cannot just tether your laptop to your Treo right out of the box. Without purchasing additional software (I don't think there is a freeware alternative) you won't be able to use the OEM Hotsync cable, or even a sync-and-charge cable, to tether your laptop for 'Net access.

OTOH, you should be able to tether your laptop via Bluetooth--without buying additional software. Indeed I believe you can find an inexpensive USB BT adapter that costs less than the software needed to use a cable (at least the last time I checked). That being said you do get a bit more speed from the cable Vs. Bluetooth (generally).

p.s. Is there anyway to use the old Palm graffiti capability (like on the I330) on the 650? i.e. is there any aftermerket programs for grafitti?
    As mentioned there is the free Graffiti Anywhere, which I found more trouble than it was worth (and I loaded the G1 character set). IIRC, punctuation (or caps?) didn't work right. Perhaps it was just me, but I wasn't able to get GA to work as well as I had on previous Palms.

But there are aftermarket apps that can closely mimic Graffiti. TealScript is one:
    http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm

There is, or was, Jot too. Unfortunately the company that made it--CIC--has gotten out of the Palm market since Spring of last year. I believe there is a place where you can still buy Jot. But of course you will have zero support. (I do have Jot, BTW.)

--
    Mike
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    Also, you cannot just tether your laptop to your Treo right out of the box. Without purchasing additional software (I don't think there is a freeware alternative) you won't be able to use the OEM Hotsync cable, or even a sync-and-charge cable, to tether your laptop for 'Net access.
    Thansk, the link you posted for the synch and charge is a similar one. I'm dissapointed to hear that I won't be able to dial 777# using the combo/phone/laptop as I do on the I330. All I had to do with the I330 was add the modem drivers and add it as a modem. I use it all the time while in airports.

What extra SW do I need? If I get the 650 I want to be prepared to run it with the laptop ASAP.

Thanks again.
    easiest solution is to DUN via bluetooth. XP and OSX both have native bluetooth DUN capability. if ur lappie doesn't have BT, get an USB BT dongle for $20 from Fry's or CompUSA.
    www.bubblespeed.com