I recently got a Cingular Treo 650, and since the 2nd week have been continously frustrated by the phone turning off by itself. I know what you're thinking, it must be another sim tray issue. I got the updated SIM tray, tried the paper behind the sim card thing, but the phone still turns off spontaneously sometimes while I'm using it, sometimes when it's sitting on the table. Not a reset, but just the phone turning off.

I tried doing a hard reset and getting rid of all the 3rd party applications, and it still does it. Cingular sent me a new phone, and with the new phone, it still happens. I'm assuming at this point, there is either something wrong with the SIM card (an old ATT wireless card) or some corrupt file that I can't get rid off by hard resetting.

Called Cingular and spoke to people who were pretty much useless, and they offered to send me a new SIM card, but it would take about a week during which I essentially would be without service. Went to the Cingular store today, and they said they couldn't give me a new SIM card since I had an ATT wireless-programmed phone, but that I could migrate over to cingular and would therefore have to take the entire family plan over, for about twice the monthly rate I pay now. Plus, I don't even know that the SIM card is really the problem, just a hypothesis.

Has anyone had problems like this? Any suggestions for a solution?
    Was this a brand new Treo 650 or did you buy it off ebay?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwy0
    I recently got a Cingular Treo 650, and since the 2nd week have been continously frustrated by the phone turning off by itself. I know what you're thinking, it must be another sim tray issue. I got the updated SIM tray, tried the paper behind the sim card thing, but the phone still turns off spontaneously sometimes while I'm using it, sometimes when it's sitting on the table. Not a reset, but just the phone turning off.

I tried doing a hard reset and getting rid of all the 3rd party applications, and it still does it. Cingular sent me a new phone, and with the new phone, it still happens. I'm assuming at this point, there is either something wrong with the SIM card (an old ATT wireless card) or some corrupt file that I can't get rid off by hard resetting.

Called Cingular and spoke to people who were pretty much useless, and they offered to send me a new SIM card, but it would take about a week during which I essentially would be without service. Went to the Cingular store today, and they said they couldn't give me a new SIM card since I had an ATT wireless-programmed phone, but that I could migrate over to cingular and would therefore have to take the entire family plan over, for about twice the monthly rate I pay now. Plus, I don't even know that the SIM card is really the problem, just a hypothesis.

Actually, it could be the SIM card that needs to be replaced. About a year ago, Cingular released an updated 64KB SIM. You might be using a 32KB SIM, in which case you do not have updated carrier settings for AT&T/Cingular.

One of my colleagues had an older 32KB SIM and was having trouble holding a signal on AT&T towers. When it was upgraded, everything was fixed.

The downside is they will probably cancel your 32KB SIM before the new one ships, due to their system not allowing 2 IDs to be bound to one account.

Good Luck! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    After it crashes what does the error log say (#*377 dial in the phone app)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by rwy0

I had a similar problem, in fact I had to return two TREO 650s (they send you a rehabed phone and a label to send in the defective one) until I got one that only turns off once in a while. My cell phone dealer says that this is a farily common problem. I'd suggest you keep sending the phone back while you're in the one year warranty period until you get one that doesn't turn off too frequently.
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    The error log does not report anything, because it actually isn't resetting. It's just the phone that's shutting off, as if I held the phone off button.
    It was a brand new treo, not bought on ebay.

I think I'm going to go for just getting a new SIM card and being without a phone for a few days. I don't know if I have the patience to keep sending phones back in, but if the new SIM doesn't do the job, I may have to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Actually, it could be the SIM card that needs to be replaced. About a year ago, Cingular released an updated 64KB SIM. You might be using a 32KB SIM, in which case you do not have updated carrier settings for AT&T/Cingular.

One of my colleagues had an older 32KB SIM and was having trouble holding a signal on AT&T towers. When it was upgraded, everything was fixed.

The downside is they will probably cancel your 32KB SIM before the new one ships, due to their system not allowing 2 IDs to be bound to one account.

Good Luck! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    that wont be a problem, u can go right into a Cing store and get a new SIM, i did, my Significant Other did when i went snooping in her phone for phone numbers and she entered the wrong PUK code trying to lock the phone, lockng the SIM. most Cing reps will give you a new one and activate it right there for free.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    With all these problems I keep reading about with NEW Treo 650's I am sure glad I decided to save some $$$ and get the refurb. I have had this about two weeks now and not a single problem with it.

Dave
    Is there an easy way to tell if you have a 32KB SIM or a 64KB SIM??
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmarley
    Is there an easy way to tell if you have a 32KB SIM or a 64KB SIM??
    Bob... my 64K chip says '64K smart chip' on the back side (the side without the contacts).

P.S. Love the music... welcome back..
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    About a year ago, Cingular released an updated 64KB SIM. You might be using a 32KB SIM, in which case you do not have updated carrier settings for AT&T/Cingular.
    I am still using one of the suppossedly "bad" 32 MB SIMs w/o issue. As I recall it was a bad "batch" thing....SOme were good, some were bad. If ya had a problem, you switched to the 64 MB make sure you didn't get another bad one.