Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I want this phone/pda but DO NOT have any need for the verizon data plans. I know I can get may as you go plan.

Can the 650 totally disable data plan access? and if so, can I be 100% confident that I will not have HUGE bills besides the occasional human errors?

I search but I only have 2 days to make a decision because the new every two discount expires tomorrow.

Thanks.
    The 650 is not EV-DO equipped. It can receive / send data just not via EV-DO.

Note that many discounts require you to get both a voice and data plan to qualify for the big rebates. For example, you can get a $200 rebate from TreoCentral leaving you with a purchase price for a verizon 650 of $199.

But the terms of the reabte are:

"For a limited time, receive a $ Voice & Data Rebate when you order service on-line from this website, purchase a Treo and activate a Verizon voice plan $39.99 and higher with a PDA/Smartphone Unlimited feature $34.99 or higher."

Amazon has a $150 rebate which requires only the voice contract.

Otherwise, if it's not a contractual requirement for a rebate, if you don't sign up for a data plan, the service will not be provided to you. where people get hurt is they sign up for a"pay as you go" plan and then start using mail andn web services without tracking their time. Of course if you don't surf the web, collect / send e-mails or use proirams that go online atomatically for updates, then you won't use any data.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    so what your saying is that as long as I don't trigger something to use data I am good. What about some applications that might try on thier own. I guess I am looking for something like a "Turn off Data" button on the phone so I can be assurred that no person or application can accidentally use data.
    You could probably go into the settings ##DATA# and mess up some of the options so it can't even connect
    yes you can disable data
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    But if you disable data you will not be able to send or recieve MMS since it uses the data network. The easiest way to disable the data service though is to set up a dummy network profile and set it to that instead of National Access so it can't log you in.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Not a problem there. Just need phone and pda that syncs with outlook.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Of course if you don't surf the web, collect / send e-mails or use proirams that go online atomatically for updates, then you won't use any data.
    ....and probably don't need a treo
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    ....and probably don't need a treo
    I suppose but I am forgetful and having my calendar synch with my desktop outlook goes a long way. Plus taking my task list and contact list along with me is also very usefull while running the numerous weekend errands. I can't tell you how many times I make a list of 20 things to do on a peice of paper only to leave the house without the piece of paper and end up cursing myself when I realize I forgot it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jranaudo
    so what your saying is that as long as I don't trigger something to use data I am good. What about some applications that might try on thier own. I guess I am looking for something like a "Turn off Data" button on the phone so I can be assurred that no person or application can accidentally use data.
    Before getting MediaNet Unlimited Data Usage at $19.99 /mo, I had pay as you go at $0.01 /KB liste din my features list. Have you checked your account to see if this is listed ? If there is no feature in your feature list that allows them to charge you data, I would imagine they vcan't charge you for it. If it is listed, call and ask to see if it can be removed.