Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any information about when Palm will release the 1.20 update for Mac desktop users?

The Palm website is quite annoying: "The Treo 650 Update is not yet available for Macintosh but should be shortly. Please check back for your update." When should we check back? Daily? Next Week? 2051? What is shortly?

How difficult can it be to create a zip or sit file with the HotSync files instead of a .exe file?

Haven't those guys at Palm been reading the news for the last 5 years. Apple survived its crisis and is back to being an important, trend-setting user base...

Regards
    Peter
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Takes a long time, the Mac updater is still not present.

I am considering using one of the updaters via the SD card. I have no SD card reader, but I do have Missing Sync. With it the SD card in the Treo is mounted on computer, so it is easy to copy stuff to the card.

Normally, you need to copy the installer stuff to the SD card, and next insert the card into the Treo. Using Missing Sync to copy the stuff, the card already is IN the Treo. So, will this cause major trouble? Or is it a matter of taking the card out and putting it in again?

Has anyone updated their Treo using one of the SD card updaters, and used Missing Sync to put it on the SD card?

Obviously I should wait for Palm to make the mac installer but it takes forever
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I too am toying with the idea of using one of the unofficial updaters. My only concern is that, it is goes very wrong, who do I yell at....
    I did it very successfully.
    Back it all up
    Hard reset
    Use a brand new empty, clean SD card
    install the full ROM first
    pick your customized ROM and install over the full one

No problems whatsoever.

Thanks very much jamesgangut!
    worked like a charm
    here is a link to a number of custom ROM's created by jamesgangut that could be used.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...6297#post886297

The links for the 5 Custom ROM's are English Only. The EFIGS has all languages.

Also here are the steps to be followed posted once again by jamesgangut.

1- Backup Treo
    2- Copy Palm folder from archive to root of SD (if palm folder exsists rename)
    3- Hard restet Treo
    4- Plugin power to Treo, insert SD card
    5- Just wait, wait until either the Pick a lang or digitizer screen. Remove SD finish Treo setup.
    6- Remove\rename PALM dirs on SD
    7- Restore data

Once again thanks Jamesgangut for this...

650 GSM Unlocked
    Cingular
  6.    #6  
    Yesterday I took the plunge and did the 1.20 upgrade using the full LAP zip file from Jamesgangut's download site. I grew weary of checking the Palm download site everyday and seeing that "coming soon" for the Mac release.

I followed the instructions exactly and it all went through like clockwork. No hassles.

I chose not to restore anything from the backup because I wanted everything, inlcuding the Prefs files to be clean. Once I set the Prefs and installed MissingSync and BackupMan, I did a "Mac overrides handheld" HotSync for calendar, contacts, tasks and memos. Then I re-installed the 3rd party apps that I can not live without:

DateBk5
    pTunes
    WorldMate
    eReaderPro
    AquaDive (and restored my divelog database from BackupMan)
    TideTool
    FileMan
    TimeCopy
    Expense@Hand

After installing these, I kept testing to see if there were any problems. I have used all the apps during the last 24 hours. No problems so far.

I have not reinstalled other 3rd party apps such as some games, ZLauncher, Beiks. I'll let it run for a week or two in its current state and see what happens.

But, so far so good.

Phone info shows: Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-LAP, Carrier DB: 251

Maybe Palm should hire James....

Regards
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo1
    Use a brand new empty, clean SD card
    install the full ROM first
    pick your customized ROM and install over the full one
    Why do you have to install the full ROM first if you're just going to overwrite it with a customized version? I'm just asking as I haven't updated yet and want to be as informed as possible before trying.

Also, did you restore your files from a backup? If so, how?

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Why do you have to install the full ROM first if you're just going to overwrite it with a customized version?
    Also, did you restore your files from a backup? If so, how?
    Well, I have chosen to stay with the full ROM.

If I have read the preceding threads correctly, it was initially recommended to install the full standard Palm-released update first, followed by a custom ROM for those who need it. This was to get around problems of the firmware number not being updated (the firmware was updated but the old number remained). Later, this problem was resolved in the "non-Palm" version. So, maybe it is no longer required.

For me, the advantages of the "cut-down" customized ROM are not great enough to outweigh the risks. I don't mind having stuff in ROM that I don't use. Since 1.13 I have not had a shortage of memory issue.

I did not restore my files from a backup (except for one data file for the AquaDive program). I wanted to try a clean install approach to minimize bringing across any problems that might have lurked in the older software or Pref files. I reinstalled and registered my 3rd party apps (after checking that I had the latest version) and set them up again.

If I had of wanted to restore anything, I would have brought it back from the BackupMan back-up that I did before I started the upgrade. To be on the safe-side, I also backed up via HotSync/MissingSync and even made a second copy of the entire Palm folder on my hard disk to have alternative options if I needed clean recovery point.

I broke the Custom ROM install guidelines in one way. I only had one one SD card for both the backup and the flash and I did not have any external SD reader so I had to put the upgrade PALM folder onto the SD card using MissingSync and mounting it on the Mac desktop. It nearly caused me a problem because, once I had finished the upgrade, as soon as I put the SD card back in the Treo, with the upgrade PALM folder still on the SD card, the upgrade process started again. I had to instantly hit the "Home" button and jump out of the upgrade process and, using MissingSync, delete the PALM folder on the SD. I suspect that, if I had not done this quickly enough, it might have killed my Treo. Fortunately, it survived.

I would suggest that, you either use an external USB SD reader to put the PALM folder onto the SD card, and/or you use 2 SD cards, one for backup and one for the upgrade.

Regards
    Peter
    I just wrote Palm support, to find out whether/when they plan to release the Mac version. Here is the oxymoronic reply I got:
    "As of the moment, we have no information to the release date of the 1.20 Mac installer version, nor can we provide a time frame. However, as stated in our website, it should be coming shortly. I may advice you to keep posted in our Palm Support website."
    Again: "No time frame, but it will be available shortly." Can you believe? Sounds like an Abbott and Costello routine. Inspires confidence.... NOT.
    I too have lost patience. Can someone direct me to jamesgangut's download site? Thanks.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    Well, I have chosen to stay with the full ROM.
    I changed my mind...

After a couple of weeks of problem-free running with the full 1.20 LAP version from jamesgangut, I decided to have a go at the stripped version. That has now been running for 2 or 3 weeks without the slightest problem.

Palm's attitude to Mac users is very annoying and will certainly be a negative factor in my next smart phone purchase decision.

But, for now, since the jamesgangut 1.20 LAP update, my Treo 650 is behaving much better than before.

Regards
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnygump
    I too have lost patience. Can someone direct me to jamesgangut's download site? Thanks.
    My sentiments exactly.

I took the plunge and used the new Jugg special, FAT stripped down ROM. It's running nicely and I really like the new fast Blazer

Thanks to all those who have contributed to the ROM innovations and extending them to use Mac-folk.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have an iMac G5 and a Windows laptop. I became sick of waiting, so I did the update on my Windows machine. The update went smoothly --- no issues as of yet.
    So what exactly is it that Palm have against Mac owners? Clearly they seem to be trying to send us a message that we are not welcome as Palm owners. The delay so far is well over a month since the update arrived for Windows users, and there just can't be any technical reason for not producing an updater for the Mac in that time. I am very wary of using the SD card approach because of problems I have heard of with not all parts of the update being applied if you use this approach, and besides I just don't see why I should have to go through this amount of hassle to apply an update. Palm's behaviour here is quite disgraceful, and pretty much removes any lingering sense that I had of them being not Mac-unfriendly, which is why I stuck with Palm rather than investigate Windows Mobile based devices. Now that I have shifted in this view I know that I will be looking at Windows Mobile devices next time I update - and it's unlikely that the WM device I will be looking at will be a Treo!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    When Windows Vista is finally available, I may go back to a Windows PC. After 6 months of owning an iMac G5, the power supply conked out, and I'm tired of running into applications that are "not Mac supported."
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    When Windows Vista is finally available, I may go back to a Windows PC. After 6 months of owning an iMac G5, the power supply conked out, and I'm tired of running into applications that are "not Mac supported."
    You're going to go back to PC because you're power supply conked out? I guess PC hardware never goes t*ts up. Did you try calling Apple? They would have replaced it, no charge. And sorry, I don't buy that old argument that you can't find applications for the Mac. That doesn't wash anymore. Have you been in an Apple store? Have you looked online? Check out http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ There's loads of Mac software available. Oh, and at least Apple doesn't release SIX freaking versions of its OS. Sheesh.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalEarth
    You're going to go back to PC because you're power supply conked out? I guess PC hardware never goes t*ts up. Did you try calling Apple? They would have replaced it, no charge. And sorry, I don't buy that old argument that you can't find applications for the Mac. That doesn't wash anymore. Have you been in an Apple store? Have you looked online? Check out http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ There's loads of Mac software available. Oh, and at least Apple doesn't release SIX freaking versions of its OS. Sheesh.
    I apologize for all of my shortcomings.
    Yes, I'm convinced that Palm doesn't care about the Mac anyone. They could at least release the .prc files in a zip with instructions on how to manually do this! With the advent of the 700w I'm really wondering what the future will hold from them. I'm actually trying out a 700w and it has some nice features but some significant limitations for me so I'll probably return it.

I eventually used a PC at work to upgrade the firmware on my 650. It's a nice improvement for me, the bluetooth link with my car now shows the signal strength instead of put a connection icon.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I apologize for all of my shortcomings.
    Sorry, didn't mean to slam you so hard. One of those days. You're forgiven for all you're shortcomings. :-):-):-)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalEarth
    Sorry, didn't mean to slam you so hard. One of those days. You're forgiven for all you're shortcomings. :-):-):-)
    I actually brought my iMac in for repair today. Should be back in a few days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast