Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    It's incredible to me how personal some people are taking Palm's decision to use WM. They are a business. Since when do big businesses care about people? All they care about is money.

Is Palm (the HARDWARE manufacturer) responsible for the PalmOS not having the capabilities you have deemed are absolutely required to run a current smartphone? I would think they are somewhat restricted by what they have to work with from PamlSource (Access). So....did Palm really "let us all down" or did PalmSource drop the ball?

Is the PalmOS capable of running on a current smartphone? Well....it does, doesn't it?

If you ask me, all these questions depend on your requirements. For example, many folks here cry about limited multimedia functionality. Is that REALLY a requirement of a smartphone? Sure, it makes for a cool device, but is it a requirement? For a corporate customer (a BIG target market for Palm)?

Again, the answer is still perspective. I think the 650 is an incredible device. I consider it a "current smartphone" whether you do or not. Is either of us wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. From my perspective, it meets my current needs better than any alternative devices available today. And though the 700w is not for me, I'm sure many corporate folks are drooling over it as we speak. For many users, both devices are more than good enough.

Ok, i'm think i'm done rambling for now...
    You're probably right, but I still take it as a slap in the face to Palm OS users(even though I've been cheating ). When I want an MSFT phone, I get an I-Mate, Qtek or HP. Palm is our last hope for a Palm OS phone since everyone else dumped the Palm OS for guess who, MSFT!!

Certainly the 650 is still very usable and at the top of my list. But it's time for updates to both the hardware and the OS. Looking at what's out now, the 650 is getting a little outdated(but I will still use it). Since they took a detour over to MSFT, how long do we have to wait? Rumors all over for the 700p and Hollywood, NO official statements or leaks. Except from Shadowmite, that gives me hope. But that still doesn't tell when we can actually get a list of specs or look at preliminary designs.

In the meantime MSFT users have choice all over the board. While I was out galavanting, I looked at all the MSFT choices and WM phone users have a field day! What do Palm phone users get, ONE device choice, a year and a half old! And Palm threw in yet ANOTHER, like they needed anymore! And if you're not like me, willing to fool around with WM gadgets, aren't you tired of waiting for the updated Palm OS Treo while WM users get everything they ask for and more?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    A suggestion: there should be a "Stable 650" that gets shipped with a certain number of applications that will satisfy 80 or 90% of the people that is virtually bulletproof. You are warned not to add programs, and any updates are performed through a centralized place that has done extensive checking and debugging. It would give you email, surf, Word and Excel, etc., etc. But all its applications will have been checked to make sure they play well together. Who would do this? It could even be a reader of this forum. Then when you post you would specify "I have a Stable 650." People would know not to suggest Butler, etc.

Then there should be an "Open OS Beta 650" which is the 650 as it is today. Butler, brain surgery, resets, all the fun stuff that losers with no life crave in this forum, but that will doom the 650 to the not ready for prime time netherworld, where it is going quickly. As is, the 650 is basically a nerd's hobby. When my Treo resets I see it as an opportunity to learn. My wife would freak out and start yelling.
    For my use the 650 is the best device period. No doubt this will be short lived. The WM5 experience will improve. I think that true multi-tasking would be great but for now I get more than I need. Just a bit ago, for entertainment purposes, I was watching MobiTV with the volume down and listening to an internet radio station using Pocket Tunes. I can surf with Blazer and still get emails with Chatter. I purchased mine the first day they were available through Sprint. My first one was crap even after firmware updates. I had it replaced in September with Rev. B and haven't had many problems. I will eventually use a MS device. Most folks will too. For now I don't think there is anything better.
    Call me noob if you like, but being new to the T650, not new to Palm though, I find that what this phone does is nothing short of amazing. I remember carrying a Dell and a phone and being tired of that. Having very few apps or features and when I compare this to the I500 I've been lugging around it's like night and day. This phone may have been out for awhile, but to me it's a masterpiece. Now as many have said things can always be improved upon, but multitasking seems like it would be for situational use. The same people that were screaming for Wireless now wanted Bluetooth. It's a never ending never satisfied scenario.

Though WiFi would be great, this phone is awesome. It can handle everything that I need and more in a tight package. Many are lauding the ugly new phone that came out for Sprint and Qwest, PPC 6700 I believe is the name, yes it has Wifi, but there will be some shortcomings there as well. I for one endorese this phone and I will enjoy it for the next few years. Remember to take stock in what you have and not be in the frame of mind that you can't enjoy the present for looking at the future.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12