Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello new 650 user here,

I would like some advice on a security program for my Treo 650.
    I did a system search but had limited results.

I have been looking at mSafe & Warden.

Warden has a great feature in that it displays owner info with a button to allow a call to an emergency number, owners telephone number as well as an ICE info button. However I don't know how reliable the security portion is and I'm a little confused about having to register the phone with their website thru an sms sent to my phone to activate. Can someone who is using this app explain why/how that works? I prefer to not disclose and have any info on their servers. here is a link to the user manual on their site:
    http://www.corsoft.com/download.asp

mSafe look real good too with a sms kill function, card protection and the ability to stay locked after a reset.
    http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafe

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by *Gunslinger*; 01/27/2006 at 07:09 PM.
    I don't know about those programs, but what I currently have are the following:

Butler (provides remote lock and/or delete via sms, plus a lot of other functions)
    SpashID (encrypted wallet, the only way to safely store very important information like bank records, login Id's and passwords, account numbers etc..)

When the treo is locked and you have entered your owner information into the pref's owner section, then that information will be shown to whom ever recovers the phone. This functionality costs nothing as it is built into the phone. A locked palm device is not very secure, and will only deter the casual finder, not a criminal after your information. That is why you should use a encrypted safe (like SplashID or others including free ones) and or a remote locker that includes the option to delete the device and SD card in the device (like butler).
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've used both mSafe and Warden. One major difference between the two is that mSafe lets you send a lock or destruct code via SMS; with Warden you send the code via the web.
    I use mSafe but cannot compare to Warden.

mSafe was easy to set up and it preformed the requested lock and wipe functions when I tested the SMS feature.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I use mSafe but cannot compare to Warden.

mSafe was easy to set up and it preformed the requested lock and wipe functions when I tested the SMS feature.

Cheers, Perry

ditto, except for the typo
  6.    #6  
    OK were getting somewhere looks like so far its mSafe.

D-Caf Yes,I have had splashid since my IIIC great program & I too wouldn't be without it.

Badler, Your post popped up on my search, thats where I found about Warden in the first place. I glad your here.

Badler or anyone using Warden, Whats the deal with the initial install/setup where Warden will not continue the install process unless you have the wireless connection on??
    It logs your phone type & Carrier any idea why?
    Does it send that info back to their server??

Heres another question can you remote protect your unit thru a normal sms like mSafe does?? I ask that because in the Warden manual they say you can manage the app without going thru their website but you must send "Clear Text Message" is this a fancy way of just saying sms or what??
    I tried the latest version of M-safe, after getting it all set up on a clean Treo with no hacks or custom ROM's etc, I tested it by sending the lock code. The Treo did lock, however, after unlocking it, the Treo became unstable and kept resetting. I had to wipe it clean and start all over. I decided against m-safe based on that test.
    I stopped using mSafe because of frequent resets. After about 3 weeks or so of resets I uninstalled mSafe and my phone is stable again...

YMMV
    TS
    I had some instability issues with mSafe 3.0 and 3.5 betas, but after 3.5 prod it's been very stable for me (Sprint/cdma) for the last 7-8 months or so. I've seen others that had mSafe reset issues as well, but I've never been able to figure out why we've had different experiences. Could easily be apps conflicting with each other as I suspect the SMS interception and parsing may be a little tricky in PalmOS.

FWIW, I'm using DataViz PasswordsPlus for the encrypted safe. It's also easy to use and at the time I was evaluating, was the only one I saw with a PC-side editor (which makes things much easier). I find myself using it for all sorts of misc info - not just stuff which needs to be secured.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Actually, I consider myself lucky if one security program works on my Treo 650. I've come to the conclusion that whether or not a security program works the way it should on any particular Treo has a lot to do with what other programs are installed possibly who your cell carrier is.

I don't remember the Warden installation process well enough to be able to answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by *Gunslinger*
    OK were getting somewhere looks like so far its mSafe.

D-Caf Yes,I have had splashid since my IIIC great program & I too wouldn't be without it.

Badler, Your post popped up on my search, thats where I found about Warden in the first place. I glad your here.

Badler or anyone using Warden, Whats the deal with the initial install/setup where Warden will not continue the install process unless you have the wireless connection on??
    It logs your phone type & Carrier any idea why?
    Does it send that info back to their server??

Heres another question can you remote protect your unit thru a normal sms like mSafe does?? I ask that because in the Warden manual they say you can manage the app without going thru their website but you must send "Clear Text Message" is this a fancy way of just saying sms or what??
  11.    #11  
    Huh, it seems that security programs are very temperamental on the Treo. badler tomvb2000 & a person from another board pretty much summed it up, What will work with "Your" Treo...

I had an email into support @ Warden and they replied right away w/answers to my questions in detail, its good to know someones manning the ship.
    Sooo I will give Warden the first shot & hopefully it will be a reset free weekend. I will post back my results.
  12.    #12  
    Hello, I installed Warden yesterday & it has been running great so far.

I Really like the Lock Screen should someone find your lost Treo all your contact info is right there for the finder to contact the owner.
    The ICE (in case of emergency) button is nice but there should be a spot to enter if the device owner has a medical problem. Warden does allow for multiple contacts to be notified and I suppose instead of putting a contacts name I could enter a medical condition on that field.

The program locks automatically when it should, allows for calendar alarms to happen, my voice mail alerts came thru fine, and the phone side had no problems making or receiving calls.

A few things I noticed,
    it takes longer for the phone to power on & off.

BackupBuddy wasn't allowed to do its scheduled 1am backup. I tested scheduled times several times with the same results. To work around this I set Backupbuddy to Back up after each hotsync.

There is a bug under configuration>Lock Criteria.
    I am frequently out of network due to my living out in the boonies so I unticked the lock "By Network Outage" I noticed no matter how many times I toggle off that option off Warden reactivates it. This may be due to the program not being registered yet but I doubt it.

I haven't tested the remote lock yet because Warden won't allow it until you register the program.

I do not see an option to destroy data on the card!
    Page 16 of their pdf manual on their website states, Note: "An option exists to clear data on the device and/or the SD Card Slot on device.
    I cannot find this option.

That being said the local lock looks pretty dam good w/no conflicts or resets so far, however I need to register warden to test the remote data destroy feature. I am especially interested to see if their claim that remote lock & destroy data will in fact allow the Warden program to survive & present the Lock screen with the owner info. Thats a great feature if it works.
    I will post back my results.
    None of these apps encrypt data. I use mLock together with PdaDefensePro www.pdadefense.com, now SureWave Mobile Defense Professional Edition. Looks like Good Tech purchased SureWave. However I use this app since my Palm V and now at the Treo 650. It has the ability of encrypting user selectable databases such as Contacts using Blowfish or AES symetric algorithms from 64 bit, 128, 256 and 512 bit key sizes. Also user selectable are the rules to wipe memory either by entering a x number of times the wrong password or hotsync. Device is locked also by a sectable number of minutes or hours or by just turning it off. If one has data that does not want to fall in the wrong hands, better go with data encryption. It is pretty easy to retrieve deleted data. If the data is encrypted with a good password and hard encryption, it is impossible to retrieve it.
    It also gives the possibility of using the phone while the user is locked out of the Treo. This is great specially when one receives a call while the phone is locked or needs to make an emergency call (to any number) while the device is locked.
    Looks like Warden would lock also the phone radio when activated. I will try it just for this feature to complement what I have. I would only use this feature when locking the Treo remotely. Never when is close to me; too dangerous and not practical not being able to access the phone radio specially on stressful situations.
    mLock suplies the alternative to lock or wipe the Treo remotely.
  14.    #14  
    BrazilNuts Yea.. I used PDA Defense on my 6035 way back when, they have been around a long while. I found that waiting for it to decrypt my program was sometimes frustrating but it was very secure. I still have it on a IIIC thats now retired except for playing a little bejeweled every now & then.

Now I am encrypting just to my card backup via BackupBuddy.

You said "It is pretty easy to retrieve deleted data" hmmm. how easy is it?Are there are programs to retrieve erased palm data??
    Would anyone know how this might be possible?

If its that easy maybe I'm gonna have to look into an encryption program for the device data.
    Cheers Gunslinger. The upgrade for Pda Defense version that is compatible with the Treo is free for registered users at the www.jpmobile.com site (the shortcut is also at the www.pdadefense.com site. Maybe you should give it a try. With the 312MHZ Intel Xcale processor, you will sure see a lot of difference from the IIIc. Decrypting is almost instantenous even with a very large contact base like mine with 3000+ records.
    There is software/hardware to retrieve data from all kinds of devices. There are password crackers and all sorts of software and devices to recover data from flash memory and even computer RAM.
    Please make a search on "recover deleted data palm", you will get your answer.
    It all depends on the willingness and interest of the person that wants to retrieve it. For a casual user, this would not be a problem, and the included palm security which just masks data would suffice. If you don't carry bank account numbers, pins or other personal or corporate sensitive data on your palm, then, why worry?
    Identity theft is a big threat nowadays though. Then better safe than sorry, right?
  16.    #16  
    hey Brazilnuts,
    I agree identity theft is a huge issue you cannot be too careful. Looks like I'm gonna have to add device encryption to the list. All well its always fun to fool with a new app. I will check out pdadefense's latest version for the encryption.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilNuts
    None of these apps encrypt data. I use mLock together with PdaDefensePro www.pdadefense.com,... It has the ability of encrypting user selectable databases such as Contacts using Blowfish or AES symetric algorithms from 64 bit, 128, 256 and 512 bit key sizes. ...
    I really wish I could encrypt my Calendar and Contacts, but I have several years worth of calendar items and 2700+ contacts. It just takes too damn long to decrypt them with anything I've tried, including Teal Lock. The thing becomes unusable for daily use.

If anyone knows an encryption program that uses the Treo processor more efficiently, or allows selective encryption (say, encrypt only Private items), I'd really like to know.
    So I just checked into the successor to PDA Defense and found this answer in the FAQ. Does anyone here know different?
    http://www.pdadefense.com/faq.asp

Is PDA Defense (SureWave Mobile Defense) supported on the Verizon Wireless Treo 650?

No, it is not fully supported. We do not support memory card encryption on this device. As such, you will need to install using the individual installer files making sure to exclude the following files: "PDAGuard.prc" and "PDADefenseCardLib.prc".
    Any new updates on the usability of Warden? I am curious how much overhead it uses (I know that is not the right term for Palm OS - but you know what I mean). Also, whether the Treo is stable after the lock in engaged (wasn't with msafe).
    i loaded mSafe and although it works with the reset. it doesn't seem to actually lock my treo when sent the sms, but it does respond back that the lock is engaged.

Also, my treo now has random resets and I know from reading these posts prior to installing that it is msafe that's causing the resets. Uggh? I know Palm's model is a basic device and you buy what you need, but there just needs to be some things coming standard these days.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast