1.    #1  
    I have a new Treo 650 and am having trouble getting ActiveSync to connect. I am using Mergic VPN to tunnel into our network and using VersaMail to try to connect to our Exchange Server via ActiveSync. I'm getting the following error both when trying to "Test" my account setup and when trying to retrieve my messages:

AirSAMStateMachine.c 453 4628

I have verified that I can ping the exchange server when my VPN is connected, and I have also verified that IIS is recieving requests from the Treo, however its not entirely clear whether it is succeeding.

Here is more relevant information about my setup:
    Carrier: Cingular
    Firmware: 01.51
    Software: Treo650-1.17-CNG
    VersaMail v 3.1C.
    Mergic VPN: 1.1b

I'm not using SSL on the server or the client. I'm pretty sure I have all the authentication setup properly based on all the stuff I've been reading about ActiveSync. I've been struggling with this for about a week and I'm starting to pull my hair out. The error message on the Treo is just about useless. Does anyone know what that error means?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
  2.    #2  
    It turns out that this was a problem being caused by my VPN connection. I opened up Port 80 on the firewall to our mail server temporarily and everything started working.

So its either a problem with Mergic VPN, a problem with Versamail over VPN, or its a problem with our VPN configuration on the VPN server itself.