1.    #1  
    I use the Treo 650 contacts ap. I have 4 categories. I find the search method to be inconsistant. If I choose a particular category and enter the first letter of my wife's name, she shows up. I don't even have to enter the last name letter to get that far. But if I choose 'all' categories, she doesn't show up at all but many others do. What's up?
    I find this search method very limiting. Sometimes I only have a first name in the listing or just a company and no name.
    Are there better ways to search this ap?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Try Takephone.
    Searching under "All" should work. I would suggest deleting her record and recreating it to see if that cures the problem. (Or create a test record for her that is slightly different and see if that one pops up as you do the search.)

Also -- you can search for last name or first name -- just keep keying letters of that first or last name until the entry you desire appears in the results screen.

Let's say your wife's name is Jill Mill.

Under the one category -- she was the only "J" and popped up.

Under "All" -- there may be many first and/or last names that begin with "J" and you did not see her entry immediately. If you keyed in an "i", I bet you would see it. By keying in the first letter of the last name -- the search was now looking for a first or last name that begins with Jm -- and you probably do not have any of those.

So -- choose a first or last name to look for and keep keying letters until their entry pops up on the search screen -- You should not have to do more than three letters, depending on the size of your contact list.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/26/2006 at 11:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    You can also search by initials. I find that works faster than typing letters of someone's first name.
    Yes, that does work. Why did it not work for you?

Now I am back to deleting her record and re-entering it, as it may be corrupted.
  6.    #6  
    Here's a variation on my issues...
    I have maybe 20 or 30 people I sometimes call on to hire. They are all independant contractors. I've put them into one category and gave them all the same 'company' name so I can scroll the list of names and pick one to call. When I try to search just for the company name, I don't get the results, instead I get somebody else with a last name similar to the company name.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    If you put a name on the contact it won't search be company name. You can however press alt and the little magnifier icon on the bottom left of the keyboard and search for the company name that way. If that won't do you can enter the company name in the first or last name field or go with a third party product.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Try Takephone
    Quote Originally Posted by xort
    Here's a variation on my issues...
    I have maybe 20 or 30 people I sometimes call on to hire. They are all independant contractors. I've put them into one category and gave them all the same 'company' name so I can scroll the list of names and pick one to call. When I try to search just for the company name, I don't get the results, instead I get somebody else with a last name similar to the company name.
    Contacts / Menu / Options / Preferences
    Switch to Comapny, last name
  10.    #10  
    My preferences are set to company but it still wants to search by name.

Pressing alt gets me an info message, not the magnifier solution. I want to keep first & last names plus a company name.

Hoping to avoid aftermarket solutions.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    The Treo doesn't search by company unless you use find. Try Takephone. You'll be glad you did. You can search by first, last, and company name. It's well worth it.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Sorry bad info. Don't press alt press the black key on the bottom left then the magnifier button. I have no idea what the button is called, but it's the one that changes keypad to numbers and punctuation.
    Quote Originally Posted by funsnail
    Sorry bad info. Don't press alt press the black key on the bottom left then the magnifier button. I have no idea what the button is called, but it's the one that changes keypad to numbers and punctuation.
    That is Option/Left shift, & is the good old 'Find' button. I do think the best answer to xort's question would be: Install 'FindHack'.

14.    #14  
    funsnail
    your second suggestion works.
    Thanks, I'll use that.
    Appreciate your efforts...