1.    #1  
    After 3 failed Custom ROM flashes with the new 1.20 ROM update I figured VolumeCare caused all the problems.

My first stripped 1.71 update as it was went on smoothly no problems.

Then I customised the ROM and soon after the flash a resest loop. Gosh! I was initially panicked about a bricked Treo though I new I couldn't have a done it wrongly. After few failed attemts I was managed to do a warm reset to break the loop. Everything looked ok for few seconds with the Phone app in front then going to the launcher brought Treo back to the reset loop again.

I was little relieved. Did a warm reset again.

I looked at my newly added programs and there were only two new ones than my previous 1.28 upgrade. BTToggle and VolumeCare. First I thought it could be BTToggle, then I remember VC resets your Treo everytime when you HotSync it. I looked at the app attributes of VC with FileZ, bingo, "Reset After Ins" Unchecked it saved, made a new custom rom and flashed again.

Treo looked OK after the update in the phone app and then few seconds it survived with the Launche screen. There you go again loop reset. Warm reset, in the phone app, mapped a favourite to VC, ran it, disabled VC and went to launcher again. Boy, few seconds Treo was crashing again even with VC disabled. I checked #377 and VC was the problem. Then I figured it's VC's licensing problem caused the reset. Because I havent set a HotSyncID so couldn't register it yet. Warm reset looked OK I could manage somewhat in the lancher but soon after I did a normal reset it kept triggering a loop.

So eliminate VC altogether in my next custom ROM and my baby is back on track. Everything looks faster, cooler, newer, louder and fine.

Hotsynced and now using it for three days, It sounds better, no body has complaing about low volume/ mic issue yet, without VC it sounds OK, much louder than 1.28 release. The way Treo should be released by Palm at the very first place.

I saw Jeff's s VC graph so again I installed VC, since I have already brought it and now it's there. I dont see a much different with it or without it. Treo is deffinitely lot louder now than the 1.28 update.

Anyway I still love VC's volume graph, the way it saves volume levels, Jeff an so on, Hence I installed to the RAM registered. No probs so far.

So folks avoid VC in custom ROM it will saves you from lot of trouble.

Cheers and happy Treoing....

R
    Chan
    Had you seen this thread?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...light=apps+rom
    (note post #75)
    I guess we will have to go back and update it for 1.20
    I tend to avoid programs that have a history of many updates anyway.
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    VolumeCare has never been QA'ed to run in ROM so all bets are off if you choose to build your own ROM image that includes VC in ROM. I can tell you that future builds of VC will not require the reset. This is a legacy requirement that is no longer needed based on some of the programming changes I have made int he most recent Beta 5.21.6 build.

Jeff
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    VolumeCare has never been QA'ed to run in ROM so all bets are off if you choose to build your own ROM image that includes VC in ROM. I can tell you that future builds of VC will not require the reset. This is a legacy requirement that is no longer needed based on some of the programming changes I have made int he most recent Beta 5.21.6 build.

Jeff
    Good Jeff,

That would be cool. Other than the reset on install also it might have some issue in the licensing scheme if you use a device without a HotSync ID, I guess then VC causes problems when much ain't running in the background in a warm reset status even (?).

That's what I was doing in the next round. I coudn't possibly set a ID or hotsync it untill I was happy with the ROM update and then restore things properly. Other programs didn't behave like that, even CardExport which require a reset to install stays ok in a device which is not yet have a ID or synced. It require a reset when you I run it and says "Register" in a formal way untill I do so.

Please look for these matters, Since VC always run in the background and takes up DBcache many people might like to add it to the custom ROM and will save some memory in the device RAM.

Also avoid any frequent updates in the process unless bugfixes come around. Considering that the Treo 650 is now what it should be have come out of the box, finally after two major ROM fixes from palm. I still like if they did add the FAT32 support drivers so we could use bigger SD crads.

Cheers!

R
    Chan
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    When building my new ROM i took the opportunity to update the apps that I place in ROM. VC 4.44 was in the old 1.13ROW and working fine for me, it still works in the new ROM. It was when I tried to place the newest VC into the 1.20 ROM that I had the neverending reset. I don't have the time or the paitence to build a 1.13ROW with the newest VC for further testing, sorry. :-)
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd
    When building my new ROM i took the opportunity to update the apps that I place in ROM. VC 4.44 was in the old 1.13ROW and working fine for me, it still works in the new ROM. It was when I tried to place the newest VC into the 1.20 ROM that I had the neverending reset. I don't have the time or the paitence to build a 1.13ROW with the newest VC for further testing, sorry. :-)
    I think the problem might be that I am now protecting the application with memory and database locking to maintain more reliability in NVFS. These techniques may be causing issues when loaded in ROM. Don't know and this is an environment that VolumeCaree was never tested in since a modified Palm ROM not a supported operating system implementation on the Treo's. I understand and appreciate why some elect to make and load these ROM's but VolumeCare really should be run from RAM.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandana
    Good Jeff,

That would be cool. Other than the reset on install also it might have some issue in the licensing scheme if you use a device without a HotSync ID, I guess then VC causes problems when much ain't running in the background in a warm reset status even (?).

That's what I was doing in the next round. I coudn't possibly set a ID or hotsync it untill I was happy with the ROM update and then restore things properly. Other programs didn't behave like that, even CardExport which require a reset to install stays ok in a device which is not yet have a ID or synced. It require a reset when you I run it and says "Register" in a formal way untill I do so.

Please look for these matters, Since VC always run in the background and takes up DBcache many people might like to add it to the custom ROM and will save some memory in the device RAM.

Also avoid any frequent updates in the process unless bugfixes come around. Considering that the Treo 650 is now what it should be have come out of the box, finally after two major ROM fixes from palm. I still like if they did add the FAT32 support drivers so we could use bigger SD crads.

Cheers!

R
    Chan
    I use many licensing techniques. VolumeCare does not care if it finds an empty HotSync ID. I mainly use the HSSN to create new and replacement ID's when possible. Much more reliable since it does not rely on case sensititivity and loss of the unsaved preferences file.

Please see the above post as I do not plan to support VolumeCare running in ROM. I want to stay with supporting supported Palm operating system ROM's. If Palm approaches me and requests VolumeCare to run in a future ROM image, I will absolutely put the effort into making sure VolumeCare can run in ROM. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/wink.gif

Jeff