Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gsupp
    Am I the only one concerned with putting a 3rd party $40 battery into a $600 phone? Many (including myself) have been burned by trying 3rd party batteries in cellphones, only to find they either don't perform well, overheat, leak, etc. Anyone with a 2400mah battery care to write your experiences (including how long you've had it?)
    I have had the 2200mAh from Lion Battery for 8 months now with excellent service and no problems. . . . . . . . . . . I believe the 2400mAh from Seidio has only been out for a month . . . . . . so you will not get much info on how trouble free it has been over the long haul yet.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    You might win eventually, but I'm sure they're going to expend quite a bit of money contesting jurisdiction before they even get to the matter at hand.
    Well I buy everything with Amex and they have always fought all my battles for me. I ahd a $5k commercial refrigerator damaged on delivery and as demanding saitisfaction which I expected would be a an $500 off offer. Instead they delivered a brand new $5,700 refrigerator and left the old one here.

As for the money....it's usually just not worth the companies labor costs in answering the summons. I fought Blizzard and got my son's $60 refunded....to 3 exchanges of letters but they musta figured it wasn't worth their staff tiem an dcosts for legal fees.
    This on the go package looks incredible: http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=261

For $55, you get:
    1. 2400mAh extended life battery
    2. Inno.Charger (silver)
    3. USB to USB 1.1 Cable
    4. USB Travel Adaptor

I recently bought a 2200mah like others here, but since I have been contemplating getting a desktop charger to carry to work, along with another travel adapter (I keep my other one in the bedroom so my Treo charges while I sleep; can't hear the Treo ring if it's on my charger in the office), this looks like a great deal for me. I'm going to order it sometime today.

I'll sell my OEM battery to my boss for $20 (just got it in December and barely use it).
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    On the boards we have all talked about what we are running in the background and we have all talked about battery life, I am just curious what apps are people running in the background and what kind of average battery life and use to people have through out the day.

I have Chatter running constantly, I also have Verichat running in the background. I do somewhere in the area of 300 text through out the day as well as maybe 45 to 60 minutes of browsing through out my day. I read ebooks on my phone and sometimes I read maybe close to 2 hours. I can get about 6 hours of use from my Treo before I have to plug it in for an hour. This is about average for me.

My girlfriend on the other hand uses Verizon's Wireless Sync to get her email and does maybe about 300 text messages a day as well and when she gets home she is usually around 30% of battery left, and this is in the span of around 10 hours, I wish I could the kind of battery life she did. So anyway the point of the thread, what does everyone else get and what does everyone else do and use their Treo for? I look forward to comparing uses with everyone.
    Hi Iramike!

You have detailed 6 hours of use before needing to plug in. That is normal -- the Treo is rated for 5-6 hours of talk time, which usually has the screen turned off. So you are doing very well.

I would say, by the percentages - she has her's "on" (in use) 2 hours less than you.

Cheers, Perry.

If you are considering a second battery:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...48&postcount=8
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I was thinking about getting that new extended battery. I am very leary of after market accessories but I think Seido is reputable. Its nice to know that I am getting what I should get out of my Treo, thats always the biggest challenge is to get out of a product what it was designed for. I must say that I also believe in the 700p, and I am waiting just not patiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I was thinking about getting that new extended battery. I am very leary of after market accessories but I think Seido is reputable. Its nice to know that I am getting what I should get out of my Treo, thats always the biggest challenge is to get out of a product what it was designed for. I must say that I also believe in the 700p, and I am waiting just not patiently.

I have had a Lion Battery 2200 mAh for 8 months with no worrys. Seidio also has a good reputation.

Cheers, Perry.
    I cannot believe the whining over the batteries. This is technology. It changes rapidly.
    So far I've noticed a definite increase of usage time. The battery has performed remarkably well. My only complaint is that the USB wall charger is a much slower to charge than a regular charger. But it is convenient. I'd never hook it up to my $2000 laptop to charge though. Through the wall is just fine with me.
    Good grief man, what do you do? Work for the city government? I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of spare time.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    So now that many of you have used the Seidio Extended life batter for some time, would you definitely recomend it? Does it significantly increase the battery life of the 700? I have been looking into getting one but I want some expert user opinion on this.

Thanks so much
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The battery life is pretty good to begin with, but the Seidio does improve the life. I think it's worth it if you want to go longer without recharges. If you just put it on the charger every night anyway there really isn't a need, the standard battery lasts long enough in most cases.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I've been using the battery for about 2 weeks. Frankly, I don't notice a difference.
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by blile
    So now that many of you have used the Seidio Extended life batter for some time, would you definitely recomend it? Does it significantly increase the battery life of the 700? I have been looking into getting one but I want some expert user opinion on this.

Thanks so much
    I'd recommend it. I can't give you any 700 feedback, however, but I imagine the increase in battery life is probably comparable. The 650 and 700 use the same battery, after all. At first I didn't notice any difference when using the Seidio 2400 battery, but when I get down to around 30 - 40% life remaining, it seems to really dig in and becomes VERY hard to kill off. I have 1 push IMAP email account online with Chatter, and Verichat running in the background via SMS(so there's no battery drain there). I'm a pretty heavy Treo junkie, and I only NEED to charge after between 12 and 20 hours of use. Of course, I also spend only about 20 minutes a day actually on the phone...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    will the 2400 battery for the 700p fit the 755p?
    I love my Seidio 2400mAh battery--though I fear it's loosing its juice and charging power. As I write this, I'm charging my Seidio 2400mAh battery in the Seidio egg-shaped battery charger for the first time in a long time. (I normally use the Palm cradle/battery charger.) Maybe that will fix it?!

I use a T650 with Sprint and never use Bluetooth. Since I've used it, I could go a whole day--and then some--before re-charging it. I've had it for about 1.5 years now and just recently it has been draining rapidly-or the appearance of draining.

I've tried soft resets (mReset), reset buttons, pulling out the battery and plugging it back in, but it still shows its lower charge level. Even charging it full charge overnight doesn't even work.

In some cases, the battery will be at 95% then switch to about 50% capacity in about 5 minutes. Then 30 minutes later it goes down to like 12% capacity, in the red. When I put in my (charged) OEM battery things are back to normal of course.

Now, here's the kicker: after a half-day goes by and take out the OEM battery and put back in the same Seidio 2400mAh battery that was at 12%, the battery level goes back up to 75%!

Seidio, please help!
    Though many will argue, here's the answer I got from Palm Tech Support 3 years ago with my 650. Ya notice the little battery icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen, that's the battery monitor. The battery monitor senses the condition of the battery and displays it. Based upon this reading it also adjusts the charging rate, trailing off a bit as the battery nears a full charge. If it is reading it wrong, the charging circuit won't apply the ideal charging rate thereby having a negative impact on the charge received and the battery life.

So there's two issues:

1. Without recalibrating the battery indicator will likely show the wrong charge. That's why when you switch batteries you seeing a change....cause it's giving on batteries life as a % of the other battery.
    2. Without recalibrating, the charging circuit won't be applying the ideal charging rate as it nears full capacity.

Over time, the battery monitor needs to be recalibrated. This is done each time the battery is fully discharged. Now you will note that Palm's printed manual says to basically charge the thing every chance you get as thats what's best for lithium batteries. This contradicts what Apple writes in their iPod manuals and also contradicts what my new laptop says about its lithium battery.

My laptop manufacturer wants me to do a full discharge every month in order to calibrate the battery monitoring circuit. When I talked to Palm TS, they said yes, it's not a good idea to routinely drain your Treo down to full discharge but occasionally it's a good idea to do so in order to calibrate the battery monitor.

Now this TS dude coulda been blowing smoke up my :you kno what" but with Apple and my laptop manufacturer echoing what he said in their own manuals, I conclude that at the very least there is a difference of opinion on the subject. Finally, I have been using my 650 for just about 3 years with the stock battery, making sure to do a full discharge every 3 months and I still get a complete 7 days usage between charges rarely getting below 30-50%. Keep in mind I use it as a business tool (only use about half of my 850 account voice minutes per month) and, web and e-mail only when needed and it shuts itself off at 11 pm and on again at 9 am.
    Seriously, my battery is hosed. Did the same thing again today. How do you recalibrate a battery anyway? It's not like the battery icon has a separate menu button...
    You don't recalibrate the battery....you calibrate the battery monitoring circuit.

Think of the gas tank in your car. There's a sensor in the tank that indicates when the battery is empty and the tank is full. If it's "off", you wouldn't calibrate the "tank" cause the tank size doesn't change. The level when it's empty and the level when it's full are always going to be the same distance apart.

In a battery however, the distance between full point and empty point are not constant. Those two points creep closer together as the battery ages. The calibration circuitry in your device essentially "measures" when it's reads a full charge and when it's totally drained....and sets that "distance" at 100%. If your battery never gets fully discharged, it can't measure that fully drained point so the battery indicator will be based upon wrong data and give an inaccurate reading. Simply letting your device experience a discharge to the "cutoff point" will recalibrate it. The devices are generally equipped with additional circuitry which shuts down the device well before the battery fully discharges. If it fully and completely discharges, like when left unrecharged for 2 years, then it's usually toast.

Keep in mind that repeated full discharges will decrease battery life. You will often see it stated that "Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible." People often take this to mean "Full discharges should be avoided when possible.".....You'll notice the absence of the word "Frequent" in the 2nd quote which is an important distinction.

Here's another oft misquoted item from the bateryuniversity site:

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate."

The misquote I refer to is that the battery circuit may be part of the battery pack itself or be incorporated into the device (laptop / phone / IPod) it's placed in. Here's some tips from the batteryuniversity site. keep in mind that Lithium ion technology changes rapidly and that the site hasn't been updated in almost 2 years.

Simple Guidelines

* Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

* Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops and smartphones) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

* Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

* Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

* Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

* If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast