1.    #1  
    I can't get my phone to turn off or on by holding the power button. It simply turns the screen on or off.

In order to turn the phone off, I have to reset the Treo. To turn the phone back on again, I have to attempt to make a phone call and select "OK" when it notifies me that the phone is turned off and asks if I want to turn it on.

Any ideas about what may be wrong and how to fix this?
    Press-and-hold ...
    Or just dial #*633
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    How long are you holding down the power button? If you are just pressing and releasing it will not power down the phone, hold it for a couple of seconds (I think it tells you this in that little book that came with the phone, what's it called, something about a an instruction book or operating insructions) :-)
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  5.    #5  
    OK, Let me be a little bit a bit more clear.

I can't get my phone to turn off or on by holding the power button. It simply turns the screen on or off.

By holding, I mean "not pressing and releasing". While I'm holding "for more than a couple of seconds" the screen turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by BNOYHTUAWB
    Press-and-hold ...

Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    How long are you holding down the power button? If you are just pressing and releasing it will not power down the phone, hold it for a couple of seconds (I think it tells you this in that little book that came with the phone, what's it called, something about a an instruction book or operating insructions) :-)
    If you suspect software conflict, you should do a hard reset (after backing up and hotsyncing).
    If the problem goes away, it is software. You would then re-install all applications one at a time to identify the culprit.
    If not, suspect the hardware.

All this is well discussed here. Ask for more help on this if you want to proceed with this troubleshooting.

You can do this without losing your Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Memos.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    Thanks aprasad. I think I'll just live with it since I have (45) 3rd party applications that I don't want to reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    If you suspect software conflict, you should do a hard reset (after backing up and hotsyncing).
    If the problem goes away, it is software. You would then re-install all applications one at a time to identify the culprit.
    If not, suspect the hardware.

All this is well discussed here. Ask for more help on this if you want to proceed with this troubleshooting.

You can do this without losing your Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Memos.
    If you don't want to do a hard reset, try out this little app.:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=104985
  9.    #9  
    Excellent recommendation. Works great when mapped to the "option + phone" button.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    If you don't want to do a hard reset, try out this little app.:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=104985
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTechChik
    Thanks aprasad. I think I'll just live with it since I have (45) 3rd party applications that I don't want to reinstall.
    You don't have to re-install if you don't want to. Just restore from backup or sync back to the original hotsync ID.

At least you'd know whether you have a a failing hardware situation ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A