1.    #1  
    Any programs that can do that?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The IR isn'r really strong enough for more than a few feet away.
    I've been ok using Novii from 10 to 15 feet away.
    They (Novii) have a product where an IR transmitter is plugged into the SD card slot on the Treo. I have read good reviews about that one. I haven't used it, though ...

Anything that uses the Treo's built-in IR port won't perform well because of the weak and narrow range of Treo's IR.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    How in the world are you getting 10 feet? Are there any tricks that I am unaware of to extending/boosting the IR signal (other than the SD add-on)?

This feature is what I miss most about my ky07135...
    Quote Originally Posted by edelweiss
    How in the world are you getting 10 feet? Are there any tricks that I am unaware of to extending/boosting the IR signal (other than the SD add-on)?

This feature is what I miss most about my ky07135...
    I don't know - it Just Worked(TM)

Until I'd used the program, I'd always imagined that such applications were silly - how would that work? I mean, if I have to be within 3-6 inches of another device to beam, what good is having a remote that I have to hold up against the TV? Thought I'd give it a go just for the heck of it.

Surprised the hell out of me when it worked like it did! Had it working with 3 TVs, 1 standalone DVD player, and a multifunction CD/boombox.

Alas, for me, it was just a novelty. The remote heirarchy (even if it is /my 'remote') has 3 people in front of me, and it rarely makes it to the 3rd, let alone me...

So instead of having my own 'remote', I've since realized that Lathe'ing my shows and watching them at my own convenience with TCPMP is a much better route to go
    So instead of having my own 'remote', I've since realized that Lathe'ing my shows and watching them at my own convenience with TCPMP is a much better route to go
    My thoughts exactly! I especially love my new Panasonic DVR/DVD burner. It can write to DVD-RAM and then it's a simple process to copy the .VRO file to my SD card, rename the extension to .MPG, and view via TCPMP.
  9. mss
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    The IR isn'r really strong enough for more than a few feet away.

I have the NoviiRemote Blaster to use my Treo 650 as a remote control. The range is crazy!!! I think it's even more than 25 feet, but I may only guess, as there's a wall behind me
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    Either you're joking or your home is made of mirrors. I don't believe you.
    The Treo's IR emitter is very directional.. I'm not surprized you could *sometimes* get 10 feet, but not likely a typical scenario.. I can change the channel on my TV in my bedroom from 3-4 feet away if I keep aiming and hitting the button, usually due to the remote control being lost somewhere on the bed and my wife and 6 month old are asleep and I can't dig around for it.

I could get out of bed.. but.. They didn't invent remote controls so you could do that
  12. mss
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    The Treo's IR emitter is very directional.. I'm not surprized you could *sometimes* get 10 feet, but not likely a typical scenario..
    yeah, it is... unfortunately .... that's why i had to purchase the noviiremote blaster instead of using software only
    the range is decent: easily 10-20' depending on your accuracy -- I have other complaints with it though.

It will reset my 650 when I remove the IR gizmo, and it does not completely operate all the primary functions of my recent model Pioneer receiver or JVC DVD,-- and it has no codes at all for my inFocus Projector. (it cannot operate or even engage my Tuner with any of the provided codes).

Its now relegated to a "showing off my Treo" toy than a regularly used universal remote. The novii is just not completely comprehensive enough to be the perfect remote.

Oh I did bring it with me during my travels in Asia -- controling the random bar TV is kinda of priceless ....
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/13/2006 at 04:18 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)