Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Just curious. After installing the update without any problems, I have the new Sprint splash screen but still an old PalmOne logo. Why wouldn't Palm want to take the opportunity to update their logo as well?
    I did the update because I am a heavy user of Goodlink and Chatter, I was hoping to find some of my memory issues go away. I am happy to say after using it several days my memory usage is much better. Not that I have a ton to spare in RAM (I run about 4.5MB free).

I used to get a memory error after rebooting (after Goodlink and Chatter where up and running) trying to open the built in browser, but don't receive it anymore. My Goodlink seems more stable as well.

Only 1 real issue. And yes my battery was fully charged before starting the update ... the battery seems to be sucked dry in about 6 hours of real use where before I could get at least 8.5 hours ..
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Anyone have an issue with battery drain? My battery went from 100% to 15% from 7:30am to 6:00pm yesterday. Made two 5 minute phone calls, received ~ 4 emails (Chatter) and used Datebk6 for ~ 5 cumulative minutes. This is the fastest my phone has ever drained.

Strangely, this happened the day after 1.13a. I'm suspicious, to say the least.
    Just the opposite - half charge still available after overnight of leaving on... with Chatter - when previously would be dead the next day.

And, I'm confused - some prior post talk about requiring a full charge before the 1.13a update b/c of battery re-calibration - But I couldn't find anything in Palm's notes or instructions... only to have the Treo plugged in.

But did find that latest beta Chatter, 1.1.4.5b6 with Matrix 14a, used at least 100% more RAM. VoiceDial stopped working (needs 2 MB to work). Going back to 1.1.4.3p Matrix 12 helped - only uses less than 800k.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Just received a text message telling me to update my phone by dialing *2. Have any of you also received this. I upgraded two days ago. I think I read someone else saying that had to upgrade as well.
    As I noted last night, after I installed the 1.13a update, when I went back to sync with my original user name, at the end when the device said I needed to reset it, when I did it entered a soft reset loop, continuously resetting. I couldn't stop the loop, so I hard reset it and tried again syncing with my original user name, and at the end the same thing happened--the continuous reset loop. So I hard resetted it again and gave up for last night, deciding to enlist your help.

Today I remembered I had a BackupBuddy backup on my sd card, so I restored everything from my card, so I'm back to what I had yesterday, but with the 1.13a update. Now my question for today. How do I now sync? I'm afraid if I now try to sync with my original user name, it will encounter whatever created the reset loop problem. I guess there is something in my original user name setup that creates the problem. Do I delete my original user name setup and create a new one, with the same name, and then sync to that one? Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by raleigh1208
    As I noted last night, after I installed the 1.13a update, when I went back to sync with my original user name, at the end when the device said I needed to reset it, when I did it entered a soft reset loop, continuously resetting. I couldn't stop the loop, so I hard reset it and tried again syncing with my original user name, and at the end the same thing happened--the continuous reset loop. So I hard resetted it again and gave up for last night, deciding to enlist your help.

Today I remembered I had a BackupBuddy backup on my sd card, so I restored everything from my card, so I'm back to what I had yesterday, but with the 1.13a update. Now my question for today. How do I now sync? I'm afraid if I now try to sync with my original user name, it will encounter whatever created the reset loop problem. I guess there is something in my original user name setup that creates the problem. Do I delete my original user name setup and create a new one, with the same name, and then sync to that one? Any help would be appreciated!
    Since you are good to go due to having BackupBuddy, I would rename the backup folder in your user profile on the computer. I had the same thing your describing. I did a restore with BackupBuddy as well and then deleted the contents of the backup folder on my computer. So far, no problems. All my conduits are syncing okay. I use GoSync so I don't have to sync all conduits. I generally just sync my contacts, memos, tasks, and Quicken. My calendar is OTA with Biz Conn. If you read the update instructions on Palms site, they say to not use a backup program to restore because you may get reset loops. It was opposite for me, and evidentally you. I got the reset loop by using the conduit hotsync.
    Thanks John for youre reply. By "renaming" the backup folder, I'm assuming you mean I find the backup folder for my original user name on my computer, rename it to something else to save it elsewhere, leave an empty backup folder for my original user name, and then hot sync with my original user name. Correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by raleigh1208
    Thanks John for youre reply. By "renaming" the backup folder, I'm assuming you mean I find the backup folder for my original user name on my computer, rename it to something else to save it elsewhere, leave an empty backup folder for my original user name, and then hot sync with my original user name. Correct?
    Correct. That keeps items from the desktop from being reinstalled to the Treo. I rarely do a backup to my PC. I did this time to follow Palm's instructions. But, as I stated that bit me. Went back to my reliable BackupBuddy and things are fine now.
    Did any1 else have a problem with text messaging after running the update? I had 2 resets caused by Messaging; both said "MemoryMgr.c, Line:3842, Nil Ptr"
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    For those of you who have the update, do you recommend upgrading? Doesn't seem worth it for all the trouble some users are having.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    For those of you who have the update, do you recommend upgrading? Doesn't seem worth it for all the trouble some users are having.
    If it aint broke dont fix it. I've upgraded and I seem to have a lot of resets lately. Also I now get the "not enough cash" sometimes when I run Tomtom. Never had this issue before.
    Guys and Gals,

Certified newbie here, and recently found this site. My first post. I think I'll save the custom ROM for another occasion, as I was thrilled that my machined didn't puke when I loaded the new ROM onto it.

I followed Aldamon's advice (who posted EvilGhost's suggestions) because it made the most sense to me, in terms of clearing out old conflicts, freeing up maximum memory, and then loading everything anew.

I had an incident about a month back with resets (on the order of 25 or more each day, wiping out my savedprefs and ZLauncher prefs). I almost flushed the damn thing down the toilet during that spell. Tried everything (DBCache, RLock, PrefsDoc, SyncB4Reset), you name it. Finally resolved to dump all hacks from the device (Doomsey's KeyCaps, A keyboard light-dimmer, whose name I now forget, etc.). Still have VolumeCare, which was next on the list, as well as Butler, after that.

All resets were substantially reduced until I recently discovered Quicknews. I never much used Blazer, and was all of a sudden linking RSS feeds to get complete stories on the Internet. And the resets returned, but not in force like before. This time, my SavedPrefs were gnerally spared, but ZLauncher's prefs would continually get corrupted.

So I've updated with the new ROM. I first killed a Splash Overlay, pursuant to a post's suggestion (after someone on the thread had difficulties). I then unlocked all my RescoLock'd Apps. Disabled DBCache.

Did a backup with RescoBackup, then followed EvilGhost's instructions. The first sync crapped out, though through no fault of his, because my having to create the Rom Update account caused multiple/overlapping conduits, since I use Chapura's PocketMirror XT to synch with Outlook. Disabled the redundancy, and was off.

It's all back, and seems to be working (except for KMaps , which I anticipated would balk with the Java issue). One of the reasons I ultimately switched from BackupMan to Resco, as well, since the former cannot handle Java, and correspondence with the developer indicated they had no intention of ever hacking BackUpMan to handle it. So Resco it is. More functionality, anyway.

DBCache is still disabled
    Not currently locking anything (whereas I was locking Butler, CardExport II, Cleanup, DBCacheDA & DBCacheTool, NoAlarms, OnGuardBackup, Profiles, RescoBackup, and Uninstall Manager).

Yea, yea, I know Butler is supposed to self-lock, but I think it really is at the root of some of the issues I'm having. It's just the only alarm I've ever used that is trustworthy. TreoAlarm, for example, is completely undependable when any alert, whatsoever, that requires user input triggers. I've almost been late to work on several occasions because of that %$@#%.

I had issues with CardExport II's "bug" and a corrupted (psub, maybe?) DB. Summoned my Spanish from grade-school waaaaay too long ago to try to translate the site I'd found to resolve that problem. Seems like pieces of the program work their way into DBCache, so I figured I wasn't so memory poor as to not be able to be extra cautious and lock it up. Seemed to reduce my resets, anyway. Profiles and DBCache definitely need to be locked, from my understanding.

Okay, enough rambling. I'm walking the wire without my usual DBCache/RLock nets, so let's see if the "new memory management" is anything more than that awful new yellow splash-screen. Here's hoping it is.

Just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone. I hope to check in, and type in, more regularly going forward.

Oh, one question, once I summon the courage. (It's just that I finally got this bas$%# to work after putting waaaay to much time into it, and would launch myself out the window if I bricked it, now). The ROMs that were posted. Which step in Shadowmite's instructions, in fact, let me do a cut and past:

Which step in the instructions, below, do I then continue from? I think I know, but I want to be absoflutely clear, if I ever tackle this. I'd just be dead if I bricked my Treo, because I don't remember to hit the Jon without it these days.

Thanks again, instructions I had questions with to follow:

P.S. I copied the entire thread and its links (I think I got most all of it) to a PDF for reference on my own machine, just in case the link/site/thread goes down, whatever. I'll upload a copy, here, in the event it might help others out. I just like to have things locally as reference for "down the line." I can't host, so I've uploaded it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B9QIR4RO

and the site indicates it will stay there for 30 after the last download. In other words, it will be deleted once nobody downloads if for a 30 day period. I figure enough of us will have it by then (or someone might be kind enough to host what's ultimately a small file).

- - -

Treocentral claims no responsibility for the information given here by me. I am not
    giving instruction on how you can make a custom ROM. I am just explaining how I
    made my custom ROM. If you attempt to take information I am giving to make
    your own ROM you must decide that it is totally fine for you if you permanently
    ruin your Treo.
    Please read shadowmites instructions first and also along with my story to get the
    utmost clarity.
    http://shadowmite.com/romInstruct.html
    http://shadowmite.com/roms.html
    I am a complete unskilled newbie but after days of reading information I was able
    to make a perfect ROM for my Sprint Treo 650. I gained 4 megs of RAM since I
    placed in ROM 4 megs of my 3rd party programs that would usually be in RAM.
    More importantly I got rid of the junk applications that wasted space and
    occasionally caused me problems, like versamail.
    First off I plugged my treo into the USB charger and synced, I also disabled by
    anti-virus and firewall software. Just so you know things appear differently
    depending on what carrier, radio type, PC programs installed and computer OS
    you have. I have a sprint CDMA Treo 650 and a windows XP home edition desktop
    computer. Also the files that I downloaded, created, copied or drag and dropped I
    tried to move or copy as little as possible to prevent corruption. The most
    important thing I can say is
    (1)Premature Treo deaths have occurred during ROM flashing due to palm OS zips
    having embedded directory. So I made sure that when I got to place my palmos.
    zip onto my memory card that it didn't contain any folders, just files. This comes
    later so this step is out of order but it is the most important so it comes first and
    will be repeated when we cross that bridge.
    (2) I went to http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_eul...l_template.html clicked I
    agree and downloaded the sprint treo 650 ROM update 1.12 since I have a sprint
    treo 650 and saved it to the desktop, other ROMs are listed under support
    downloads on this page http://www.palm.com/us/support/ .
    (3) I unzipped or extracted the sprint update and double clicked the extracted
    installer, I clicked run, next, next, yes, next. I had already backedup so didn't click
    next again.
    (4) I right clicked the blue desktop screen on my computer and went to new, then
    folder and I named that folder ROM.
    (5) I right clicked the windows start button in the lower right hand corner of my
    computer, clicked explore, click program files, click palm one, I clicked my name, I
    clicked the install folder, I selected all the files in that folder and drug them to my
    newly created "ROM" folder I made on the desktop.
    (6) I then clicked cancel on the sprint update that was still waiting to run, then
    "yes" cancel.
    (7) I then went to this page http://shadowmite.com/roms.html on shadowmites
    site and downloaded the java T3 class, On that page it says "Download the class
    here". I saved the java T3 file to my “ROM” folder I created on the desktop.
    (8 ) Shadowmites site said To use it first off you need to have Sun Java installed
    on your machine. so I went to http://java.sun.com/ and downloaded the Windows
    Platform J2SE(TM)RuntimeEnvironment 5.0 Update 5, I clicked Windows Online
    Installation, clicked run, run.
    (9) I clicked the start menu on my computer then clicked "all programs",
    accessories, command prompt. This brought up a black box with text showing a
    directory, you know what a directory is right? C:\Documents and Settings\Hello>
    This is when things got really friggen hard. After 4 hours I figured out that I had to
    type cd Desktop\ROM then press enter. so it looked like this
    C:\Documents and Settings\Hello>cd Desktop\ROM and then it printed C:
    \Documents and Settings\Hello\Desktop\ROM> And then I typed java T3 That
    created 13 files and 3 zip files in my "ROM" folder that I had created on my
    desktop. If it says class not found you may need to set the class path. In this case
    type
    set CLASSPATH=; C:\Documents and Settings\Hello\Desktop\ROM
    then hit enter, then type java T3
    (10) I right clicked on the blue screen of my desktop again and went "new",
    "folder" and named it "palm", then I went into this palm folder then right clicked
    and created a folder and named it launcher.
    (11) I went to my folder named ROM and drag and dropped 2 files
    CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp_Device and ROMUpdaterApp over to my newly created
    launcher folder.
    (12) I then deleted the original prc and palm database (pdb) files that were in my
    ROM folder, (I snapped a picture of the screen and highlighted the files to delete in
    the attachments below named "delete original files" and "Donot delete zips or new
    files").
    (13) I then went to http://shadowmite.com/roms.html and clicked "Get it here PC”
    to download shadowmites custom ROM tool. I saved it to the desktop and
    unzipped it. I opened the T650Tool folder (it may open on its own) and double
    clicked T650Rom, clicked run.
    (14) In the left panel I double clicked “desktop“, double clicked my “ROM” folder,
    then in the middle panel I clicked one time the file named ace-palmos.zip, then I
    clicked the button on shadowmites tool named Open ROM Zip. It pulls all the files
    in the ROM into the center panel. I clicked the select all button on the top middle
    of the panel, that put all the files in the right panel.
    (15) I then went to http://www.shadowmite.com/filelist.pdf to view the pdf that
    tells you what is safe to delete.
    (16) For every file that the pdf said was safe to delete I double clicked that file in
    the right panel to delete it. Except for the blazer font and memo cause I like blazer
    and memo
    (17) I then went to the left panel and went to my back up folder by double clicking
    in the left panel the C:\ , I then double click program files, double click palmone,
    double click your hot sync ID, (you know your name), double click backup, that
    showed the files in my backup folder in the middle panel. If you wish to place
    applications in ROM from other than the backup folder, I recommend you run the
    application on the phone first to make sure the application doesnt need to run
    through an installation process similar to a NutShell Installer. If a prc needs to
    extract/load itself the first time it is ran then if it were in ROM it would have to run
    through that process every time it were ran but more likely it would just kill your
    phone.
    (18 ) I double clicked the files in the middle panel that I wished to add to my new
    custom ROM. I choose applications that were perfect so I wouldn't ever worry
    about updating them when an update comes out.
    *ONLY PRCs CAN GO IN ROM, NOT PDB* (the truth is that "readonly" pdb's can,
    but read only pdb's can also go on the card so its silly to put them in ROM.
    I choose hi-launcher
    treo select text
    treoguard
    splash money
    Bugme note pad
    megaclock and its pacific ocean prc
    spell check
    Treo alert manager
    Volkeys and a few others, I searched mytreo.net and treocentral for a list of
    applications that work in ROM.
    (19) I then clicked the button on the bottom left of shadowmites tool named Build
    it, I was lucky my ROM wasnt over 8 megabytes (8000000) the number on the
    bottom of shadowmites tool said 200000 left. If there were a minus sign -200000 I
    would then half to double click a file in the right panel to remove it and click build
    it untill the minus sign went away. When I saw no minus sign I clicked exit which
    created a folder on my desktop named New ROM or CustomROM. Within this folder
    was a file named ace-palmos.zip.md5 and a zip folder named ace-palmos. I
    drug that folder and file to my folder named "ROM". The computer asked me if I
    wanted to overwrite the existing file, I said yes to all.
    So then what I had was a folder named palm which I created and within that
    folder was a folder named launcher which I created and within that folder were 2
    files:
    CDMAFirmwareUpdateerApp_device
    ROMUpdater App
    I my folder named ROM which I created I had 3 zip folders named:
    ace-palmos
    ace-htc-tpl
    ace-palmos-tpl
    Along with 13 files named:
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-palmos.zip.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-spl.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-cvt1
    (20) I then took my SD card out of my Treo and put it in my card reader on my
    computer. I went to the MMC/SD drive and opened the drive to view the contents
    of my card. I right clicked the palm folder on my SD card, left clicked rename and
    typed NOT in front of the word palm to rename the folder. I then drag and
    dropped the ROM folder and the palm folder I created which were on my desktop
    and dropped them on the SD card. So on my card all in one window a long with
    the folders that were all ready there I had a palm folder a ROM folder a NOTpalm
    folder. This is called being on the root, it is the beginning level. However the
    launcher folder is not on the root because it is inside the palm folder. And the 3 zip
    folders are also not on the root because they are folders within the ROM folder.
    AGAIN IF THERE IS A FOLDER IN THE ACE-PALMOS ZIP FILE THE TREO WILL DIE
    (but there isnt, because I didnt put one in there).
    (21) I then hard reset the Treo and then placed the SD card back in the treo. It
    went to the card view and I tapped CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp, it opened and I
    tapped the big button in the center, update or something to that effect. I took
    about 5 minutes to run then the treo turned off.
    (22) I turned the treo back on and went the card view and tapped the
    ROMUpdaterApp, it opened and I typed rev cvt2 and then I hit enter on the treo
    keyboard, it said it would run prl cvt2 Then I typed ace and then hit enter on the
    keyboard then it went through a check-list to make sure all the needed files were
    there and not corrupt. If a file is corrupt or missing it wont find the file and it will
    cancel (pause) the update. Then you take the card out, delete every thing and
    start all over or try to find the file or folder the treo said was missing. If the
    checklist finds everything it needs it runs it in like 10 seconds and then tells you to
    hard reset the treo.
    (23) I then took out the card and deleted the palm and ROM folder off the card
    and renamed my NOTpalm folder back to palm.
    (24) I then right clicked my blue desktop and went new, folder and created a new
    folder named backup.
    (25) I then went to the start menu on my desktop computer and right clicked and
    went to explore, program files, palmone, my name, backup and I selected all the
    files in the backup folder and drag and dropped them into the new backup folder
    on the desktop because I didn’t want to sync all the files that were now in ROM
    back to RAM and now a lot of files were missing (the junk palm files I removed
    with the shadowmite tool) so I didn’t want to sync any databases, preferences or
    settings that went with them.
    (26) So I double clicked one by one the files that I did want to sync back to my
    treo. They included my 3rd party applications and their databases and settings
    that were not now in ROM. Databases and settings to the applications that were
    now in ROM. Databases, settings and preferences to original ROM applications that
    I didn’t remove.
    I didn’t sync the saved preference file, any java files or other files that are
    recreated by the system such as address files and MMIDCashe files.
    I then re-entered all my registration codes and reconfigured all my applications.
    I hope this reading was enjoyable, If so please post a "Thanks".
    I wish I could have read something like this before I made my ROM, it would have
    allowed me to make it in 30 minutes rather than all day
    Here's some screen shots to show which files to delete. The highlighted ones are
    the ones to delete. If the picture is hard to see just save the picture to the desktop
    and open it up there.
    EDIT: Adding a picture.
    Last edited by CheckPt.Charlie; 01/29/2006 at 06:04 AM.
    Son of a gun. My Treo just spontaneously reset.

##377#: while running "unknown app":

HtcCDMARadio.cpp, Line:51, CRC check failed

Savedprefs still in tact, as is ZLauncher. Oh well. At least I didn't lose the prefs. Let's see how persistent this reset issue is. Or if I have to go back to RLock/DBCache.
    Would someone do a "Find" (Option-Shift) for a street name ONLY in your address book. Make sure there is a street number in front of the actual stored contact address.

Does the result look Garbled?

This has been an issue with previous updates and if they garble this, what else gets screwed up and possibly causes resets?
    FastFrank
    Mine has been resetting since I did the update as well. Seems whenever I use the Down button on the 5way in contacts. I've also noticed it happens no matter what contacts view I am using (Example: "lookup contact" when sending email or messages)
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    For people complaining about poor battery life after the update, check your screen brightness. I noticed today that mine was brighter than normal and realized the update set it to the default. That might explain some of the batter problems people have been reporting.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    OK. I am stumped as to why someone would install this update unless they were having actual issues with the device in the first place. Just like a BIOS update. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Also, can anyone tell me what is so good about Chatter and GoodLink?
    I agree - after numerous spontanteous resets (which I did not have prior to the update), I finally did a hard reset and reinstalled everything. So far so good, except now when I turn on bluetooth and try to find/pair with my Sony HBH-660, the Treo seems to hang for several minutes. Also, it fails to recognize a button push to turn on when off - i have to turn off the bluetooth to get it to be responsive again. Nice update...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337
    OK. I am stumped as to why someone would install this update unless they were having actual issues with the device in the first place. Just like a BIOS update. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Also, can anyone tell me what is so good about Chatter and GoodLink?
    Well it seems to me that if they fixed something to make Goodlink work, which we know is big on dbcache, that there is a good chance they have made an improvement to dbcache handling. It's not as if they updated Goodlink to work better--they updated the Treo to work better with Goodlink.

Second, should I have a problem with my Treo--which is under warranty--I'd rather not get a canned reply that I cannot be helped since my Treo is not up to date.

But the real reason I updated was to get the new Sprint splash screen. That has made it all worth it.

--
    Mike
    Speaking of dbcache, what's the consensus on that? Has anyone been running with success for a few days without DBCahce Tool?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast