Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Anybody knows how to make a custome ROM from the new update? It is an exe file which load lots of files under the Install folder? My Treo has a custome ROM that I created using shadowmites tool and I'm not willing to give it up.

Help,

Al

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527
    I just created a custom ROM based on this new 1.13a ROM and after the install of the new custom ROM it still shows 1.12a!?!? I see the new yellow Sprint logo when I turn my phone on so I know the update has been installed but I don't know why my phone info still says 1.12a instead of 1.13a?

Anyone else run into this issue?

I run GoodLink and can someone tell me what the difference is with this new update? Am I supposed to see more free dbcache or stroage memory?
    That was a common problem with the old custom ROMs. It's meaningless. Your phone has the newer software but it displays the wrong version.

Any chance that you could post the files needed for the custom ROM or email them to me? I don't want to mess with compiling what's needed with the Java tool. I don't have any problems customizing the ROM once it's in the ace-palmos.zip format.
    Last edited by 2000 Man; 01/25/2006 at 03:44 AM.
    I'm anal about stuff like that. Is there any other way to verify that the new ROM is actually installed other than checking the version number in the about screen in the phone app.?
    And supposedly all these updates are included from previous ones so they say...

Included from previous updates released in March and June 2005:

* Enables Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking
    * Updates VersaMail to version 3.1 to enhance stability and add improvements
    * Adds support for more Bluetooth carkits including Acura, BMW, Chrysler, Toyota Prius (see all compatible car kits)
    * Reduces post-dial delay before a call is connected
    * Send SMS messages from Missed Call Alert or Call Log
    * Now there's a new user guide that incorporates the changes after running the Treo 650 Updater: Treo 650 User Guide (PDF)
    * Optimizes memory handling and frees up more memory with non-volatile file system improvements (learn more)
    * Overall voice quality improvements and enhanced call clarity
    * Internal setting modification to allow correct access to Sprint Affiliate roaming partner networks (previously released as Sprint PCS Treo 650 Roaming Patch)
    * TTY (also known as TDD or Text Telephone) optimizations and improvements
    * Optimizations for data calls
    * Bluetooth Carkit drivers are now included in ROM (previously released as Carkit Update for Treo 650)

One thing I noticed though, was that you HAVE to do a HARD reset. I don't think I want to do this at the moment. I do have things backed up, but i dread doing this unless I REALLY know i'm getting alot of new features added. I think i'll wait till there is a post on Treonauts or something, and about what people have found etc. I love my device too much to do a hard reset at the moment.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Time to post EvilGhost's excellent ROM Updating instructions:

==============================================
    Here's the process I use everytime to update, and I don't have out of memory issues/etc.

1) Hotsync phone, to make sure I've got a good backup.
    2) Perform a HARD-reset. The device is now clean with plenty of ram.
    3) Using Palm Desktop, create a new user called "Rom Update". Basically, click the "Edit Users" button.
    4) Run the Rom Updater Tool, select "Rom Update" as the target user.
    5) Hotsync the Treo, when prompted to create a new profile, or existing profile, select the existing "Rom Update" user.
    6) The ROM files get copied over, the Treo 650 will update, then reboot/hard-reset on its own.
    7) Hotsync, when prompted to create a new profile, or existing profile, select your original hotsync id. It will copy all your prefs, files, applications, etc over.
    8) Open Palm Desktop and remove the "Rom Update" user.

I leave the Firmware updater application at the [Next] screen the entire time. After step #6 is complete, I just hit [Cancel].

I think this is a cleaner way to do things because it prevents the remains of the firmware update being "backed up". It also ensures I"ve got plenty of RAM and that running applications won't interfere.
    ==============================================

They work every time.
    must you have a fully charged batt to do the upgrade?
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    must you have a fully charged batt to do the upgrade?

YES !!

If I recall correctly, part of the ROM update resets the communication between the Treo's battery charging circuitry and the battery -- as to what is a "full charge" -- so you need to have the battery at full charge -- so this is properly communicated to the new firmware.

I most likely slaughtered this -- but this is the gist of it.

Cheers, Perry.
    tks
    Treoing & Loving it
    The splash screen changes. It is now yellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by paqmaster
    I just created a custom ROM based on this new 1.13a ROM and after the install of the new custom ROM it still shows 1.12a!?!? I see the new yellow Sprint logo when I turn my phone on so I know the update has been installed but I don't know why my phone info still says 1.12a instead of 1.13a?

I run GoodLink and can someone tell me what the difference is with this new update? Am I supposed to see more free dbcache or stroage memory?
    If I remember right, if you run the normal update first and then go back and run your custom ROM update, it will show the right version. I would also like the custom ROM files. I have several customs that I use, but I have never extracted from the .exe files first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzo
    The splash screen changes. It is now yellow.
    any other "real changes"?
    besides splash screen and the things posted (i.e. docs to go, zap)

any memory gain?
    any thing taken away?
    what about volume?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I wasn't going to do the update because it really didn't offer much. Sure, I use several background apps that may cause reboots, but the process has always sucked to upgrade. Well, for whatever reason, this time the update went absolutely perfectly. Even all of my reg codes were there as well as all my pics! Very impressed with the ease this time. Now I hope we still get that major update in a month!
    My upgrade went silky smooth. I figured I'd do it since I use BizCon (I assume Palm's statements about this upgrade also pertain to BC......). Guess I'll need to do a Custom ROM soon..

I haven't noticed any real changes, but I also haven't played with it much.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by paqmaster

From previous updates, if you run the update unchanged first and then flash a custom ROM you should see the version change to 1.13a - if that's important to you.
    this lack of progress is why i am considering leaving the palm OS for good.
    Hey guys.... how easy do you think it was to improve memory for apps that run on the background? If what they say is real then it is a CRITICAL update. It is an update that brings more stability to the Treo which is awesome.

Chill,

Al
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Just installed the update. I would have to say it was the smoothest I have done. I had some oddity with 2day and 4cast (4cast wasn't showing in 2day until I started both apps). Also it chaged the color of one of my calendar categories from yellow to light blue. Very strange. Beyond that eveything went smooth.
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
    screw it... *installs update*
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    If I remember right, if you run the normal update first and then go back and run your custom ROM update, it will show the right version. I would also like the custom ROM files. I have several customs that I use, but I have never extracted from the .exe files first.
    I've never installed any update or custom ROM on my 650. So to get the new ROM showing the right version, I have to install it as is when downloaded from Palm, then install the custom ROM based off of it, over it?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast