Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    I havent upgraded yet (to 1.13a), since my Treo is stable and i am having no problems. but i checked my PRL and it was 10028. i called to update and now its 10030 . anyway, i was having trouble with signal on this one stretch of road, but now after the PRL update its a strong signal (and its not roaming). i know PRL is perferred roaming list, but could someone clarify for me what it does. i have searched and i find conflicting views. some say it helps with new towers others say it doesnt. Just wondered.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    I havent upgraded yet (to 1.13a), since my Treo is stable and i am having no problems. but i checked my PRL and it was 10028. i called to update and now its 10030 . anyway, i was having trouble with signal on this one stretch of road, but now after the PRL update its a strong signal (and its not roaming). i know PRL is perferred roaming list, but could someone clarify for me what it does. i have searched and i find conflicting views. some say it helps with new towers others say it doesnt. Just wondered.
    I don't think anyone knows.....including Sprint. I'm just happy that someone finally aparently trained CS on how to flag an account for update. I don't want to push my luck and ask them to explain anything.
    I have software Treo650-1.12a-SPNT with the yellow splash screen and PRL 10029. Should I upgrade to 1.13a? Btw, I used to get about one reset a day for a couple of days and now get less. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    PRL update does nothing if you don't roam. It's sole purpose is to provide the phone with instructions to select the cheaper rate tower Sprint has contracted under it's roaming agreements with other carriers. I find it funny how people call up insisting on an update, as if it's some sort of life saving firmware upgrade! LOL. Anyhow, it may also help your phone lock onto a better roaming signal, but that's it.

I guess there is just something warm and fuzzy feeling about having the "latest" version of software...even if you don't know what it's for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    PRL update does nothing if you don't roam. It's sole purpose is to provide the phone with instructions to select the cheaper rate tower Sprint has contracted under it's roaming agreements with other carriers. I find it funny how people call up insisting on an update, as if it's some sort of life saving firmware upgrade! LOL. Anyhow, it may also help your phone lock onto a better roaming signal, but that's it.

I guess there is just something warm and fuzzy feeling about having the "latest" version of software...even if you don't know what it's for.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. It's sad that so many people are crying about a 3 week old PRL update not being included in the latest firmware revision that must have been in testing for longer than the past 3 weeks.
    2000 Man, do you want to pick a fight? My point was it was just bad programming and unprofessional conduct. We can nitpick until the end of time about if a PRL is important, I bet I'm the only one of the two of us who can actually READ the prl and UNDERSTAND it.

Consider yourself "ignored".
    I just like to keep my Treo updated, by all means......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Can't we all just get along????
    I know for a fact that the PRL makes a difference, even locally. I live underneath one of Sprint's towers, which they did some tweaking to one day. Well, the darn tower would drop a call in progress if I simply was driving around the block. I'd have 4 bars then all the sudden it'd drop--within 20 feet it went from 4 bars to 0. Then as soon as it dropped, 4 bars again. So I called *2, they updated the PRL, and no more problems since. Always 4 bars, sometimes dipping down to 3, no matter how many times I circle the block around the tower.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Shadowmite, since you can read and understand the PRL code, does it help me if I never roam? I'm not being smart, I just honestly don't know. I realize this issue has been beaten to death, but it seems every other post suggests a Preferred Roaming List update somehow helps a non-roaming signal. I'd just like to understand this better from someone who can read and interpret the code. I have roaming turned off...so should I still insist on a PRL update to make my signal better?

Thanks.
    the PRL is the "master" list of what towers the phone can use. Every update they release, a few things can happen.
    1) They delete towers that you used to be able to use
    2) They add towers that you now can use
    3) they change the priority on which tower to use if multiple are available

As a result of these possibilities, every prl update is different to different areas of the country. In general people believe phones use the carrier SID before the PRL. This is NOT the case with the treo. The treo ALWAYS uses the PRL to determine towers to connect to (in our experience).

It's very difficult to read and interpret what each update does, but suffice to say, eventually everyone will be effected by one prl change or another. And they can be good changes, or bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    2000 Man, do you want to pick a fight? My point was it was just bad programming and unprofessional conduct. We can nitpick until the end of time about if a PRL is important, I bet I'm the only one of the two of us who can actually READ the prl and UNDERSTAND it.

Consider yourself "ignored".
    I read 10030 when it came out. Most of the important roaming changes where in KY from what I remember. Stop being such a crybaby.

Here's the list of all significant changes from PRL version 10029 to PRL version 10030:
    01075 (USCC - CA-9) changed from (A) to [D] (this is a new bug - 01075 is an analog-only SID)
    01173 (USCC - ID-3/ID-5/ID-6) changed from (A) to [D]
    03462 (Custer Telephone - ID-3) added
    01823 (ALLTEL - WY-1) split into two [D] entries
    [D] entry (NID 01941) marked as native Sprint PCS (see below)
    [D] entry (any NID) marked as RM
    01825 (ALLTEL - Casper/WY-2/WY-4/WY-5) changed from D/A to [D] and split into two [D] entries
    [D] entry (NID 01941) marked as native Sprint PCS (see below)
    [D] entry (any NID) marked as RM
    00324 (Pioneer/Enid - OK) [D] entry now preferred over PCS entry
    00574 (USCC - TX/OK) now preferred over 00529 (ALLTEL - TX/OK/NM)
    04194 (SPCS - Tulsa) duplicate entry added in MEX GEO (obviously used as an escape code, but why Tulsa???)
    00465 (VZW - AL/FL) removed
    00285/00371 (ALLTEL - ND/MN) changed from D/A to [D] and split into two [D] entries
    [D] entries (NID 01962) marked as native Sprint PCS (see below)
    [D] entries (any NID) marked as RM
    06006 (USCC - Rochester, MN) added
    06488 (USCC - Lincoln) added
    00298/00384/01215/01272/01399/01403/01406/01419/01423/01425/02141/01411 (USCC - MO/KS/OK) changed from D/A to [D]
    00559 (Cingular - Springfield/Joplin) decreased in PRI below ALLTEL
    00546/01258/01400 (ALLTEL - MO/KS) changed from D/A to [D]
    01192 (First Cellular of S IL) changed from D/A to [D]
    00017/00059/00165 (VZW - MO/KS) changed from D/A to [D]
    01408 (Mid-MO Cellular - MO) changed from D/A to [D]
    00340 (ALLTEL - Fort Pierce) changed from (A) to [D]
    01280 (Bluegrass Cellular - KY-3/KY-4/KY-5) changed from (A) to [D]
    08839 (?? - Dominican Republic) added
    01574 (ALLTEL - OH-4) changed from D/A to [D]
    00529 (ALLTEL - TX/OK/NM) duplicate [D] entry added in GA/NM GEO
    01534 (ALLTEL - NC-9) added
    02038 (ALLTEL - NC-5) changed from (A) to [D]
    01522 (Carolina West Wireless - NC-2/NC-3) added
    01788/02030 (Inland Cellular - WA/ID) removed from NEG list
    05406 (Northcoast PCS - Cleveland) removed from NEG list
    Last edited by 2000 Man; 02/03/2006 at 11:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Since the focus has shifted to PRL for the moment, how can I find out what version I have ?

And what is the 2 minute process to update it?

Thanks for the tips.

JC
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    Since the focus has shifted to PRL for the moment, how can I find out what version I have ?

And what is the 2 minute process to update it?

Thanks for the tips.

JC
    From the phone screen: Menu-Phone Info.

Call CS and asked to be to be flagged. After you're flagged call *2 and the process should start.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3
    From the phone screen: Menu-Phone Info.

Call CS and asked to be to be flagged. After you're flagged call *2 and the process should start.
    Thanks Twitch for your help. I called CS and they said my account was flagged. Should I have received a message that I needed to upate the PRL? CS told me that the flag meant that when I called CS (which I never do) that is when they would update the PRL.

Supposedly they updated the PRL when I called but it hasn't changed on the Treo yet. They said it takes 2-4 hours to reset. Does that sound right?

PRLLY Yours,

JC
    Thanks Twitch for your help. I called CS and they said my account was flagged. Should I have received a message that I needed to upate the PRL? CS told me that the flag meant that when I called CS (which I never do) that is when they would update the PRL.

Supposedly they updated the PRL when I called but it hasn't changed on the Treo yet. They said it takes 2-4 hours to reset. Does that sound right?

PRLLY Yours,

JC
    Dial *2 once again. This time it will tell you that your phone has been flagged for an update and to stay on the line until the update has completed.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Dial *2 once again. This time it will tell you that your phone has been flagged for an update and to stay on the line until the update has completed.
    Thanks John. This worked! I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the CS had no idea about this step.....

JC
    Thanks John. This worked! I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the CS had no idea about this step.....

JC
    I hate defending Sprint's CS, but you did write: "CS told me that the flag meant that when I called CS (which I never do) that is when they would update the PRL."

Seems to me that they did tell you to call CS again, which is exactly what you needed to do. Now perhaps they could have been clearer, but I could also see how they would assume anyone calling in asking for a PRL update would already know how the process works.

OK, defending Sprint's CS is making me sick. So let me get this jab in before I go: in the past, when the dearly-departed Claire 1 was on duty, all you had to do was tell her "PRL Update" and she gladly complied. No need to even speak with a human!

But Claire II interpreted that as "Update [or upgrade] my plan" and began preliminary steps of doing it.

Claire III seems to understand "PRL Update." She cheerily tells you, "sure, I can help you with that, I'll transfer you to a representative who can help you" (emphasis mine). Perhaps they need to add "contradiction" to her vocabulary.

So she sends you right to CS. And, for sure, it's not always a two-minute process. For instance, when I called (after I typed the first part of this message, which probably jinxed me) I had to go through a litany of questions and the CSR put me on hold (twice) because she didn't even know what I was talking about! After about 10-minutes she was about to hand me off to "Technical Support." Grrrrr! I told her she is perfectly capable of flagging my account. And she finally did. Then she mumbled, incoherently, something about how *2 will call CS. I refrained from screaming, "how the heck do you think I just reached you?!" and politely said goodbye.

Last time I defend Sprint's CS!

--
    Mike
    How often is there a new PRL?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Mike,

Yes, you were jinxed for trying to defend them!!!!!!!!!!

And so in my own defense...once the CS told me my account was flagged and I asked her what I needed to do..she said "nothing" so I asked her why my Treo wasn't showing the update and she said "it takes 2-4 hours to update."

And for some reason she also told me she didn't know about the process since she doesn't have a cell phone. Hard to be a knowledgeable CS if you've never used a cell phone-- let alone a Sprint cell phone....

I wonder why their service suffers...

JC
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast