Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else managed to brick their Treo? I upgraded from the latest Cingular ROM to the 1.70/1.20ENA version using the SD update, and my Treo is now stuck in a reset loop. I tried hard reset and zero-out reset, and I also tried Shadowmite's bootloader method of restoring the ROM (I tried the last APR and Cingular ROMs). Both appeared to flash successfully (and I'm certain the APR ROM did--the hard reset screen contained Chinese). Neither ROM stopped the reset loop.

Any ideas? I suspect the phone firmware is at fault (being that it's the part I can't alter) but I'm not certain.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I upgraded my Cingular from FW:1.51 SW:1.17 to 1.23 using the SD method and then using Palm 1.20 install. Everything works great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by eightball
    Has anyone else managed to brick their Treo? I upgraded from the latest Cingular ROM to the 1.70/1.20ENA version using the SD update, and my Treo is now stuck in a reset loop. I tried hard reset and zero-out reset, and I also tried Shadowmite's bootloader method of restoring the ROM (I tried the last APR and Cingular ROMs). Both appeared to flash successfully (and I'm certain the APR ROM did--the hard reset screen contained Chinese). Neither ROM stopped the reset loop.

Any ideas? I suspect the phone firmware is at fault (being that it's the part I can't alter) but I'm not certain.
    No offense, but isn't the user at fault? The Palm site clearly says that this 1.20 update is only for unlocked GSM. It evenly explicitly says that it is not for those whose Treo's were once locked, but are now unlocked.

I wouldn't say the firmware is at fault. Palm takes enough (well deserved) bashing around here. Don't ever forget that by doing bootloader updates with unsupported firmware, you are playing with fire.

I'm really sorry you bricked your phone. I feel bad for you. However, this is a good lesson to a lot of people who have been screwing around with this update and custom ROMs and unofficial updates. You have a real risk of bricking your $700 cell phone. When you do, just don't blame Palm for that one.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I updated my ATT/Cingular to the latest 1.20/1.71... you just have to do it via the SD method since the memory needs to be repartitioned. Installing 1.13 first would probably help also.

Install a very small custom ROM via Shadowmite's restore tool , then 1.21, then previous unlocked, and then the latest. Or look for the latest 1.20 SD version and that should work after you restore. You might need a patched AAAcheckerxxx file.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I was in the same position as you, no reset worked. But I used shadowmite's tool, and flashed an OFFICIAL RELEASE of a ROW ROM, i forgot which one exactly. After I flashed the old ROM, I did an Zero Out Reset, not just a regular reset. It worked after that. All i did was reuse the sd method and it worked. The reason mine messed up was because I took out the sd card too soon. Maybe you did the same thing?

I am betting if you pick a OFFICIAL RELEASE of a ROW ROM, and do a Zero Out Reset after you load the ROM correctly using Shadowmite's tool, it should work..... The tool is intended to fix that problem you and I had...

Mine was Cingular Branded 650, but I have been updating to ROW ROMS since the first one came out. I'm guess you need to go to a older OFFICIAL or at least a WORKING ROW ROM first, then ENA
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    No offense, but isn't the user at fault? The Palm site clearly says that this 1.20 update is only for unlocked GSM. It evenly explicitly says that it is not for those whose Treo's were once locked, but are now unlocked.
    When I say that the phone firmware is at fault, I meant that it was the component responsible. Clearly as the person behind the keys, I am ultimately 'at fault.' I'm not saying that the firmware is defective; I was pointing out that of the two components (phone firmware and OS ROM), the phone firmware is likely to be the reason I can't boot.

Furthermore, I understand that I'm playing with fire. I'm also very experienced at working on small electronics (I've actually done programming for prototype phones--and worked with some people who made prototype phone firmware. I've also helped build some ARM-based embedded systems.), so I take my skills into consideration when I'm flashing the firmware. That said, sometimes even experience isn't enough.

I'm not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with your post. When I purchased my "$700 phone" I wanted to be able to modify the phone firmware, knowing the risks involved with doing so. When I posted here, I wanted to talk to other responsible individuals who have made the same decision. And I don't mean this to be a 'flame' -- it's just that when I ask other people who modify phones for their advice and experiences, how is getting preached at relevant?
    Did you get it going?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

eightball:

Keep things simple. I make mistakes at least daily, of not sooner.

Yes, never update a Cingular GSM phone with ROW, unless it has been unnocked first (1.23) or other method.

Go to shadowmites site and do the recovery process. It works for many, many bricked phones...

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=shadowmite

then use your basic Cingular ROM (OEM) and ensure your Treo is working ok, and then if you wish, 1.23 (generic ROM which does no check for teh ROM version of the phone before flashing) to unlock your phone before flashing with any ROW ROMs....

then you should be ok and have an unlocked ROW, GSM phone.

If you don't like the ROW ROM, you should always be able to back-track, via 1.23, and go back to your original OEM updates.

You can get this PDF file which has much info, but it has been about 2 months since I have updated. It will be updated soon (a month or so) as many new OEM ROMs/customizations/info have come out.

http://rapidshare.de/files/7971564/T..._List.zip.html

Maria
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 01/24/2006 at 08:02 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Maria,

The path I took on this phone was:
    CNG->CNG->ROW->CNG->ENA

In case that helps you at all.

I tried the Shadowmite recovery process using the most recent ROW, APR, and CNG. None of those worked. I'm following Chenling's advice now and going for the last ROW ROM I used.

Matt
  10.    #10  
    Oh yeah--it was unlocked first, via 1.23.
    When I say that the phone firmware is at fault, I meant that it was the component responsible. Clearly as the person behind the keys, I am ultimately 'at fault.' I'm not saying that the firmware is defective; I was pointing out that of the two components (phone firmware and OS ROM), the phone firmware is likely to be the reason I can't boot.

Furthermore, I understand that I'm playing with fire. I'm also very experienced at working on small electronics (I've actually done programming for prototype phones--and worked with some people who made prototype phone firmware. I've also helped build some ARM-based embedded systems.), so I take my skills into consideration when I'm flashing the firmware. That said, sometimes even experience isn't enough.

I'm not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with your post. When I purchased my "$700 phone" I wanted to be able to modify the phone firmware, knowing the risks involved with doing so. When I posted here, I wanted to talk to other responsible individuals who have made the same decision. And I don't mean this to be a 'flame' -- it's just that when I ask other people who modify phones for their advice and experiences, how is getting preached at relevant?
    Just playing parent around here, as there are a LOT of people playing with stuff that is way over their head lately. Trying to avoid the slew of "I killed my phone trying to xxxx. Palm makes defective products..."
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Maria,

The path I took on this phone was:
    CNG->CNG->ROW->CNG->ENA

In case that helps you at all.

I tried the Shadowmite recovery process using the most recent ROW, APR, and CNG. None of those worked. I'm following Chenling's advice now and going for the last ROW ROM I used.

Matt
    After pushing the new ROM are you doing a zero-out reset?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I disagree. Firmware is phone software. You can have a treo boot up without firmware and even without the phone board. Sounds like a bad ROM upgrade.

I agree with you here... it's your phone, do what yo want with it!!! You should be able to get it going and learn something in the process and use ti to help others.
    I'm in the same boat as eightball, except that mine is factory unlocked and my order of FW versions is of course different. Eightball and I have both posted at shadowmite.com..my initial post there regarding this issue is http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5826#5826

I'd go into detail here, but all of that info is at the link above.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    eightball & anyone else w/ this problem.....Mine appears to be fixed!!!!!!!!!! I've just used http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=440, and it is working!!!!!!!!!!!! I flashed it using the restore tool, just as I had tried numerous ROMs before. I'm going to try using the official updater in a minute here. Eightball, I hope you subscribed to this thread!!!!
    anyone going to ENA should do it via the SD method and coming from a non-customized ROW install.

If you do an "unbricking" via Shadowmite's tool, you need to do a Virgin ROW install via the SD card method.

The SD card install is the only method that can repartition the memory area a increase it for bigger ROMS or decrease it when using a custom ROM.

The repair tool and palm's hotsync install do not repartition the memory area. It actually only takes about 15 sec to flash a ROM as long as it fits in the memory area. Firmware flashing and memory repartitioning is what takes a long time.
    So, here's what happened with mine to get it working again...
    1. Flashed (restore tool) with the ROM that I linked to above from jamesgangut
    2. Tried to use official updater but would not work due to 1.20 APR
    3. Used jamesgangut's latest "Custom3" (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=378)
    4. Saw that it seemed to go back to the reboot loop and went through #1 again
    5. Went through #1 again
    6. At this point, the SW was listed as 1.20 ENA (apparently from #3)
    7. Ran official updater successfully.

It might actually have been working properly and current as of #3. I say this, because the reboots during #7 numbered three or four in a row, just like the reboot loop that was the problem. So, if you go through any of these updates, make sure you let it reboot about five times, just in case it is actually doing something. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just use an OFFICIAL or WORKING ROW ROM with Shadowmite's tool. Zero out reset instead of Soft reset after using the tool. Reflash by any method you like, i used the sd method.

You should be able to go directly from a bricked treo, to working treo without worrying about what version or branded treo you had before (again, mine was branded cingular, I had no problems with ROW roms). After that just flash the ROM you want.

*There's 2 different shadowmite restore tools, I used the second version, the first version didn't work for me. Maybe this would help u I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Just use an OFFICIAL or WORKING ROW ROM with Shadowmite's tool.
    That was my problem. Other ROMs that I had used before, ROMs that worked for other people, and a T3.java parsed ROM based on the latest official updater did NOT work. The only one that DID work was the one I linked to above. The SD updates should also work, but the first time I did it (Friday) caused the reboot loop. Sometimes things don't work as they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Just use an OFFICIAL or WORKING ROW ROM with Shadowmite's tool. Zero out reset instead of Soft reset after using the tool. Reflash by any method you like, i used the sd method.

You should be able to go directly from a bricked treo, to working treo without worrying about what version or branded treo you had before (again, mine was branded cingular, I had no problems with ROW roms). After that just flash the ROM you want.

*There's 2 different shadowmite restore tools, I used the second version, the first version didn't work for me. Maybe this would help u I dunno.
    Same with mine. Gave me a fright at first until I did a littile more reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast