Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It looks like the guys at opera finally launched their opera mini today.

Anyone play with it?

opera mini download
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Why would one want to use 3.6 megabytes on Java VM and then the additional memory usage of Opera Mini? It seems like a waste of memory.
    Last edited by Hardcase; 01/24/2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typo
    I have plenty of room for Java VM because I don't use a resident email program on my T650 - I access my Yahoo and Outlook email through Blazer. I am hoping that when a version of Opera that is Verizon compatible comes out that it makes it easier for me to access these websites...
    I have loaded opera mini on my Verizon 650 and it works fine. Has anyone figured out how to import bookmarks either from Blazer, Internet Explorer or Oper on Windows? Also any idea how to set Opera mini as my default web browser so it will automatically open a URL link in my email (using SnapperMail)?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I love opera, but this browser for the 650 is absolutely useless - blazer wins hands on, or chiino.

no functionality at all in this opera mini. how can they even launch this as a beta?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber
    I love opera, but this browser for the 650 is absolutely useless - blazer wins hands on, or chiino.

no functionality at all in this opera mini. how can they even launch this as a beta?

I totally not agree.

1. Opera is much faster.
    2. Screen build up is better
    3. OWA is also much better.
    4. Banking by internet is possible (not possible in Blazer or Xiino)
    5. Use less data (so cheaper if you need to pay for your Mb).

Wim
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goettsch

I totally not agree.

1. Opera is much faster.

Wim
    you cant reload a page quickly, the menu is not intuitive, the bookmarks-section is practically inexistant - and I only got 160x160 resolution - but most probably I made a mistake.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goettsch

I totally not agree.

1. Opera is much faster.

Wim
    I use Blazer for online banking.
    I'm testing it out on a 600. I like the speed and rendering better than blazer, but I have a couple complaints and maybe someone can help me fix them:

Can you get rid of the bar at the top and possibly shrink down the bar at the bottom? These are a waste of screen real estate.

Is there a way to jump the cursor down to the bottom menu options (like the spacebar works in Blazer)? I've been having to tap the 'Menu' button on the screen. This is annoying.

Can Opera be moved to SD by ZLauncher?
    The wasted screen space is the biggest letdown to me. It does render pages very quickly and does save data I suppose. But it does seem to have a problem with rendering many pages.

I have had the beta on my Zire 72 for a while and use it sometimes, but rarely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcase
    Why would one want to use 3.6 megabytes on Java VM and then the additional memory usage of Opera Mini? It seems like a waste of memory.
    Just move the Java files and opera to SD card when not in use. I do this and the extra 2 seconds it takes to load the browser is more than offset by it's performance.

TS
    Answered a couple of my own questions here if anyone cares to know:

Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Is there a way to jump the cursor down to the bottom menu options (like the spacebar works in Blazer)? I've been having to tap the 'Menu' button on the screen. This is annoying.
    There is a list of shortcuts in the 'Help' menu which tell you how.

Yes. Tried it.

Haven't figured this one out yet:

Can you get rid of the bar at the top and possibly shrink down the bar at the bottom? These are a waste of screen real estate.
    any screen shots?
    The news editor didn't read the Opera Site carefully. It works just fine on Verizon TREOs. Opera means BREW phones like the v710 or e815.

Truth be told, the Opera folks should have left that disclaimer out of the page talking about Treo devices. It just confuses people.

Sam
    I'm testing it out on a 600. I like the speed and rendering better than blazer, but I have a couple complaints and maybe someone can help me fix them:

As you've discovered, the answer is yes. And since you use ZLauncher, you can also launch Java from the card whenever you use Opera, so your RAM can remain relatively Java-free:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104211
    Thanks for pointing me to that thread, ninodelsol. Now I can free up a little more RAM by moving the Java files as well!
    I

Yes, try *
    I downloaded opera mini and the java files..I put the exact 2 it asked for and when i go to open Opera it comes up with a "missing class library" saying "this java program cannot be run. Please ensure that the required class library PalmMidp20_22 is installed" i dont see that file anywhere from the Java I just downloaded...anyone know what to do here??
    I can't tell if it works or not, cause Opera freezes my 650. I do a launch, search, then bam, frozen. I have to take the cover off, and reset. Same with v1.1 as well. 1.2 didn't fix it. So, I deleted it once again. Kind of sad IMO, that the other 2 browser NEVER crash, yet this one I can't get to do squat.
    Mini review on this site with an interesting closing apargraph

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...a_java_palmos/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast