Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav3n
    I downloaded opera mini and the java files..I put the exact 2 it asked for and when i go to open Opera it comes up with a "missing class library" saying "this java program cannot be run. Please ensure that the required class library PalmMidp20_22 is installed" i dont see that file anywhere from the Java I just downloaded...anyone know what to do here??
    After I ran into this issue, I used filez and removed all j9* java files then java file itself (delete all the java related files). Then I reinstalled the two *prc files required. Then it worked.
    I started to write this reply earlier today using Opera, but it crashed on my when I got too wordy, so add that to the bug list. My observations:

- Not Palm-aware. I have to tap on the screen to open the application menu rather than press my dedicated hard menu button.

- D-Pad behavior different (and, IMO, worse) than Blazer method. Up/down moves through links, right/left moves up/down pages.

- Lots of wasted screen real estate. Two title bars at the top, one menu bar visible at the bottom. And yet they don't even use this space to show useful info like the signal strength or battery meter. Fortunately, you can get rid of one of the top two title bars by pressing asterisk (blue option button + X/7 key). Actually, you can get rid of all bars by pressing it again, but that also removes the menu bar, which I think should stay (though you can still press the bottom left of the screen and open the menu).

- No built-in support for small fonts, but FontSmoother remedies this nicely.

- Leaving Opera and returning to it always brings you to their start page, rather than the last page you were on. This is probably my biggest complaint.

- Always bugs you about whether or not you want to authorize using data.

- Masks password fields with asterisks. Bad! bad! bad! This makes sense on a desktop, not on a PDA where you're more apt to make a typo and less apt to have someone able to see what you're typing.

It has potential, but I'd really like to see them make it a native Palm OS app and design it around the Palm UI rather than this Java "write once, run anywhere" (even if the UI makes no sense on the platform you're running it on) nonsense.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I installed Opera tonight successfully, but every so often it would reset the phone. Using #*#377, I get

A reset was caused while running "Opera Mini": MemoryMgr.c, Line:2679, Chucnk over-locked
    Anyone else experience this?
    If Opera Mini crashes on you a lot, try the following:
    Go in to Prefs>IBM Java VM
    Select Opera Mini and set:
    Maximum Memory: 1Mb
    Stack Size: 2Kb
    Also I would check the "Use high resolution coordinates" which will give you visual improvement allowing opera to display high res images.

Setting the memory to these settings has made Opera Mini very stable for me. I've tried increasing Stack and Max memory individually 1 setting higher and it crashes. So leave these two at the lowest settings.
    For whatever reason, it stops all of the crashing.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thank you, taylorh! No more Opera crashes for me thanks to your Java settings tip.

Now, does anyone know how to refresh/reload the screen? I can't figure that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I started to write this reply earlier today using Opera, but it crashed on my when I got too wordy, so add that to the bug list. My observations:

- Not Palm-aware. I have to tap on the screen to open the application menu rather than press my dedicated hard menu button.
    Use "W" for the left soft button and "O" for the right (posted in one of the other threads, and works)!

- D-Pad behavior different (and, IMO, worse) than Blazer method. Up/down moves through links, right/left moves up/down pages.
    Yep, agreed. Posted that in the Opera Mini forum some time ago but no response Would think on regular cell phones that have some sort of 4/5 way this would be nicer as well.

- Always bugs you about whether or not you want to authorize using data.
    I only get this when accessing the first website from opera. After that I don't get it again. I think it might have to do with some java preference, as I messed around with the preferences back when Opera appeared in the midlet manager (it doesn't anymore) where there is/was an HTTP Permissions option. Once I set it by mistake to ask each time I had the same behavior, and there wasn't a way to have it ask just once. Ended up removing Opera and reinstalling to get that to work the way it works now.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I'm seeing two Opera's in Prefs/IBM VM:
    - operette-hifi_myopera
    - Opera Mini

Is this right?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    If Opera Mini crashes on you a lot, try the following:
    Go in to Prefs>IBM Java VM
    Select Opera Mini and set:
    Maximum Memory: 1Mb
    Stack Size: 2Kb
    Also I would check the "Use high resolution coordinates" which will give you visual improvement allowing opera to display high res images.

Setting the memory to these settings has made Opera Mini very stable for me. I've tried increasing Stack and Max memory individually 1 setting higher and it crashes. So leave these two at the lowest settings.
    For whatever reason, it stops all of the crashing.
    Well, my settings were already on those figures. The only thing I didn't have was "Use high resolution coordinates".
    Oops. It looks like I still had an older beta intalled.

The W/O shortcut for triggering the on-screen buttons works with the new version. Thanks.

I'm not happy with how it's rendering my mobile-friendly sites though (see http://tapland.com/mobile/ ) which looks fine on Blazer.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I like it & don't have any crashes. I will probably still use Blazer more often but this is a nice alternative. I have never been able to view my Paypal acct with Blazer & this works just fine. Although I get a warning at the top of the page that states: "The communication between your phone and this page is not secure."
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Well. I can finally log into Google Adsense with my Treo... It does that much.. I'm sure it'll get better with user input like we're doing here...
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    I like it & don't have any crashes. I will probably still use Blazer more often but this is a nice alternative. I have never been able to view my Paypal acct with Blazer & this works just fine. Although I get a warning at the top of the page that states: "The communication between your phone and this page is not secure."
    Yeah, I was just looking into that. From the Opera Mini help pages: "Note that the connection between Opera Mini and the Opera Mini server is not secure, so all pages will show as insecure, even if they are accessed using the HTTPS protocol."
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Now, does anyone know how to refresh/reload the screen? I can't figure that out.
    # 0 (that's a zero)

More shortcuts (mainly intended for "regular" phones, but with your Option key they all work):

http://help.opera.com/operamini/1.2/en/start.html
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have tried everything I can think of and I still seem to get that error that says I have to installed PalmMidp20_22. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, can anyone guess as to what needs to be done. I had this installed on my GSM 650 and it was fine but now I can't get this to install on my CDMA 650, I would love to be able to ditch Webpro
    I was able to install it on my Verizon T650, but was unable to access either my Yahoo Mail or my corporate OWA Exchange server - the http://wap.oa.yahoo.com site that I use in Blazer won't work in Opera. It also p*sses me off that Opera "disables" the standard cut and paste feature from the pulldown menu making it difficult to try out different sites from my Blazer bookmarks...
    I tried this. Worst product ever.
  17.    #37  
    After about using this for a day, I must say that I am a bit disappointed.

I love how fast it renders pages. Definitely faster than blazer does. As someone had stated earlier, the navigation isn't intuitive and the two bars do take up a lot of space.

My main gripe is that it does not load a webpage fully, meaning you have to click on next to see different sections of a website, which is pretty lame. I loved how blazer could display the full webpage, even if it meant scrolling to the right.

Asking the question regarding network connection during each startup is annoying.

Somethings that Id like to see changed are:

1. network preferences - it shouldn't ask me each time i oen it to actually go to a website. i'm usually connected anyways because I use chatter, so it should auto-detect that I'm connected

2. allow me to view the entire webpage vs having to click on next to see the rest of hte page

3. ability to remove the bars and still have the important info displayed, such as battery life, signal meter, web address bar, access to menus, bookmarks, etc.

4. option to openlast webpage when starting program. similar to blazer

5. ability to change the my opera settings, so i can create the links myself.

6. change the d-pad navigation so that the up and down arrows are for scrolling.

Other than that, it seems pretty cool. But I have definitely switched my main browser back to blazer.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    To continue....
    1. I wish my Treo could see this as an app. My screen times out after 30 seconds. When I'm using any other app, such as Blazer, it will continue to load pages without the screen turning off. Not the case with Opera. My screen times out everytime it's loading a large page.
    2. Can't log in to TC unless I use the WAP site.
    To supress the annoying startup message, find the j9sec.pol file. You can find it in the java-based app, Hourly4cast, developed by one of our own.

If I can get to my PC later, I'll upload it.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I actually like it a lot. I'd pay money for it.

It loads many pages much more quickly than Blazer. Amazon's main site is actually usable now.

The only thing I haven't liked is it seems to crash too often. Maybe I need to try the tweaks suggested above.

I really encourage people to give it a try. It's a far, far, better solution than Blazer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast