1.    #1  
    Review: Shure I series i3c

Today is a good dayÖ The wife purchased for me the new Shure Treo650-specific headphone/headset for my birthday. Wooohooo.

First some background. Aside from being a techno-geek, Iím also a music geek Ė I minored in music, and play a few instruments. And so, when it comes to personal headphones, Iím a bit of a snob. For years I looked high-and-low for a headphone that struck a balance between portability and sound quality Ė I travel for work often. After much research, I jumped into the Shure e series E3c and never looked back

If youíre familiar with the e series, the new ďmusic + mobileĒ i series is cut from the same cloth. Same great build quality, same great sound. No words can describe the sound-isolating and audio response I get from these ĖI donít have the equipment or time to perform true scientific frequency response charts. And so, trust me, or go out and listen to these yourself. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

As this is designed for the Treo650, specific features are a welcome addition Ė I always hated using a my E3c with an adapter; it added length and overall was just a hassle. The molded right-angle plug if the i3c hugs the Treo close and snaps firmly into the headphone/audio jack. The folks at Shure clearly kept the traveling user in mind with this design. For example, the overall length of the headphones is not excessive; IMHO, just right to hold in your lap or a coat pocket. About 10 inches up the cord is an inline volume and mic mute button. Another 26 inches and the unit bifurcates into the left and right wire. Each headphone is approximately 12 inches with an inline mic located about halfway up the right wire.

I was already a Shure believer having spent so much time selecting the older E3c headphones. From an audio standpoint, these are identical in quality and comfort. These headphones are of in-ear type and ship with an assortment of different rubber and foam sleeves -- both clear and grey silicon rubber flex sleeves are included in small, medium and large sizes.

For both incoming and outgoing calls, the Treo650 automatically muted Pocket-Tunes and cutover to the phone. Sound was crisp and clear. And best of all, NO VOLUME PROBLEMS as these are sound isolating, I had no trouble hearing in noisy environments. A few test calls to family and friends showed that the mic is also clear and not too boomy. After hang-up, audio was automatically cut back to Pocket-Tunes. In all, this function works very well.

My only complaint about these headphones is that Iím missing the external feedback of my voice. For better or worse, the sound isolating nature of these headphones do a good job to cutting out ambient noise Ė a must for quality music reproduction. For phone calls, however, I miss having the cues of my own voice to keep me from shouting. Iím sure with some practice, Iíll do much better.

Happy listening!
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    I was already a Shure believer having spent so much time selecting the older E3c headphones.

My only complaint about these headphones is that Iím missing the external feedback of my voice. For better or worse, the sound isolating nature of these headphones do a good job to cutting out ambient noise Ė a must for quality music reproduction. For phone calls, however, I miss having the cues of my own voice to keep me from shouting. Iím sure with some practice, Iíll do much better.
    Thanks for addressing this as it was my only question regarding these. I too have the E3c and can't imagine trying to hold a conversation with them in due to the isolation and how it would affect my ability to regulate my speaking volume.
  3.    #3  
    As I use them more, I'm getting better. It's no different than those that have used a digital PBX without audio feedback -- it's annoying, but you're not quite sure why :-)
    If the Treo had a 'side tone' like Nokias and Motorolas, I'd buy the Shure headset in a heartbeat. I couldn't stand not being able to hear myself talk. Oh well.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    My Shure i3c arrive yesterday and I got to try it today: not so good. I hope I just have a faulty one, because every time I move the volume control wheel I hear crackling in my ears.

I also noticed that HeadsetControl (a program I use to advance, rewind and pause songs in pTunes) doesn't work with the i3c.

Oh well. Back to the store they go.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    My Shure i3c arrive yesterday and I got to try it today: not so good. I hope I just have a faulty one, because every time I move the volume control wheel I hear crackling in my ears.

I also noticed that HeadsetControl (a program I use to advance, rewind and pause songs in pTunes) doesn't work with the i3c.

Oh well. Back to the store they go.
    Can anyone confirm whether or not JW Idea's HeadsetControl application is compatible with the Shure I series earphones? The new Treo specific Shure models are tempting, but I don't want to give up my HeadsetControl commands.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The Shure headset does not work with HeadsetControl. Too bad, because I really like HeadsetControl.

However -- my new Shure i3c arrived today. (The previous one didn't work right.) The sound is terrific, as is the external noise isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1
    Can anyone confirm whether or not JW Idea's HeadsetControl application is compatible with the Shure I series earphones? The new Treo specific Shure models are tempting, but I don't want to give up my HeadsetControl commands.
    The Shure headset does not work with HeadsetControl. Too bad, because I really like HeadsetControl.

However -- my new Shure i3c arrived today. (The previous one didn't work right.) The sound is terrific, as is the external noise isolation.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to defer my Shure purchase. I like HeadsetControl too much to give it up. Guess I'll stick with my Sony headphones and a 2-in-1 adapter for now.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts

Great news for my pocket book!

I can't see living w/o headset control.

I'll keep saving my pennies for the 4gb sd card. I'll cross this puppy off my list
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Can't wait to pick these up. What is the difference between the i2c and i3c? Where can you purchase these?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Can't wait to pick these up. What is the difference between the i2c and i3c? Where can you purchase these?
    thanks
    You can buy direct from Shure (http://www.shurestore.com/iseries/index.html) or locate a reseller from the Shure website.

The i3c is a higher-end earphone then the i2c. You will hear a difference between the two if you are listening to mp3's made at 128-bit rates or higher. They both isolate outside noise very well and in doing so, you'll be able to hear a lot of detail in your music. I am assuming you will be listening to music. If you listen to talk/voice mainly, you would probably be satisfied with the i2c.
    I have sound isolating sony earbuds and whenever I get a call I just take out the right earbud so I can hear myself talk...simple solution
    1 | 2
    Quick ? for those that have these... do you have the "Dual Connector" or "Single Connector" version. Im having a hard time envisioning how these look compared to each other.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Any chance anyone has used these with the new Cingular 8125 yet? After trying to pilfer my son's earbud/mic from his iRokr, I don't assume all 2.5mm plugs are the same. On my 650, I either have stereo sound or mono and the mic depending on how I position the plug. It won't give me both. I really want the Shure, but my 650 is about to be retired, so they'll need to be compatible.
    Thanks.

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    from what I read on shure's website, it seems that the headphones don't have a pickup/hangup button the microphone part like most headsets.

is that true? that would be a major issue to me.

edit:

another Q. with good headphones, what's the "sound quality" of the treo compared to comparative headphones on an ipod or another device?

thanks.
    In answer to your question about the pick-up/hang-up button, yes, the Shure's do not have this button near the mic. It's on a control module (along with the volume control) located about 12 inches from the end of the wire. In other words, at most 12 inches from the Treo itself.

I've just completed a review of the top-of-the-line Shure i4c-t ($329 single plug Treo version) and it was this odd ergonomic choice that bothered me most. Sound quality is superb with the proper ear sleeves attached. I had some problems with the volume control on two samples, but Shure tells me that they are currently "investigating this" and will do whatever is necessary to satisfy their customers.

My personal choice is the Seidio 2-in-1 headset/headphone adapter which plugs into the Treo's 2.5 mm jack nicely, and includes a hands-free mic, volume control and call button on a rather small module that clips onto your clothing. It connects to your Treo with a retractable cable that easily expands and contracts in length with a built-in retractor (this is optional, they also make a non-retractable version). It then terminates at the other end with a standard 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack so you can use it with any set of headphones.

To me this makes the most sense because you can then invest in a nice pair of headphones, be they Shure, Etymotic Research, Sennheiser, Grado, or what-have-you. This allows you to use your high quality headphones with your Treo (and switch easily between the Treo's phone and media functions). And since you're buying standard headphones, you can use them with any other device as well: portable media player, laptop, portable DVD, etc.

Anyway... to read more, check out the full reviews:

Later,

-Chris
    Last edited by boylan13; 04/06/2006 at 04:40 PM.
    Chris Boylan
    Home Theater Chief Resident
    Big Picture Big Sound
    http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com