1.    #1  
    I got an unlocked Treo 650 to replace my 1-year-old unlocked Treo 600. My provider is Cingular.

The problem I'm experiencing is that at my office, the Treo 600 switches from Cingular (one to no bars) to AT&T Network and gets me perfect reception with 4 bars of signal strength, while at the same location, the new Treo 650 just rarely locks on to the Cingular signal and loses it and then, most of the time, just sits in the NO SERVICE mode.

I tried to install the network selection overlay on the treo 650 and that gave me some mixed results. I am able to see two networks, Cingular and CINGULAR (all caps) with no mention of either one being AT&T. I am able to manually select the CINGULAR network and get 4 bars, but no DATA connection. Then, after I manually selected the higher signal strength network, it, I suppose, tries to go back to the original low signal network and loses the signal altogether.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kero; 01/23/2006 at 07:45 PM.
    I would go to your Cingular store and say: "What gives, here?" It's been a year, and they still haven't combined their network towers?

On the lighter side -- my previous AT&T now Cingular store had a tech that would make Shadowmite smile. Probably not one at every store -- but at my prior store the guys were always knowledgeable and helpful. (I moved on to Sprint due to the data plan pricing.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/24/2006 at 11:52 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply, Perry.

Also, if this might give anyone more clues to the issue, I'm using the same SIM card on both phones, the 600 and the 650.

I have no custom network selection apps on the 600, and have the network selection overlay hack on the 650.

The 600 searches and connects to the strongest signal network, while the 650 does not.

So, could this be because of the network selection hack on the 650?

I'm still on the 1.13 ROW. Not sure if the 1.20 version might fix this... probably not.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    Anyone?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Had the same problem. It may simply be an issue of what carrier's tower you are locked into.

Eg. My 650 is a unlocked GSM. My original service was from ATTWS (now cing). Goto Phone App/menu/options/select network

You should see several networks, 1 or more from your carrier. If you have a 2nd network from your carrier, select it...the phone will register and you will find you have much better signal strength.

This has worked for me as some of the Cing towers are old ATTWS and my unlocked phone defults to the new CING towers unless I force it to the old ATTWS network towers which are closer to my house. It is great as I can always fine the strongest signal if I need to.

Good luck!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Do you know if you have the 64KB Sim card? If you are not sure, you might take your Treo to the Cing store and ask if you do. Cingular released this in the last year.

There are updated carrier settings on the 64KB Sim card. One of my colleagues on Cingular had difficulty using AT&T towers without the 64KB Sim.

If your Sim turns out to be the older 32KB Sim, you can call customer care and they will send you the updated Sim.

They might need to cancel your current sim while the new one is shipped.
    Treo 650 Reception Problem – Fixed?
    I'll just tell my story, and see if anyone can learn anything from it.
    I bought a used 650, the antenna was detached due to lost screw, so i replaced screw.
    It had terrible phone reception, i had no signal at my house (we do have alum. siding, which causes some problems, but i'd always had ok reception before). I thought the phone wasn't working. Downtown (Chicago) i had ok reception. Since i'd gotten a good deal on the phone, i was willing to experiment. Bought an external antenna – let me clarify this: NOT the rip-off “antenna booster,” not an inductive one, but one that plugs into the phone. There is a small plastic thinggy which pops out just below the antenna, you plug in an adapter cable, then an antenna – usually sold to put on the roof of your car, etc. if you're in a rural area.
    The signal immediately improved, and i tried various combinations, etc.
    BUT a funny thing also happened: after i detached the antenna, the signal was still much better than before.
    The adapter cable has a little pin that goes into the socket, which leads me to two theories:
    1.the pin pushes against the built-in antenna connection and made it stick to the circuit board better.
    2.(less likely) there's actually some sort of simple micro-switch which disables the built-in antenna when you plug in an external one, and that switch was sticky.
    I'm now disenclined to disasseble the phone – now that it's working better – but maybe someone knows more about the mechanics of the phone to confirm this.
    In any case, i went from no reception (i.e. - “No signal, sos only” - to 3-4 bars at home.
    For more info. you can buy just the adapter cable for $5-$10, with the antenna for $20-$30 depending on your options – look on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Had the same problem. It may simply be an issue of what carrier's tower you are locked into.

Eg. My 650 is a unlocked GSM. My original service was from ATTWS (now cing). Goto Phone App/menu/options/select network

You should see several networks, 1 or more from your carrier. If you have a 2nd network from your carrier, select it...the phone will register and you will find you have much better signal strength.

This has worked for me as some of the Cing towers are old ATTWS and my unlocked phone defults to the new CING towers unless I force it to the old ATTWS network towers which are closer to my house. It is great as I can always fine the strongest signal if I need to.

Good luck!
    I have an unlocked Treo 650 GSM as well, but I do not see the option to select my carrier. I have the 64k Cingular SIM card and it seems the Treo automatically selects Cingluar as my carrier.

How can I select my carrier tower preferences?
    In the phone window, go to menu, options, select network. This will search for all networks and let you pick one. If you don't have this option, either you actually have a locked Cingular phone (see the hack that other people refer to, i don't have Cingular, so i don't know anything about it) or perhaps you need to update the palm software.
    Thanks. Apparently the Cingular 64k cards instruct the phone to hide the Select Network Option. I downloaded the patch to correct this issue.

For others with this problem, the patch can be found at gadgetech.info