Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Lots of threads and questions about intallation issues, bundle features, which software is best eyc, so, for housekeeping purposes, wanted to set aside a thread for strictly using Navigator 5 and it's particular quirks. Some issues to start off with.

1. Clockwise Bent - In order to get from my "home" to the "motorway", as UK Jane calls it, TomTom invariably sends me in a clockwise direction it seems. My home and office are located about 10 miles north of the "motorway" ... with regard to east and west I am about half way between Exits 68 and 69. When leaving to head west, TT invariably sends me east, then south to exit 69, forcing me to travel east to get to the motorway entrance so I can then head west to get to exit 68 and down. Seems heading west and south to exit 68 is more logical and must be shorter without going east only to retrace my steps west. Now when coming home on the motorway, it changes it's mind....it now wants me to get off at 68 instead of 69......seems whatever logic it's using to get me from Point A to B should be the same as from B to A.

I've duplicated the behavior with two additional examples. A friend who lives on a circular street, has the feeder street comonmh into the circle at 6 oclock and he lives at say 3 oclock. Invariably on way in TT takes me 6-7-8-9-10-11-12-1-2-3 instead of the shorter 6-5-4-3. Once there, it sends me on the shorter route.

Going to the first example, once I ignore it trying to send me east to go west, it recalculates a route which correctly picks up a little short cut which let's me angle over to the enxt road I want instead of waiting to intercept it. On the way back however, it no longer sees it as the preferred route and sends me the longer way.

2. Don't argue with me - To do my trip from Long Island - Wash DC, it wanted to send me on the LIE straight thru the heart of NYC. Even on a Saturday, traffic wise not a good choice, so decided to pass the LIE and take parallel east-west highway that lets me just skirt Brooklyn and over the Verrazano / Outerbridge. My measured mileage on this route was 299.0 compared to TT's suggested route which was 298.7. Of course as my route included rest stops fr gas, driving up ramps and parking, etc and traveling past my destination to go around block to hotel parking entrance, I am sure my route was shorter in both mileage and time.

However, after having TT keep telling to make u-turns to get back to it's preferred east-west route, once I was on the parallel east west route, I expected it to recognize that, now that I am this far south, it's gotta be shorter to continue west 50 miles, then to go 10 miles north to go west 50 miles and then 10 mile south again to get to the point where the two routes intersect. TT would not "let go" if its preferred route even though it was clearly much longer now that I had already travelled that far south.

3. Exit or Entrance - TT seems to have a problem sometimes with distinguishing exits and entrances. If you are on say Route 95 and the 4 lines split with 2 lanes bearing right to stay on route 95 and two lanes going left to get get on 295, it tells you to "exit". In some cases , such as at bottom of Jersey Turnpike you have to choose between 95 north and 95 south, it doesn't say anything. On way back, at same location, it did.

4. TomTom apparently recognizes one way streets but not "no left turn" signs. After passing a major street which allowed such turns, it tried to make me turn on the next 3 streets which had no left turn signs. After passing the last I outsmarted it by making 3 consecutive rights.

5. On entering Jesey turnpike it kept pestering me to bear right and get on the divided highway on the trucks & cars southbound section instead of the cars only southbound section. On northbound trip, it insisted on the opposite.

6. On what point on the return trip, it had me keeping left when the highway divides and then 0.1 miles later bearing right....there was no highway division, just straight road.....couldn't bear anywhere if I wanted to.

7. Most cities have a "beltway" a major highway which goes around the city like a belt. I'd much rather stay on the beltway until the exit closest to my destination then get off many miles sooner and travel through city streets and traffic lights to save 0.1 miles (I had "fastest" route selected not shortest.)

8. Doesn't alway recognize divided highways. On at least one occassion, I left the highway to use an exit where the service road parallel's the main highway for like 1/2 mile before the interchange. TT told me to exit when the service road reached the interchange but made no mention to exit onto the service road first. By the time it told me anything I was already past the point where I could do anything about it.

BTW, none of the above involved recent construction changes and by recent I mean last 10 years.

Anyone had any success with dealing with any of these "quirks". Perhaps it's just the learning curve but, to my mind Nav 6 need a few options / settings:

1. More waypoints - limiting to 1 waypoint is a PITA. Would be real nice to be able to go into the text route review section, click on a leg in the route and say use alternate or click on the map view and select intersections or interchanges. Itineraries are just too much work.

2. Should be able to save "preferred legs".....for example, everytime it wants to take me from my house to "motorway west", it should use my preferred leg of not going east to retrace and go west.

3. Needs a Commercial vehicle checkbox as trucks aren't allowed on many roads.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/23/2006 at 04:05 PM.
  2.    #2  
    4. Needs a "get off highway at closest exit" destination option rather than sending you driving thru city streets.
    i had a recent ski trip to utah and was using tomtom navigator 5 to get around. i really got to test it out because now i was in an unfamiliar place (instead of only playing around with it in my area). i'd say about 80% of the time it was pretty useful. for one, it has a very hard time when there is a complicated freeway junction where there are multiple lanes and multiple exits. also, i'm not sure if their maps are old but i find that a lot of times, the exit numbers don't even match up. for example, it tells me to get off on exit 314 but its actually exit 310. and there were many instances of that. and i hate when it tells me to take the exit, when i'm actually taking an on ramp onto the freeway. anyone from utah that uses tomtom nav 5 can confirm that the exit numbers are way off in tomtom?

i am planning a trip to seattle next to crystal mountain. so i load the washington map, and try to enter crystal mountain's address as a favorite. it won't even come up! it doesn't recognize the city, nor the zip nor the street! WTF?!!@ i used to use mapopolis and it had no problems mapping out crystal mountain for me. is tomtom's maps that outdated or unfinished?

i keep saying that tomtom is so overrated. not sure how come everyone loves it so much. its probably because there are basically only two choices for the treo 650, tomtom and mapopolis. i had to choose tomtom only because mapopolis doesn't run from the sd card and needs to be installed on the internal memory. tomtom does get the job done, but its not all that great especially the POIs. sorry just voicing my frustrations with tomtom and since it can't even map out one of my next destinations!
    I don't know if this was a cause of your problems, but Utah recently used updated survey info and renumbered several of the exits along I-15. I think they are about a mile or 2 different from the old data. The maps will be wrong until they are updated.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5.    #5  
    I have never has TT ever tell me an exit number. There were a few quirks I outlined in the TomTom Quirks thread.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105235
    I have found the same issues with the following items:

#2 (wanting me to make a u-turn when I chose to go a different way.). TomTom should just give up it's preferred route faster and recalculate based upon the current road the vehicle is on. This is the biggest issue to me. After telling me to turn around about 20 times in a row, TomTom actually froze, requiring a soft reset.

As a workaround, I found I had to clear my route, wait about 15 minutes to get further down the road I chose, and then recalculate my route.

#7 (TomTom chosing shorter city roads instead of slightly longer mileage on the freeway). This seems like an easy software fix. At least it got me there.

Another quirk I found was when I chose the "shortest distance" option instead of fastest time. I wanted to follow the highway through a desert instead of following congested freeways through cities. TomTom chose highway I wanted to take, but then TomTom directed me to a minor dirt road, covered with snow, which went straight into a mountain range (presumably shorter distance over the top of the mountains), instead of following the highway around the mountains. The "shortest distance" option should exclude minor dirt roads, or at least have the option to skip minor roads.

The good thing TomTom did in this instance is when I refused to take the dirt road, TomTom immediately recalculated the route and had me stay on the paved highway.

Like the poster in another thread, I also saw TomTom listed the wrong number on the exit (it said something like "Exit 120" instead of "Exit 122"). I think this is the result of recent exit number changes in Utah. There were 85 exit number changes. However, TomTom told me to exit at the right location anyway, even if the exit number was wrong.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I don't know if this was a cause of your problems, but Utah recently used updated survey info and renumbered several of the exits along I-15. I think they are about a mile or 2 different from the old data. The maps will be wrong until they are updated.
    ok thanks, if they indeed change the exit numbers then that explains it. i believe it was on I-15 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have never has TT ever tell me an exit number. There were a few quirks I outlined in the TomTom Quirks thread.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105235
    when i say it tells me the exit number, i meant that on the bottom of the screen it says what the next turn is, and sometimes (not always) it will say exit 310.

thanks i will check out the other thread.
    Like the poster in another thread, I also saw TomTom listed the wrong number on the exit (it said something like "Exit 120" instead of "Exit 122"). I think this is the result of recent exit number changes in Utah. There were 85 exit number changes. However, TomTom told me to exit at the right location anyway, even if the exit number was wrong.
    that would be me... i wasn't aware of all the exit number changes so that explains it for me. and yes, even though the exit number was reported wrong in TT, it was actually the correct exit. i just had to keep looking at the screen and follow the arrows to make sure i was exiting at the right place. but i started to lose confidence in TT because of all the differences in the exit numbers. not really TT's fault.

i also wish that if i am on the same interstate, it doesn't tell me to exit when its actually a fork or split in the road. it should just tell me to stay on I-80 or whatever it is instead of exit onto I-80 when i'm actually still on that same road.

and while we are talking about quirks, i like to add that i hate it when TT asks to turn on bluetooth when i start the application. sometimes i am not navigating but want to add a favorite, or just look up an address on the map. or pre-plan an itinerary. i believe in certain instances it will not let me look up something on the map because its telling me there is currently no GPS signal.
    Last edited by islandsnow; 02/22/2006 at 03:22 PM.
    Phew...and to think, I was just about to buy the Tomtom software but not going to now...seems it is a HUGE POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetmann
    Phew...and to think, I was just about to buy the Tomtom software but not going to now...seems it is a HUGE POS.
    if you have lots of space on your internal memory, try taking a look at mapopolis software.

it doesn't have the fancy schmancy 3-d maps, but it gets the job done. plus the voice prompts will actually tell you the street names to turn on. like it will say "in 300 yards turn right on main st", instead of "in 300 yards, turn right"
    How much internal memory is needed? Also, best place to purchase mapopolis?
    How much internal memory is needed? Also, best place to purchase mapopolis?
    not sure how much space is required but i think the maps can reside on your sd card. just the main app needs to be on the internal memory. you might want to visit www.mapopolis.com and email them. they are really good in getting back to you quickly (unlike tomtom, i still haven't had my question answered from 3 months ago). to purchase? i would try semsons.com. i've bought from them before and they are good.
    <merged>
    Well, despite the quirks I have noticed, and the installation problems, I think TomTom rocks on the Treo. I'm very happy with my PalmOne TomTom bundle purchase.
    Well, despite the quirks I have noticed, and the installation problems, I think TomTom rocks on the Treo. I'm very happy with my PalmOne TomTom bundle purchase.
    well i am satisfied with TT too even with the quirks. but what else choices does the treo really have? only TT and mapopolis i think. i wish i could try the mapopolis software but i am almost down to nothing on my internal memory.
    My quirk:

1. No banks/atm's as POIs? (At least, here in Florida). How could you leave such an obvious POI out? The top three things I am likely to search for while on the road are gas, food, and an ATM (cashpoint for UK Jane!).

The aforementioned bias against recomputing when taking a parallel road is very valid. Two days ago I was travelling up I-75 when we encountered an accident (well, we encountered the traffic which was at a dead stop while they looked for the apparently ejected passengers). We elected to take a parallel but smaller road for a 5 mile or so stretch to bypass the accident, and the whole way, TomTom *****ed at me to turn around. BTW - I was able to do a workaround - just recompute your route - "Navigate To" and pick a recent destination (the one you're heading to, of course), and it should recompute from where you are - hopefully not telling you to go back!
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  18.    #18  
    There's a good comparison between the two (mapopolis and TomTom) here:

http://twelveblackcodemonkeys.blog-c...us_navcard.htm

I really like th elook of On Course Navigator but not on pour beloved Treos a yet:

"OCN5 needs at least 15MB in order to run the OCN5 (L) - regional maps and 30MB to run the OCN5 (XL) - seamless USA or XXL - seamless North America map. User may use OCN5 (L) on their Treo 700w if they could reserve 15MB free PDA main memory (not storage), otherwise, we will just have to wait for Treo 700w version 2 with larger memory."
    They need an "avoid ghetto" option. I just got back from Tampa and when I went to my hotel, it took me through some of the sketchiest neighborhoods in the city. Fastest route, shortest route, fine. But how about a "Don't get me killed" route.
  20.    #20  
    This is my first downright huge error. Had to go to an awards dinner last night......had to be on time cause wuz guest of honor. Never been to joint (@ 55 miles away) before selected Bethpage as town, Hicksville Road, 345 as address and closest TT has is 344...close enough.

TT takes me thru Bethpage long past it and into the next town. As John Cleese is telling me that I am "at my destination" and I look at screen and it says my location is Hicksville Road, Bethpage I know sure fire and hell that I am in Massapequa and that the Town of Bethpage is about 7 miles north. Wound up being only 3 minutes late, no biggie but that was the 1st time TT took me to the wrong place.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast