Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TUnit: Where?

JackNayorPE: Warning - no street number is a definate red flag. But hey, at least you didn't wind up in Oyster Bay or something..
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    TUnit: Where?
    I honestly don't know where I was. I was in town to take the Bar exam, and was staying at the Hampton Inn in Ybor since it was near the Convention Center. It took me off 275 through some nasty "roads" that seemed more like mule trails, and I had a crazy homeless man scream at my car and flail his arms around at me. It had to have been somewhere around Ybor, since it did eventually get me there. It just seemed to pick the nastiest areas to take me through. I tried using it to get from my hotel to the Convention Center too, and it seemed to want to take my on a route totally opposite from all the signs saying convention center. It got me there again, it was just wierd.
    So, how did the bar exam go?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I came down with pneumonia 4 days before the Bar. The morning of the first day I had a 101 degree fever. I'm sure that didn't help me too much.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Warning - no street number is a definate red flag. But hey, at least you didn't wind up in Oyster Bay or something..
    I get that a lot. Taking 344 instead of 345 usually works....this joint has bene there 40 years so it's not a map update thing.
    JN:

I can't really take issue with your criticism, & I share some of those sentiments.

however:

1) let's face it, there's no such thing as a bad reason to avoid Staten Island

2) I am kind of surprised it screwed up like that on LI. sometimes when TT has gotten completely confused -- eg, on the Jersey Turnpike around the refineries and gas tanks -- I get a feeling that the satellites are jiggered out of security concerns, but I don't think there have been any defense installations in Bethpage for a long time (Grumman doesn't even have an aviation division anymore does it?)

not defending it. one time in southern Alabama I had to retrace twenty miles after it sent me to a closed road.

other points:

* I too find it annoying when TT says I'm entering a different highway when nothing has changed -- but in fairness, the truth is that "official" roadway names do often change.

* sometimes I get suspicious, especially when I find it's recalculating a second time. I often will reselect the destination just in case the receiver has been distracted by some babe in a Miata or something

the reason you might feel like it's overpraised is that for people like me, who have absolutely no sense of direction whatever, TomTom's worst guess is better than our best. and even if it fails, it can do some amazing things -- a few weeks ago I needed to get to the Orlando airport. I had a bit of time, and figured, why not save myself a few bucks (and the trouble of stopping at toll booths) -- so I set TT to avoid toll charges, it performed a miracle tying together access roads, ancient local roads, service roads -- and got me there, probably at the cost of only 4-5 minutes, if that. at times like that I feel like TT is giving something that very few locals could come up with.
  7.    #27  
    If it had a laptop component where you could plan and record a route waypoint by waypoint, my concerns would vanish.
    Jack, I spoke with a rep at TomTom who told me that the PC-planning feature is slated for an upcoming release, but gave no additional details. He also hinted that major update of the maps was coming very soon.

On the issue of "quirks," I've posted some of my own issues with the map data (not directly TomTom's fault, but a nuisance nonetheless) as it relates to my home area in North Carolina.

But I'm in San Diego right now at the tail end of a three-city trip that also included Los Angeles and on the Big Island of Hawaii. This was the first real opportunity Iíve had to test the system away from home since getting it three weeks ago.

My overall impression? TomTom is awesome. And Iím not easily impressed.

My wife and daughter joined me on the LA Portion of the trip. From our base in Hollywood, we visited Malibu, Beverly Hills, and the Santa Monica Pier on one day, and went to a breakfast place in Dana Point, and visited Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and Laguna Beach on a second day.

Itís possible that I didnít always get the absolutely shortest or fastest route on any of these drives, but I got there without the use of a map, and without getting lost. The one time I missed an exit (my fault) the software directed me off the highway, and along local roads to get back on track.

In almost all cases, it brought us right to the doorstep of the places we were looking for.

In Hawaii, I got to really put it to the test. I was catching the red-eye back to LA from Kona, and had to fill up with gas before dropping the rental car off. At the hotel, they told me about a gas station right on the way to the airport, and let me know that the next closest one was actually out of the way - on the other side of the airport.

I was running a little behind schedule, but not too bad. Until I got to the gas station and discovered that the pumps were all broken and the gas station was closed.

So what did I do? I looked up the nearest gas stations, mapped a few of them out to see which were in the right direction, which were closest to my current position, and which were nearest to the airport.

I selected the best one, told TomTom to get me there, and hoped for the best. After about 25 minutes on the main road Ė and after driving by the airport - I was instructed to turn left, turn right, and drive another 500 yards.

To my utter delight, there it was Ė a gas station! And on a road I couldnít possibly have found by myself since there were no signs on the main road indicating there was a gas station nearby.

I filled up the car, and got to the airport in plenty of time.

Here in San Diego, Iíve navigated to beaches, restaurants, bookstores, and even Balboa Park with about 95% accuracy.

And this is the important point: I did it all with no maps and without getting lost once. My wife, who complained that I was ďobsessedĒ with my new toy at the start of the trip, decided that she wanted to get a 650 with TomTom by the time she left to fly back to NC.

People have posted that TomTom is reason enough to get a 650. Iím not sure Iíd go quite that far, but if you already own a 650, you should get your hands on TomTom and a GPS receiver as soon as possible Ė I canít imagine traveling without one now that Iíve seen what it can do.
    Jack, I spoke with a rep at TomTom who told me that the PC-planning feature is slated for an upcoming release, but gave no additional details. He also hinted that major update of the maps was coming very soon.
    Very cool!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    TomTom has been good to me until today when trying to navigate from the airport to a hotel on I-35 in Austin, Texas. It would not take us their. It insisted the address was not correct. We tried the closest, we thought, and it had us going out of Austin southbound. Now this hotel has been there at least 15 years that I have been travelling to Austin for business. And I know I-35 has been there for who know how long. As a test, we tried several restuarant addresses around the hotel as well. None were considered a valid address. Out of curiosity, we asked one of the restuarants if there had been any address changes and the manager we were talking to said they had the same address for twenty years. Oh well, I guess you should have paper map as a backup, yeah right.
    Qualtalk, just curious....what hardware are you using? BT gps receiver or maybe one of the seido cradles with built in gps? thanks
  12.    #32  
    If I could use it "off road", I'd get the BT....but as long as I use it in the car, the cradle option seems best to me.....easier to carry from car to car, no batteries and Treo full charged on arrival....oh, almost forgot .... BT headsets still work.
    Jack....and is the speaker on the Treo good enough to hear the directions? Is that why you opted getting the 2350?
  14.    #34  
    Here's what TC reviewer has to say:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm

"When I reviewed the Seidio G4850 Car Kit, the only issue I had with it was that you could not use a Bluetooth headset with a GSM Treo 650 that was in the cradle. Seidio has since released the G2350S GPS Car Kit that removes the cradle's internal speaker, making Bluetooth conversations available again. Does the loss of the speaker mean a loss of usability? Thankfully no.

When I got the G2350S, I was concerned about voice commands since it would be using the Treo's speaker. I am happy to report that voice commands were surprisingly clear and I could still hear them over my radio's volume as long as I wasn't listening to something like "Highway to Hell" (since you have to crank up the car stereo for that song). You can adjust the volume in Tom Tom Navigator by tapping in the bottom-left of the screen. This also repeats the last voice command. "

I agree with him.
    After using TT Navigator 5 for about a week now, there are a couple things that bother me, and I can't for the life of me understand why a GPS would be like this.

1. POI's are just a dot on a map. No addresses; no phone numbers, unless you go specifically to the "call" screen, which is a detour in itself. My 3 year old Garmin Legend gives details on its POIs, why can't TT?

2. Since you don't have an address, you don't know which side of the street your POI is on, and the map doesn't give you an idea. It's smack in the middle of the road, as far as TT is concerned.

3. Freeway exits are just numbers, no names. When you look up at those big green (or whatever color) upcoming exit signs it doesn't say "Exit 49A 2 mi. Exit 50 3 mi." It says the names of the exits: "Jones Ave. 2 mi." I would imagine it is just as easy to incorporate the names of the exits as it is the numbers.

Otherwise I am tickled pink with it.
    Oh - hey - I just remembered another quirk:

POIs can't be distinguished from each other by address! So, if you are looking for the Marriott (as a POI rather than by address) and there are more than one of them, you're hosed. You can't tell which is which unless you select one and check the route.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I'm using the BT-338 receiver. I travel a lot so I bring the receiver and my window mount and I have "instant GPS" in my rental car. Also, I bicycle a lot and the receiver and the Treo fit nicely into the pockets of my bike jersey.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by qualtalk
    I travel a lot so I bring the receiver and my window mount and I have "instant GPS" in my rental car. Also, I bicycle a lot and the receiver and the Treo fit nicely into the pockets of my bike jersey.
    I would think that it's pretty much the same for everyone:

BT Users bring:

1. Treo
    2. Treo Car charger
    3. BT Receiver
    4. GPS Charger
    5. Treo Cradle / Holder
    6. Window or Vent Mount (assuming GPS receiver just thrown on dash)

Cradle Users bring:

1. Treo
    2. Cradle
    3. Charging cable
    4. Window or Vent Mount

Thing I like when switching cars is w/ cradle is everything is "attached" and fits in one hand. I do want to get a handlebar mount tho.
    yup many times TT would tell me i've reached my destination and then i would have to frantically look on which side of the street my destination point actually was. sometimes i spend more times circling around to get to my point when i'm actually right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook
    After using TT Navigator 5 for about a week now, there are a couple things that bother me, and I can't for the life of me understand why a GPS would be like this.

1. POI's are just a dot on a map. No addresses; no phone numbers, unless you go specifically to the "call" screen, which is a detour in itself. My 3 year old Garmin Legend gives details on its POIs, why can't TT?

2. Since you don't have an address, you don't know which side of the street your POI is on, and the map doesn't give you an idea. It's smack in the middle of the road, as far as TT is concerned.

3. Freeway exits are just numbers, no names. When you look up at those big green (or whatever color) upcoming exit signs it doesn't say "Exit 49A 2 mi. Exit 50 3 mi." It says the names of the exits: "Jones Ave. 2 mi." I would imagine it is just as easy to incorporate the names of the exits as it is the numbers.

Otherwise I am tickled pink with it.
    In my state, if you are moving AWAY from the city center in any direction (addresses are getting bigger), the odd numbers are always on the left, the even numbers are on the right. So if I know the address and the direction of the city center, it is easy to know which side of the street has my address.

I am guessing it works the same way everywhere.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast