1.    #1  
    My Treo has type "A" hardware. I've had it about a year now and have used the headphone jack sparingly due to the many reported problems with it quitting over time with frequent use. Now that I have a 1gb SD card I would like to use the Treo as an MP3 player but I'm reluctant to cause the jack to quit.
    Have any of you used the headphone jack frequently (plugging and unplugging) without problems?

Laurie
    The common problem with the jack is that if it "breaks", you will disable the internal mic and speaker and also speakerphone. You will then need to use a headset to talk on the phone and you will get no system sounds.

There is a software fix with volumecare, Freedom, and headcold. And you can also fix it by taking it apart and soldering it so it does not ever happen again. I have been fixing the problem for $60.

I don't have the problem on my phones since I installed a 3.5mm jack in my phone in the antenna.

I would say use the jack, that's what it's for. When it breaks get it fixed with software or the hardware fix... hope this helps.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I would say use the jack, that's what it's for. When it breaks get it fixed with software or the hardware fix... hope this helps.
    I avoid use of the jack at all costs since 3 of the 4 times I used it it thought the headphones were still plugged in (the common problem). So, I would recommend that you NOT use it since the frustration of getting it "unstuck" is not worth it (unless you have another phone you enjoying using just as much at your disposal).

I have Volumecare, and I don't think it fixes the problem. Freedom does, though (apparently).

I don't know... I'd get an iPod if I were you, and go with a bluetooth headset for your phone.

-Kirk
    I use the jack all the time and, knock on wood, no problems. I use the Palm headphones, so no adapter needed. I think most people have problems because they use the adapter which puts a lot of leverage on the plug. Also some cases may make trouble. I don't use a case.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I use the jack all the time and, knock on wood, no problems. I use the Palm headphones, so no adapter needed. I think most people have problems because they use the adapter which puts a lot of leverage on the plug. Also some cases may make trouble. I don't use a case.
    The Palmone adapter DOES put too much leverage on the jack. The best one is the cable-type adapter available from Seidio or similar on Ebay. It is also best to be careful about put it in and pulling it out.
    This works very well. No risk to the headphone jack.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=227
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    I avoid use of the jack at all costs since 3 of the 4 times I used it it thought the headphones were still plugged in (the common problem). So, I would recommend that you NOT use it since the frustration of getting it "unstuck" is not worth it (unless you have another phone you enjoying using just as much at your disposal).

I have Volumecare, and I don't think it fixes the problem. Freedom does, though (apparently).

I don't know... I'd get an iPod if I were you, and go with a bluetooth headset for your phone.

-Kirk
    I have worked with Freedom's developer to create an add-on module for VolumeCare to Bypass the headset jack for those Treo that have encountered broken headset jacks.

Here is the link to the beta version. I would really like to have some feedback on this new feature.

http://gotreosoftware.com/modules.ph...download&cid=6

Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    The Palmone adapter DOES put too much leverage on the jack. The best one is the cable-type adapter available from Seidio or similar on Ebay. It is also best to be careful about put it in and pulling it out.
    Just ordered the Seidio adapter. I would rather avoid the problem of the broken headset jack than use a work-around after it breaks.
    Thanks for all the input. I would say since only one reply talked about using the headset jack without any problems, that's a pretty good indication that most people either avoid using it or have problems.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Used mine for 9months and it broke last week while in my pocket listening to music.

Very strange. I get right channel only in both ears. If I apply slight presure to the plug, it clicks back to stereo. I pay for the insurance, so it will cost me $50.00 to get it fixed. I may opt for the adapter mentioned above, and wait for the 700p later this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargoth
    Used mine for 9months and it broke last week while in my pocket listening to music.

Very strange. I get right channel only in both ears. If I apply slight presure to the plug, it clicks back to stereo. I pay for the insurance, so it will cost me $50.00 to get it fixed. I may opt for the adapter mentioned above, and wait for the 700p later this year.

If your jack breaks and you get the dreaded "ghost" jack problem, the adapter will not fix the problem.

I would guess that you do not have that problem but could in the future if you keepo using the jack.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.