Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked before.
    What is the best *free* security/password software out there now? I would like to encrypt individual items as well as when you turn on the Visor.

Thanks for any help in advance.

- A newbie! :P
  2. RJT
    I like 'STRIP'. Been using it for some time and it appears to be very solid (and free). Other threads have also been positive with its reviews.

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...00&prodID=3912
    www.remain.calm
    Another vote for Strip here. The random password generator is a nice little feature, and I was able to move all of my passwords over to my Prism with no problem when I upgraded, too.
    -Andy
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright

I use Secret, and have had no problems. It has a free format input, so you can enter a lot of informantion and it backs up the, '.pdb' file when you hotsync.
    Strip
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I like Yaps. its very similar to the built-in apps.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Strip (naked) oops, did I say that out loud?
    Rose's are Red
    My Visor is Blue...
    If you're going to lock your Visor, do you also need to encrypt the data? There is currently no known way to defeat the lock out feature.

I personally find the lock out feature a pain to use and I use encryption myself. But using both seems more than needed.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by bregent
    If you're going to lock your Visor, do you also need to encrypt the data? There is currently no known way to defeat the lock out feature.

I personally find the lock out feature a pain to use and I use encryption myself. But using both seems more than needed.
    I agree. I wasn't too sure that the lock out feature in the Visor was bypassable (is that a word?)

I don't like the security hacks because when you reset you can get around the security. So what's the point, right?

I guess I'm looking for either/or.
    Thanks for all the replies!

- Sharon
    I use Strip also. I like that I can beam the app to others and it doesn't take all my info with it.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Check out "OnlyMe" from http://www.tranzoa.com or palmgear...

I've used it for many months (now registered) and it is very unobtrusive (easy to use)yet very effective at protecting your data in event of loss or theft.

I am running a NEW beta version which takes care of "Prism staying on when charging" as well as other enhancements...
    I'm sure they are very close to releasing it for public, but if you dont have a prism the current version is fine.
    I took a look at Strip, but it doesn't quite fit what I would want in security software.

Is there anything out there that allows you to password protect only certain applications while still allowing the unit itself to be accessed? For example, I'd like to find something that would allow me to lock down DayNotez, yet be able to hand off my Visor to my son so he could play Crazy8s in a supermarket line, etc.

Helen
    Originally posted by Helen5
    Is there anything out there that allows you to password protect only certain applications while still allowing the unit itself to be accessed? For example, I'd like to find something that would allow me to lock down DayNotez, yet be able to hand off my Visor to my son so he could play Crazy8s in a supermarket line, etc.

Helen
    Check out KidsPilot.
    Life's just a blast, just it's moving really fast, and you'd <BR>better stay on top or life'll kick you in the *** -Limp Bizkit
    If you're just looking at encrypting memos, then try Secure Memo Pad from www.certicom.com or search for CryptoPad on www.palmgear.com

Both ride on the back of the standard palm os memo app with a couple of differences...

1. Secure Memo Pad uses the standard palm database for all memos (encrypted or otherwise). If you open and edit the encrypted memo in the palm app you'll never see it again.
    CryptoPad transfers the encrypted memo to its own .pdb, preventing this.

2. Memos encrypted with Secure Memo Pad cannot be read on the desktop, CryptoPad supplies a desktop app for pc's (not mac though)

3. CryptoPad allows both global and specific passwords that must be repeated entered, Secure Memo Pad uses a single password for all memos

Having said that, Secure Memo Pad is very slick - a true palm app (not that CryptoPad isn't - just slicker IMO). However, if you're looking for combined security and enhanced memopad, use CryptoPad, it has more features...

hey ho, go play...
    Commander is a tabbed launcher that allows password protecting and / or hiding specific applications.

It does lots of other cool stuff like startup commands and shortcuts. It cannot be bypassed by a soft reset or a warm reset, so it is more secure than many other hacks that lock the Palm.

http://www.palmation.com
    Originally posted by bregent

Actually, the standard Palm password can be defeated by installing a program on the Visor that will show you the password at startup, or simply remove it completely.

The security of the Palm password is also gone once your applications are on the desktop. If your desktop data is available

A couple of apps that can display/open up the Palm are available at Palmgear:

pCrack - displays the password
    No Security - removes the password

For privacy on my Visor I use YAPS, and don't store any private data in the other applications. It uses Blowfish encryption and can be exported.

-Tim
    I recently recommended YAPS for password storage. If you use YAPS, be sure you DO NOT attach any notes to the encrypted data. The attached notes are NOT encrypted.

I just found this and will be switching to something else as a password safe. Strip is next runner up on my list.
    ----

Update! I just heard from the author, and I missed the boat here. Notes are not encrypted, that's true, but the Info field is, and it is plenty long enough to handle anything I was putting in the attached notes. The only thing I would like to see is some sort of caution that Notes are not encrypted so that the casual user does not get bitten.

Back on my great software list .

-Tim

[Edited by thewitt on 01-07-2001 at 08:03 PM]
    Where do you get YAPS? I haven't been able to locate it.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Where do you get YAPS? I haven't been able to locate it.
    I originally found it through PalmGear, but the specific website is:

http://www.msbsoftware.ch/yaps/YapMain.htm

-Tim
    I just want to add post by BruceMc re: Commander.

Commander is not compatible with 8MB or 16MB Flash Module. Forget about using commander if you are leaving your flash module in your visor. Until they come up with a version that is compatible with my Mem Flash module, I will stay with the standard build-in laucher.

My 2cents for security/password programs are:
    Commander v?? (for locking your visor for laucher)
    Secret! v2.6 (for keeping all my userids & passwords/pins)
    SecureMemo v1.1 (for keeping all other private data)

I hate hacks! I hate using it.

Chandra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast