Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this was going to be my choice until I heard Chandra say ...

" ... Commander is not compatible with 8MB or 16MB Flash Module. Forget about using commander if you are leaving your flash module in your visor. Until they come up with a version that is compatible with my Mem Flash module, I will stay with the standard build-in laucher. ..."

In what way(s) is Commander not compatable with the expansion flash module ?

To Confused and everyone here,

Commander is unstable if you have your mem flash module in your visor. Especially if you have program/s moved to the mem flash module.

Just by selecting menu> about Commander
    will give you a mem error msg and force you to (soft) reset.

Other than that, Commander is working fine if you don't have any mem flash module inserted to you visor.

Hope this help.
    Chandra
    (Long time Commander user, since the beginining of CheckIn program)
    Originally posted by thewitt
    Originally posted by bregent
    If you're going to lock your Visor, do you also need to encrypt the data? There is currently no known way to defeat the lock out feature.

I personally find the lock out feature a pain to use and I use encryption myself. But using both seems more than needed.
    Actually, the standard Palm password can be defeated by installing a program on the Visor that will show you the password at startup, or simply remove it completely.

The security of the Palm password is also gone once your applications are on the desktop. If your desktop data is available

A couple of apps that can display/open up the Palm are available at Palmgear:

pCrack - displays the password
    No Security - removes the password

Yes, but I was talking about locking the device. If the device is locked, nobody can install the password defeat programs.
    Originally posted by bregent
    Yes, but I was talking about locking the device. If the device is locked, nobody can install the password defeat programs. [/B]
    You are correct. As far as I know, there is no way to sync to a locked device to install one of the programs that remove your password.

-Tim
    Update Re: Commander latest version 1.46

I just found out that the new Commander is now stable with mem flash module. Cmd v1.46 was release early last month. Commander should be included as a standard program in PalmOS.

For more details please go to:
    http://www.palmation.com/software/commander/

Commander v1.46 (locks your visor and as a launcher)
    Secret! v2.6 (for keeping all my userids & passwords/pins)
    SecureMemo v1.1 (for keeping all other private data)

Chandra
    I like Tightly Bound the best.
    It used to be called gnuKeyring
    http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net
    It uses 3DES as its encryption algorithm,
    it's opensource, and your actual password is
    never stored. Instead, an MD5 hash of the password and a random 32-bit salt is stored.
    Original Post: "Update Re: Commander latest version 1.46

I just found out that the new Commander is now stable with mem flash module. Cmd v1.46 was release early last month. Commander should be included as a standard program in PalmOS. "

Caveat:
    Commander is, however, still not compatible to the Prism!
    As a long time Commander user, I love/hate it. Love it, because you really need its lock features. Hate it, because it makes the PalmOs pretty crash-prone. Lets hope they fix it.
    Originally posted by nitehawk
    Check out "OnlyMe" from http://www.tranzoa.com or palmgear...

I've used it for many months (now registered) and it is very unobtrusive (easy to use)yet very effective at protecting your data in event of loss or theft.

I am running a NEW beta version which takes care of "Prism staying on when charging" as well as other enhancements...
    I'm sure they are very close to releasing it for public, but if you dont have a prism the current version is fine.
    I just downloaded the newest version of OnlyMe, 2.08, and it still will not let the Prism be turned off while in cradle...
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Regarding OnlyMe...

I have version 2.12 beta... It works great with the prism.

Go to their web site and send them an e-mail asking when they will make available this version, or offer to beta test for them... I have had no problems in about 2 months of use.

I don't believe it uses any type of encription but I don't feel that is necessary if the only way to defeat it is to do a hard reset which erases all your data anyway.

The thing I like most is that it is easy to use... I have mine set to lock after 30 min.(adjustable, your choice) of non-use that way I'm not bothered by it during normal intermittent use.

I don't carry any nuclear secrets on it just some run of the mill personal info, credit card #, passwords, etc.

I just want to know that if I loose it or someone steals it the only thing they will get is a new visor if they do a reset. When turned on they see an information screen with my phone # and a reward offer.
    After checking out both KidsPilot and Commander, I decided to try Commander. I didn't want to have to remember to switch to the launcher my son could use every time I would hand it off (unless I misunderstood how KidsPilot works) so I went with Commander. I loaded it in last night, and so far no problems, but the documentation leaves something to be desired. I'm still trying to figure out all these options.

Helen
    Originally posted by nitehawk
    Regarding OnlyMe...

I have version 2.12 beta... It works great with the prism.

They have just released version 2.15 and it has basically corrected the flickering problem with the PRISM. Now, if you put a turned-off Prism into the cradle to charge it, the screen will only flash on once and then turn back off. That seems acceptable. I'll evaluate the OnlyMe further and let you all know what I find. If it works, I'll pay them, too ;-)

[Edited by nightingales on 02-08-2001 at 09:10 AM]
    (could a moderator pls. remove this post? I can edit it but not delete it for some reason).

[Edited by nightingales on 02-09-2001 at 08:51 AM]
    All thought it has a very silly name, I believe the solution for me would be PDABomb (or daBomb). It encrypts a whole group of selected databases when you shut off & lock you PDA. Have very strict logon features (only allow so many attempts), block out the Palm Debugger, doesn't allow HotSync or IrDA without first unlocking, etc. You can enable it en-mass only when you want to, or everytime you power down. You can have it only encrypt private or masked records, etc. Looks very promising.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Originally posted by bnystrom
    All though it has a very silly name, I believe the solution for me would be PDABomb (or daBomb)...
    OK, I give up. I can't find PDABomb or daBomb. Can you tell me where to locate this software?

Thanks
    It appears that PalmGears search routines are out of it again today.

Click HERE to go the PalmGear page for PDABomb.

The direct developers site is http://www.asynchrony.com/welcome.jsp

I have no association with asynchrony excecpt I may be recommending it to our DayNotez users who wish tighter security on the Palm.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Just visit http://www.pdabomb.com to download PDABomb.

NOTE: PDABomb conflicts with 3-rd party lock managers. You should disable one before PDABomb install.

Alex,
    PDABomb development group.
    I purchased PDABomb and so far it is working great! The price is reasonable ($19.95). It is the most promising security SW for the Visor yet.
    as I said I'd let you know....
    I've been using OnlyMe now for a few weeks and it has worked great with the Prism, so I paid my dues (10 bucks is OK I think) and will continue to use it.
    It seems so much easier and handy to use compared to a real encryption program. I always liked my Commander before, but since they haven't gotten it to work with a Prism I had to get something else. Can't have my Palm device unprotected.
    I use Only Me as well, and though this provides protection on the device by automatically locking it, it does not protect the data on the PC you hotsync with. If you are storing private information on that PC (or in my case, a networked drive), then this is open to anyone who would care to pry.

So, I use both .

I actually use OnlyMe to lock it, YAPS and Strip for encryption - they both server slightly different purposes.

-Tim
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12