Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just upgraded to 1.20 and randomly while i am using blazer, my treo will restart. Its very sporadic, but im pretty sure its blazer thats causing it.

it only started happening after the update.

Any ideas?
    Try deleting all of the Blazer files from RAM except Bookmarks. That should fix it. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    It won't fix it. It's actually a bug. I have found it before, which is also the reason I back to version 1.43 now.

Blazer will always clear the dbcache "smartly" once it is launched, no matter how low the dbcache is. Your treo 650's dbcache may jump from 1.0MB to 8.0MB suddenly after the launch of blazer, but the MaxChunk of dbCache still remains at 1.0MB. Because blazer need at least 3.4MB continuous dbCache to run, it crashed instantly once the maxchunk is lower than 3.4MB.

You can repeat this bug easily. Just run all programs in your treo 650 one by one (esp xinoo or Tomtom 5), and check the dbcache using KGT+. Once the dbcache is close to 3.4MB, you can launch blazer and then exit blazer. Now, Check the dbcache again, you will get a very high number. Launcher blazer and go to a website, you will get a crash soon.

Blazer only makes the dbcache managerment worse.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    On my Cingular Treo (see sig. for version #), Blazer increases the total and max continuous block of dbCache (as reported by MemoryInfo).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    On my Cingular Treo (see sig. for version #), Blazer increases the total and max continuous block of dbCache (as reported by MemoryInfo).

I don't know cingular ROM. V1.43 ROW ROM also increases both. But ROM 1.70, 1.71 or the latest doesn't increase max chunk.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
  6.    #6  
    any other browsers out there that are better than blazer?
    Set blazer to clear the cache after closing it...it maybe a DBcache issue...see my thread...http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105172

and let me and others know if this is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000
    Just upgraded to 1.20 and randomly while i am using blazer, my treo will restart. Its very sporadic, but im pretty sure its blazer thats causing it.
    I get soft resets when starting Blazer and the GPRS connection is in progress. Not always but often enough to be a real pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Try deleting all of the Blazer files from RAM except Bookmarks. That should fix it. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    This worked for me as well.
    I upgraded from 1.13 to 1.20 GSM ROW and have not had any reset problems with Blazer. I have it set to max page load size and clear cache on exit. When I upgraded I created an entirely new user id and reloaded each program one-by-one.

The only file I used from my old user id was blazer bookmarks.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I *think* I *might* have fixed the Blazer crash issues I was having. First I made a list of all the third part apps I have that I reckoned might be running in the background, i.e. LEDOff, KB LightsOff, Hi-Launcher and TrafficStat. PalmInternals can be useful for finding background apps:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/palminternals.shtml

I then locked all off background apps using Resco Locker:

http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/default.asp

I've since tried really hard to crash the phone using Blazer, dropping NVFS Cache Largest Free Chunk as low as 2774 KB (and Dynamic Heap Largest Free Chunk as low as 1776 KB) - numbers from MemoryInfo. So far, no crashes!

Tentative theory: it's not the absolute amount of NVFS Cache that's important, rather it's what's kicked out when Blazer does its autoclear thing. Kicking out databases for background apps is what causes the problem. I'm no expert in this (to say the least!) and this reasoning is based mostly on this discussion of Resco Locker on the Resco site:

http://www.resco.net/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=757

I'd be very interested to know if the solution that seems to work for me works for other too.
  12.    #12  
    ^^ i will try that, thank you...

EDIT: So far so good!
    At this point, the only way I can force a reset is by streaming internet radio (PTunes) and then opening Blazer. Playing an Ogg file doesn't cause a similar reset. I have not tried to delete the Blazer files in RAM.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Update. Still no crashes. I've found a good way of dropping the NVFS Cache really quickly: choose 'Full Backup' in RBackup. I've dropped Total Free NVFS Cache and Largest Free Chunk to, e.g., 1725 KB and 1610 KB respectively and Blazer still launches fine
    marcol...which apps are you locking with Resco Locker???
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwinter
    i've locked Butler and VolumeCare and havent had a restart since
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwinter
    I've locked LEDOff, KB LightsOff, Hi-Launcher and TrafficStat. The basic idea was to lock anything that runs in the background, waiting for a button press (KB LightsOff, Hi-Launcher) or a change of state (LEDOff - monitors phone coverage, charging/charge status; TrafficStat - monitors GPRS usage). If you use PalmInternals:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/palminternals.shtml

run it and then tap the "Notif." button. As I understand it (and as far as I can deduce) the apps that run in the background are listed under "hapl", "hede", "hapq" and "hvch". I've no idea what those terms mean - if someone who does could chime in that would be great!

Still reset free!
    The funny thing is that Palminternals crashes/resets my Treo every time I run it. Even after a fresh reset it still crashes after scanning memory. I've obviously got some serious issues.
    I locked a bunch of known background apps, then Palminternals ran, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. Now that you explained it I'll try again.
    I locked: XpressMail, LEDOff, Profiles, Netselect, Snappermail exchange, PTunes. And I still get crashes so I must be missing something. I don't use Volumecare currently.
    I'll keep experimenting and update.

I'm just shocked and appalled that Palm released this version with such a major and obvious bug. How the hell did this make it through beta testing. I give them credit for a lot of fixed and improvements but this bug is complete garbage.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have the same problem with the 1.20/1.71 update when starting Blazer.
    In the end, I give up Blazer and switch to Xiino, which is far batter than Blazer.
    Faster, no crash at all.
    I really recommend Xiino.

BTW, is there anyway to set xiino as the default browser ??
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    The funny thing is that Palminternals crashes/resets my Treo every time I run it. Even after a fresh reset it still crashes after scanning memory. I've obviously got some serious issues.
    I think you mtn "it's" not "I've". Palminternals crashes on my 1.28 FW as well every time I scan the databases, resco locking everything relevant, etc.. I just don't let it scan anymore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast